Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How I became a Camaro guy.... You??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I became a Camaro guy.... You??

When I was a kid I delivered papers for like 5 years. (This was in Iowa - ever delivered newspapers when the air temp is -30? It ain't fun.)

Anyway...this one house NEVER had the garage door open. No big deal right? Well, ONCE in five years the door was open and he had a CAMARO in there. And I mean a FINE Camaro. First gen. I was like 12, so I didn't know CRAP about them, but even to this day I remember that car. It was showroom condition - green with white stripes. Don't have a clue if it even had an engine in it, but the body was stunning.

You figure over five years I was at that house 1800 times and I saw the car once.....man, that car was SWEET....

Oh, and my neighbor had one - he gave me a ride home from high school a few times, but that car was kind of tore up.....
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

I actually saw one daily when I was delivering papers... around an 88 RS, I believe. That was my first notion of wanting one... a cousin of mine has had several, and I finally traded in my 95 Mustang GT for the one I currently have.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

As a kid I had always admired the Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds. I would always see the teenagers fly through the neigborhood in those 5.0 Mustangs and my neighbor had an old T/A that was sooo loud so that really got me into it. Also, my dad was a Camaro fan so he kinda got me into it as well. At the time I was actually a bigger mustang fan being around 10-12 years old. Last year when I was 16 I started looking for Mustangs. Well, my dad wouldnt let me buy one cause he hates Ford and the Mustang as well so he said he would get me either a Camaro or a Firebird (thank god for that now that I realize). We looked and looked at many f-bodys and the nicest '95 I ever saw I bought which was a Firebird Formula. But Camaro and Firebirds are definetly my favorite cars and I am HOOKED!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I was around 13 is when I really started to notice that Camaros/firebirds always had there own unique figure, They looked like no other car. Thats what I liked about them. Then when I turned 16 my dad got me a 94 camaro 3.4l bone stock for my first car damn I was happy to have my own camaro. Now Im on my 3rd car since then (the SS). I plan on keeping this car forever.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

t'was a hot day like usual 1995 a was only a little nibbler when my brother pulled in with a 1986 Iroc-z camaro course I was too young to even know what a camaro was but at the time my brothers car was newer than my parents car It sounded great it was fast and it was black as my brother started to work on it I became more and more profiecient with it I've love camaros since I was 4 and I'm not about to stop.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I had always loved the trans am, seeing black with chrome fly down the street got me going loved it and I wanted one so bad. My first car was a 94 bonneville not a bad first car but then I woke up one day and found my parents coming home from car shopping they said they had been looking at some very nice camaros so that day we went and I checked them out for myself and fell in love. There were 3 one was white 2001 with tinted windows another red 2001 and the third was a blue 2002 RS with grey racing stripes. It was the white one that cought my eye and the next day it was in my drive way. I was really into that car hooked it up with exhaust, hypertech programmer, and chorme rims it was hot. But then I wanted speed and started searching for a z28 or ss and ended up finding my dream car a 2001 arctic white ss m6 which I currently own. I will have this car forever as far as im concerned I will rebuild it someday if needed.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroPOWER
But then I wanted speed and started searching for a z28 or ss and ended up finding my dream car a 2001 arctic white ss m6 which I currently own. I will have this car forever as far as im concerned I will rebuild it someday if needed.
Nice choice for a car....I wanted the M6 but the other half can't drive one....which is why I should have gotten the M6

Even still, I've had if for about 6 1/2 months and she's driven it like 3 times....
Old 07-09-2005, 03:45 AM
12 Second Club

In the early to mid 90's i was probably 8-9 and my neighbor had a VERY nice 1990 IROC-z that was black with the gold Iroc lettering. It roared and he gave me a ride in it once and I thought it was fast as hell. As a matter of fact, he still has that car. I also remember when my mom was looking for a new car in 1993 and she was looking at a 1993 z28 and I really liked it then too. Then what really got me hooked on camaros was when I was 16 a few years back riding in my friends 1995 LT1 camaro, and man that thing was fast(in my eyes back then). Also my best friend has and had always liked mustangs, so i had to of course pick the rival. We both have the cars we loved growing up now, he has a 1995 GT and I got me a nice ol 1991 L98, cept I kick his ***
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted something under $5k and was sporty. At first I wanted an Eclipse GSX, but back in 99, they were really expensive. So then I noticed an 88 coupe at a used car dealer. It only had a 2.8 but was a 5 speed. I wanted it sooooooo bad, but my parents wouldnt help me out with it at the time. So I started working and researching and then decided I was going to get an IROC with a 350. September of 99 I got my 89 L98. Since then, I've had the 01 Z28 and 00 SS in my sig, as well as my newest purchase a 91 Z28 L98. Sucks thought that I'm planning on a Cobra in the spring - where is the new Camaro GM???
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 PM

