Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Help Choosing! You Decide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Choosing! You Decide!

Well, let's get this over with.
I'm selling my Regal, and it's going to go for about 8, 8.5 if all goes well.
Now I'm not sure what forum to post this in, but this seems to be the most likely because of what I choose to go with.
I want a wicked daily driver that doesn't cost too much.
Now I know you've -All- heard this argument before, but hear me out.

I wasn't getting anywhere with my grandpa car, it's in mint mint condition, but it just isn't the right styling for an 18yo. I've thought about it, and I've thought about it, then a little bit more, and I came up that with the money from the car sale I should try and find a 3rd Gen Camaro with the TPI motor. Now, TPI is MUCH better than TBI, correct? Establish that for me with a nod or a neh if you please.

I'm not looking for a monster super mod go fast car here, a straight up fun daily. I've got to drive in the snow, but things are so plowed around here all the time I'm not worried. Gas mileage isn't a bother either, you've got to pay to play my friends.

Do you think that would be the right choice? I plan on building a monster car in the garage, not sure what yet but it's going to involve something very light (stripped out Fbody probably) and an LSx motor. That's not the problem here. I want something loud and fun to drive that can be had for cheap. Any ideas please? I think I'm right with the 3rd gen Camaro idea, but I've never had an Fbody. I think if I did the exhaust myself, which I'm confident in doing because I've worked in a garage for too long, and did some BS boltons and tweaks, it could be a wicked car on the cheap. I'm open to ALL suggestions, please, well, except maybe Foxbodies The idea is to have as much left over for project whatever while not killing myself and/or having a sucky quiet ride.

Thanks guys, maybe you can give me a hand with all of this.

It's driving me friggin nuts. . .
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Dont get a 3rd gen
Get a cheap 4th gen for around 4-5 grand and use the left over money to mod it. Just personal opinion but i dont like the 3rd gen look at all.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Teching In

The thing is, I want something that can be dirty when I get in it, you know, out working on the cars at my garage, then I can just get in it and drive home, don't have to take a shower first and bleach myself clean.
The thing is that there's really no way for me to not have two cars, because the car that I mod is the car that I must baby, and the car that I baby can't be a daily driver, those two things conflict way too bad.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 PM
What's a Sticky?

I had a buddy that got a third gen for pretty cheap. The car was decent, but far from perfect. He built the motor to 355 with some aluminum heads, and he had a full exhaust, no cats, high flow mufflers. That thing sounded bad-***, not to mention it didn't run bad either. My 1997 Z28 is basically stock, and he'd only lose by about 3 car lengths, but I also have an M6 and he was manually shifting his auto. Just a thought, but it might not be what you are looking to do. I think he only had about $5,000 into it.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

cheap 4th gen would be the way to go. REliable 3rd gens go for not much cheaper and u have to put in 3-4k before you can even run what an LT1 can stock. buy a cheap Lt1 put exhaust on it and work on ur project car. IF you buy a thirdgen for 2k it will need 2-3k in repairs b4 u could even mod it. but u spend a lil bit more on an LT1 worst case scenario is an optispark and a tune up.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Get a fox body mustang
Old 10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go with the lt1!!!
I have three of them and I love em.
my turbo one has just shy of 600 horsepower and is getting 23 mpg (when I drive it right)
the other has a 100 shot N2O and a m6. Is the show car
I paid 7500 for the turbo one and 6000 for the one with N20
Old 10-23-2005, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

i say go with the 3'rd gen 5.7 tpi. (5spd swap and 3.73's i was runnin 13.6's on street tires killlin lt1's all day long,) personal preferance but lt1's suck
Old 10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Teching In

The 4th gen project car is gonna have plenty of speed, I don't plan on running anyone in my daily. I just need something that isn't a turd, that's all. I can't find a real cheap lt1 in good condition like I can find a 5.7 tpi 3rd gen for dirt cheap. If any of you have a drop on a 4th gen for beans with an 8, I'd be more than happy to snap it up, but I don't think I'm going to find a deal like that. It's not like I'm poor, I just want the most money availible for my project.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Insomnya3AM
The 4th gen project car is gonna have plenty of speed, I don't plan on running anyone in my daily. I just need something that isn't a turd, that's all. I can't find a real cheap lt1 in good condition like I can find a 5.7 tpi 3rd gen for dirt cheap. If any of you have a drop on a 4th gen for beans with an 8, I'd be more than happy to snap it up, but I don't think I'm going to find a deal like that. It's not like I'm poor, I just want the most money availible for my project.

if you can find a 5.7 TPI thirdgen camaro....get it

Stock wise those cars are only about a smidge slower than the LT1 stock cars....I own a 91 RS with the 305 TBI engine (I am working on building the engine) and even though the car's performance sucks stock wise, it still handles like a mother and it weighs about 3100lbs only...I am not saying LT1 cars suck or anything, and they are most definitely not cheap either. LT1/LS1 based cars are getting more expensive if I ever saw a car appreciating in value. A decent 92 Camaro Z28 will run you about 4-6k with no more than 70k miles....the 5.7 version is a monster and it is very rare to find one...unfortunately it only came in with auto trannies but thats not a big issue..the thing is rated at like 260hp and it can easily be made into a nasty car with a little work....

Third Gen handle nicely, and they can go if you slam the pedal, yes even with my TBI....but in essence the TPI motor is better than the TBI just because it was a born to be performing engine and the TBI wasn't
Old 10-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that last post 91ChevyRS, it kept me from making a bad decision, and that would have been keeping my old car, hahah. From what you've said, a 3rd Gen is exactly what I'm looking for, something that handles great on the cheap, and isn't slow stock with some potential. I've actually found a ton of 5.7 TPIs, some with a 5 speed swap already done, within the amount of money I want to spend. Anyone else have any experience with 3rd gens?

PS - Whats the difference between a 305 and a 350? I've got a full 350 in my garage freshly rebuilt, the only thing it needs is an intake manifold and a fuel injection system. If I took the 305 out, would my 350 bolt in with the TPI and some tuning? Lemme know..

Quick Reply: Help Choosing! You Decide!