Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

stupid alarm !!!!!!!!!!!help!~

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy stupid alarm !!!!!!!!!!!help!~

ok quick question, the guy working on my 99 camaro lost my keys so i had to go get some made, and i forgot about the alarm from the factory....anyways when i went to open the car the damn alarm went off and i cant start the car!! is there a way to shut it up, or turn it off, without uninstalling it. and i cant get it to the dealership to get a new one cause the damn car wont start! any help is and will be greatly appreciated asap...thanks guys...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds more like a problem with the security chip in the key. I've never had to have this done so I think you'll have to talk to the deal and get your ignition and the security chip synced up.

If you want to turn the sensitivity of the alarm down, the control box is located on the rear passenger side above where the spare tire sits. I don't think that will solve your problem as it is now.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
That sounds more like a problem with the security chip in the key. I've never had to have this done so I think you'll have to talk to the deal and get your ignition and the security chip synced up.

If you want to turn the sensitivity of the alarm down, the control box is located on the rear passenger side above where the spare tire sits. I don't think that will solve your problem as it is now.
the alarm went off from opening the door, not the ignition.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by victimizati0n
the alarm went off from opening the door, not the ignition.
But he says that it won't even let him start the car. When the key is put into the ignition and the car is started the alarm should shut off.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Teching In

so should i take the key to the dealership and have them programit again?
and once again, thanks for your guys's reply...
Old 06-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Teching In

There's no real computer chip in the key to get synced. The little pellet you see is simply a resistor.

GM uses several resistance values for their cars and unless you know which resistance your car is looking for in order to let you start the car... the car won't start. A regular key (no pellet) or a pelleted key of incorrect resistance will do you no good.

You need to measure the resistance of the pellet using an ohm meter. Then get a blank key with a pellet of the same resistance and it should work. If it still doesn't work... then the factory alarm sensor is not reading the key properly and you'll need to get it fixed or by-passed.

I had a '96 Cutlass with this system. I measured the resistance of the pellet in my key, then got the same resistor from Radio Shack and soldered it into the sensor using a write-up I found online. After that the car always found the resistance it was looking for and I could even get regular blank keys if I wanted to.

The car was less safe but more reliable, besides, it was a Cutlass and who knew anyway.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Quick Reply: stupid alarm !!!!!!!!!!!help!~