I came to be a Camaro owner because I was looking at Cobra R Mustangs , and couldn't afford the ridiculous sums the dealers were charging for them. I just happen to read a two sentence blurp in Chevy High Performance magazine in about 93' that talked about something called the 1LE package. It's Chevy's version of an R-Model. I researched up on it, and discovered that GM had it all the way back in the 80's. I fell in love in with it, but it wasn't until the advent of the LS1 engine that I became an owner.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was always into cars as a kid, loads of hot wheels, etc. My two favorite TV shows were Dukes of Hazzard(re-runs) and Knight Ridder. I wanted a KITT car, bad. I didn't realize it at the time, but even at 8 or 9 I had sheets with a 3rd gen Camaro' on it, also Carreras and 308's, but I loved the Camaro.

Luckily enough when I was out looking for a cheap first car at 17 we ran across a Black 1990 RS 305, it was more than my dad was going to spend, but he drove it, liked it and hooked me. Much speeding ensued

I'm now 24 and I sold the RS just last year boy was that tough, but I found my Z28 and even though the looks aren't as good as the third gen it does everything else better, I love it.

Hooked for life...or till I can afford an LS7 ZO6 ...and I'll still have a Camaro then too, lol.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I grew up listening to stories about the stuff my dad and his friends did in their muscle cars and we always had something in the garage as I was a kid (always some GM intermediate muscle), so rear wheel drive American performance cars are pretty much in my DNA. But I really noticed Camaro's the day my Dad came home with a black 85' Z28 w/ a 5-sp and t-tops (mid life crisis I guess). The Z28 was only a few years old when he got it and I was around 13. It was about the coolest car I'd been in (in my mind anyway). When I finally turned 16 I knew I wanted a 3rd gen Z28 or an Iroc... when I finally convinced my parents I could handle an actual performance car I looked for a Z28/Iroc, what I got instead was a 69' Camaro. If you're a 17 year old kid with a 69' you pretty much have become a 'Camaro Guy'. After a car like that you realize there isn't much better.

Many years and 16 f-bodies from every generation and most models later (13 of those are Camaro's) , and I have two cars that I'm not ever planning on getting rid of (signature). So, I'll be a Camaro guy forever at this point. Plus I plan to inherit a 68' SS Camaro that my Dad has sitting in garage right now. And I wouldn't rule out another 1st or 3rd gen in my future... if the wife lets me : )
Old 07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I wanted something under $5k and was sporty. At first I wanted an Eclipse GSX, but back in 99, they were really expensive. So then I noticed an 88 coupe at a used car dealer. It only had a 2.8 but was a 5 speed. I wanted it sooooooo bad, but my parents wouldnt help me out with it at the time. So I started working and researching and then decided I was going to get an IROC with a 350. September of 99 I got my 89 L98. Since then, I've had the 01 Z28 and 00 SS in my sig, as well as my newest purchase a 91 Z28 L98. Sucks thought that I'm planning on a Cobra in the spring - where is the new Camaro GM???
Your story is somewhat similiar to mine. I got my Camaro in 1991 (after my first car, a '73 Torino bit the dust). It was an '88 Sport Coupe with the 2.8, auto and t-tops. It was a beautiful black and gold paint scheme. I loved that car. I probably had the tops out almost every day that summer, I didn't even mind that it had the V6. I decided the next year to paint it teal, first because I loved that color when it came out, and second because it made my car look brand new. I also put matching "RS" emblems on it. You could hardly tell it was an '88. Then I wrecked it 3 years after that and bought a brand new Eagle Talon ESi. After 5 years of four cylinder power, I wanted an F-body again, but a V8 one this time. When I found out that GM was about to cancel the F-body I made plans to buy one right away. That's when I got the Formula. The only reasons I didn't go for a Z28 were those ugly stock rims they had, and the fact that my dad had a '94 and I wanted something different.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well for me, my older sisters boyfriend at the time in 98 or 99 had a late 80's IROC-Z in black that I thought was so fast, course I was no older than 14 or so. I never really got into sports car until a few years ago when I was in High School. I used to really look up to the kids in my class who drove LS1 Camaro's and Trans Ams...I thought they were the most gorgeous cars ever, and they got all the attention. I wanted one sooo bad but thought I couldn't have one due to my age and astronomical insurance rates. Instead, I looked for a Turbo eclipse, or something quick like it. Well, with almost no money and only 16-18 years old I went thru 2 really cheap cars before I landed on my 99 Z28. Since, I have been in love with the 4th gens and american V8 muscle cars!

