Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

Auto Buyers Have Spoken: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

Next generation of classic sport coupe goes into production in late 2008, on sale in 2009; will be almost identical to wildly popular concept unveiled at NAIAS

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – Dear sports car fans: General Motors heard you loud and clear.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the award-winning concept that stole the spotlight at the North American International Auto Show and has ignited the passion of car enthusiasts around the world ever since – even spurring consumers to start petition drives and send in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.

“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America's spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. “The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women, and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.

“We intend to make the all-new Camaro relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans,” said Peper. “The beauty of the best Camaros is that they have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers.”

In fact, the Camaro Concept design team embodies the universal appeal that Chevy envisions for the car: The core team reporting to the lead designer ranges in age from 27-35 and came from all over the world, yet they all had similar experiences growing up with a love for the Camaro and American performance cars. Their concept redefines the Camaro for both existing and new generations of fans in a contemporary way with responsive performance and modern technology.

Peper said Camaro will complement Chevy’s already-popular portfolio of performance vehicles led by Corvette and including its broad SS lineup.

An American icon
The Camaro has touched many lives – and graced many garages – with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally, and thousands of Camaro web sites pay homage to the sports coupe. A recent report on America Online’s Top Searches of 2005 placed Camaro in the Top 10 car searches for the year.

About Chevrolet
Chevrolet is America's No. 1-selling automotive brand. With the largest dealer network in the United States, Chevy is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $78,175. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles. For more information on Chevy cars and trucks, please visit www.chevrolet.com.

About General Motors
General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM operates one of the world’s leading finance companies, GMAC Financial Services, which offers automotive, residential and commercial financing and insurance. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Travis Parman
Chevrolet Communications
Phone: 313-667-5051
E-mail: travis.m.parman@gm.com
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also read Bob Lutz's comments about it.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ople.html#more
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great day for us, the enthusiasts!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The happy dance is acceptable behavior today.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Sweet!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
7 Second Club

Ultra-sweetness!

I just hope they price it right and the dealers don't run up the "over sticker" BS.
Derek
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So there is a god
Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
What a great day for us, the enthusiasts!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The happy dance is acceptable behavior today.
You said it. She's coming back :woot:
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give the People What They Want

Rick Wagoner and the new Camaro.

By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

Ever since we launched this blog over a year and a half ago, a few recurring themes have peppered your comments and feedback, and perhaps one more than any other. For a while there, it seemed like Fast Lane would turn into "All Camaro, All the Time."

We'd post something about fuel economy; someone would respond by telling us to build a new Camaro. We'd write about the latest J.D. Power Dependability Study; someone posts about missing Camaro. Our revamped value pricing system? Camaro. A brand-new GM rollover testing facility? Camaro.

And this was before the 2006 Detroit show when we unveiled the new Camaro concept! That just intensified the drumbeat.

As you probably know by now, the Camaro program has been approved for production, as Chairman/CEO Rick Wagoner announced at the annual industry Management Briefing Seminar in Traverse City, Mich., this morning.

I'm not going to tell you that Camaro is happening because the blogosphere demanded it; that would be disingenuous. But I will tell you that the enthusiasm shown for Camaro in this forum is a shining and prominent example of the passion that exists for this automobile, and we thank you for sharing it with us.

I'll also tell you that we're going to deliver a car worthy of that passion. We'll follow the formula for providing a beautiful and compellingly styled car that, depending upon which engine and what options are chosen, will also be extremely affordable. No matter what the combination, Camaro will absolutely offer tremendous value for the money.

While this is indeed the return of an American icon, I think what sets us apart is that we didn't slavishly go back to the old 1969 Camaro styling. We took the essence of that — its DNA — and styled a completely modern car around it. In other words, it looks like a '69, but it doesn't look like a '69.

Its appeal will go well beyond just those people who are fans of the '69. We love those people and their enthusiasm, and we want the car to appeal to them, but also to a broader audience. It has to appeal to people who have never even heard of a Camaro. Outside certain age groups, and outside the United States, people have to look at it and see a beautiful car, period. If we are too literal in our interpretation, then we would fail to be relevant to a lot of people.

Camaro's beauty will apply to its performance as well. It will be a sensational chassis, a variant of our all-new global rear-drive architecture engineered in Australia, our center of large RWD expertise. (Design work will be done in the U.S., making Camaro a product of our now truly global product development organization.) The new RWD architecture is designed for optimum steering, ride and handling, vehicle dynamics and safety. In terms of chassis excellence, we will be completely "no-compromises."

It will be an absolutely premium-feeling RWD muscle car at a very attractive price, and I predict it will drive huge volume for Chevrolet, and be a big image boost for the brand and for GM.

I also predict that you will tell me in no uncertain terms whether you agree with that assessment, and I further predict I will read a lot of posts with the word "Firebird" in them. Love that enthusiasm!

For more on the Camaro announcement, take a look at the official press release. To see more photos from the official announcement, check out our Flickr galleries as well as our FYI blog for some special Photos of the Day.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Today GM held a Camaro rally at the Vehicle Engineering Center in Warren, Mich. Check out the photos over at Flickr.

Posted by Lutz at August 10, 2006 08:22 AM
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

It would be awesome if they brought the Firebird back. But I heard that if GM came out with the Camaro there would be no Firebird. But I dont know if it is true, just what I heard.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard in HOT ROD that it isn't going to be the firebird, but the GTO instead, in fact they quoted Dave Lutz... Where that issue is... prolly by the toilet with 30 other copies.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

I will start my Camaro savings fund RIGHT NOW- By By marlboro man,hello CAMARO!

Quick Reply: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro