Sponsored by:

LS1 Failing Head gasket

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Failing Head gasket

Hello Everyone,

My 2001 Trans Am WS6, at 188,776 miles, has a failing Head gasket. This is my Daily Driver, and would like to squeeze a few miles out of her before a rebuild or engine swap.

While the Heads are off, should I replace the Rods and lifters?

Since the oil gunked up the Radiator, which will need flushing, should I replace the Water Pump (replace 50k miles ago) at the same time?

Also, going to do the Corvette Steering Pump Mod and dedicated cooler.

Will do Oil change and make sure its clean.

Should I run the car for a few with water to try and clean some of the crap out first?

Anything else I should do while there?

Again this is not a track car, but a daily driver. Want to put in good reliable parts.

Can anyone recommend good Head Bolts, Gaskets and any other parts suggested.

Thanks.....

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikadoWu
Hello Everyone,

My 2001 Trans Am WS6, at 188,776 miles, has a failing Head gasket. This is my Daily Driver, and would like to squeeze a few miles out of her before a rebuild or engine swap.

While the Heads are off, should I replace the Rods and lifters?

Since the oil gunked up the Radiator, which will need flushing, should I replace the Water Pump (replace 50k miles ago) at the same time?

Should I run the car for a few with water to try and clean some of the crap out first?

Anything else I should do while there?

Again this is not a track car, but a daily driver. Want to put in good reliable parts.

Can anyone recommend good Head Bolts, Gaskets and any other parts suggested.
If the pushrods aren’t bent or don’t show any damage, I would say just leave them, same with the lifters. I replaced my plastic lifter trays for cheap insurance, something you should consider IMO.

The water pump should be fine, when you do the flush everything should come out. I’d say maybe throw a new thermostat because that may have gotten clogged, dirt on the seal, etc.

I would say no to running water to clean it out, reason being is because if you’ve got a bad head gasket and you’ve been driving on it, you probably have coolant in the oil. Not good for viscosity or the oils lubricant property. So running the engine under that condition isn’t something I would do.

Another reason is depending on how long it may take you to do the repairs, running water through can start rust in the water jackets of your engine.

head bolts wise I would say ARP head bolts or just get new factory TTY fasteners. If you’re running a NA motor daily driver and seeing performance those factory bolts or ARPs will do just fine. Head gaskets I’d say look into an MLS gasket or get new OEM gaskets. Not certain with gaskets but just my .2

Last edited by 66OldsLS; Yesterday at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MikadoWu (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Shot in the dark here, but the oil cooler can fail on those cars and leak into the radiator. Start there before you get too far into this.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Really? I knew the Power Steering Cooler, could be an issue, TBH did not even know there was an oil cooler. Will start researching that now. Do you know of any article are or video on troubleshooting this? I just looked and saw several after market units, nothing talking about the original. I have not Rebuilt and Engine since 1992. 1 350 for my 71 Z28 and 1 327 for my 68 RS. RS Still running today, z28 sold for a soccer dad suv.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
ModSquad

I don’t know why I typed oil cooler…yes power steering cooler. It makes a heck of a mess if that’s what’s going on here.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 525 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Shot in the dark here, but the oil cooler can fail on those cars and leak into the radiator. Start there before you get too far into this.
Sounds much more likely than a stock ls1 blowing a head gasket.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

LOL... All good, I never made a mistake like that. Like my beach property in New Mexico.

What got me, was all the After Market Oil Coolers that are out there. I will going do my PS Swap, as I know there is an issue there and see what happens.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by MikadoWu
LOL... All good, I never made a mistake like that. Like my beach property in New Mexico.

What got me, was all the After Market Oil Coolers that are out there. I will going do my PS Swap, as I know there is an issue there and see what happens.
Keep us posted please.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 856 Likes on 655 Posts

You can get a universal cooler from any auto parts store for the power steering. Just mount it behind the air deflector. I'd get a new radiator instead of trying to flush that out.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

That would Suck, the Radiator is 6 months old. Reading comments and watching a video on YT, 98-99 LS1 did not have the PS cooler at all. Many did not see a temperature change, and some say the 98-99 ran cooler. Was thinking on a Deletion of the cooler.

Quick Reply: LS1 Failing Head gasket