Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Where to get a Posi unit for my 1981 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get a Posi unit for my 1981 camaro

Ok everybody has told me to get a posi rear end because its a traction problem and i believe it , i was just hoping i could get by and be almost as fast with having the posi but i know its important to get the traction to get better times , now my question is does anybody honestly know where i could buy a posi unit for my 1981 camaro berlinetta and in this year they did not even offer a posi unit as an option to be put in , so where could i get one that is fairly cheap but a really good posi rear end, please someone theirs got to be a web site or someting because i really need one ? Thanks everybody Dennis
Old 10-09-2005, 05:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could order an 81 Camaro with posi/limited slip from the factory.

First thing: what rear end do you have in the car?
10 bolt? if so, 7.5 or 8.5 ring gear? or 12 bolt?

Once you figure out what rear end you have, there are quite a few options for posi/limited slip/locked rear end choices. Eaton, Detroit Locker/TrueTrac, Auburn are a few choices.

I have a spool, so I couldn't recommend one, but check out websites for the information on each rear end unit.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981camaro350
Ok everybody has told me to get a posi rear end because its a traction problem and i believe it , i was just hoping i could get by and be almost as fast with having the posi but i know its important to get the traction to get better times , now my question is does anybody honestly know where i could buy a posi unit for my 1981 camaro berlinetta and in this year they did not even offer a posi unit as an option to be put in , so where could i get one that is fairly cheap but a really good posi rear end, please someone theirs got to be a web site or someting because i really need one ? Thanks everybody Dennis
1st off, like Villian said, you've got to know what type of rearend you've got in the car. If it's a STOCK 81 Berlinetta V8 then you've probably got an 8.5" rear. BTW, if it IS a Berlinetta it will have a 305, not a 350 (unless the engine has been swapped) if it had a V8 to begin with (base was a V6). You can probably find parts at a wrecking yard (although 8.5 posi's are getting hard to find) but it will more than likely have to be rebuilt. Look in some of the major mags (Super Chevy, Hot Rod, PHR, etc) as they all have advertisements for posi's and ring and pinions. Hope this helps.

Edit: I just read your other post. Engine swap. Was the car a V6 or V8 car to begin with? V6 may have had the 7.5" rear, V8 should have had the 8.5". Just letting ya know.

Last edited by Z-Convert; 10-10-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to get a Posi unit for my 1981 camaro