Last edited by Ell Ess Won; 07-19-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

A couple of years ago, a friend I worked with had a beautiful 79 z28 that he'd drive to work every once in a while (we both worked in a shop.) I'd always been into cars, but never much into camaros. I had a friend who constantly raved about the ls1 motor and 3rd gen camaros, but having a civic and friends who had integras, jettas, etc, I really don't think I ever could relate and found him annoying at the time actually cuz that's *all* he would talk about. Couple of years later, now I know what he was talking about. My friend finally sold me that car, but little did I know the work that was in store for me. I've had it for a year, and still haven't driven it due to massive amounts of steering/suspension problems, plus I was in college so I didn't have the time or finances to dedicate to it. But I've been working on it as much as I can, unfortunately minor repairs mainly and electrical since I still haven't found post-college employment.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice looking 2nd gen. Good luck on geting her going.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been fortunate to have friends and relatives that had hotrods. Some of them Camaros. I went to a car show not long ago and was amazed at how many types I've been close to over the years. The Camaro just seemed to be the epitome of all that is a Hot Rod.

I never got one mostly due to the fear that I would wake up the next day with a mullet. Just kidding.

Now that I'm in a place in my life where I can get my own, the Camaro was the natural choice. I tried a third gen RS, and thought it was cool. I learned a lot fixing that one up.

When I decided to sell my Harley it allowed me to get a nice fourth gen model. I'm tickled to death, and having a great time.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad owned a 68 SS conv and a 73 coupe before my time in this world started, but my sickness began with his purchase of a 67 coupe race car. Bought in 1985 and still owns and races it to this day (I'm sure he'll never sell it, and has mentioned being buried in it a few times). I've always wanted a 1st gen Camaro, but waiting for the right one to come along (good shell without motor/trans for me to make my project).

Derek
Old 07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What got me hooked on Camaros was the 3rd Gens. I absolutely loved their looks when I was young.... then I went to Okinawa with the Family in 92, when I came back in 95 the 4th gens were well into production and lots were on the road... and I almost fell over when I first saw one.... my dad being a computer guy, I no automotive knowledge whatsoever, so I thought it was some sort of ultra exotic car. My interest grew from there. When they started playing the Famous Camaro commercial, the one with the two kids in their room listening to cars drive by, it solidified it... I had to have an fbody.

I finally got one in 98, it was a HO 1985 IrocZ. Fun car, I learned alot from it.... I finally sold it after I made a poor cam choice and decided maybe Fbody's wasn't for me..... the Cam was ridiculous.... I pulled the 305 and dropped in a 355 with domed pistons and Camel Hump heads, with the cam the car wouldn't idle at anything below 1200 rpms.... and even then it sounded super lopey.

I experimented with other cars after that... a 97 Chevy PU, a 98 GTP, an 04 SRT 4, and Im finally back to Fbodys where I should have stayed...
Old 07-23-2005, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Back in the disco era my parents had camaros (71 SS/78 LT) and uncle had a 78 Gold T/A, but mainly they bought them for looks and all had disappeared when I came along. My earliest F-bod memories was watching Smokey and the Bandit thinking "What the hell is that beast?!?!". I was big into VW beetles when I was around 6-7 but had begun noticing the then new 3rd gen Z28's. I wasn't totally hooked until I was 12 when my uncle came over with an 89 black formula 305. Fast forward to 16 and I found a 90 formula with 59k miles, parents said it was too old and we agreed on my 95 V6. Loved it despite it's lack of speed. I enjoyed owning my camaro but after I met a fellow tech member, I had to have the WS6. I have no plans on selling the car but if extenuating circumstances do happen, I'll just buy another at some point

Quick Reply: How I became a Camaro guy.... You??