Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 Camaro Z/28 LS1 Overheating???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camaro Z/28 LS1 Overheating???

I have a 1998 Z/28 with alot of bolt ons, see list below. About a month ago the PCM started throwing out P017 & P0174, Fuel Trim Lean Bank 1 & 2. I checked for vacuum leaks with carb spray, in common leak areas, replaced O2's, replaced PCV Valve. I cleared the code and all was good untill I would get on it. The SES light would come on. I disconnected the battery and reset the PCM, and the light hasn't come back on. Then about a week ago, I opened her up on the freeway, like 140MPH. As I started slowing dow, I noticed the temp gauge rising. Just before red zone, I pulled over and let her cool down. any way I got her home, and she has 125,000 miles, so I thought it's gotta be either water pump, or thermostat. I went with the Meziere Electric pump, and new therm. I figured it was all good. Took her out, and she overheated, and blew the radiator. Pump is working great, therm is brand new,and everything is installed correctly. I replaced the radiator with a Be Cool and thought, no more problems. Sure enough, she still gets way too hot. The only other thing I can think of is that the LS1 is still running lean, (with no codes?), possibly clogged cat and/or cat's.
I ordered new cat's but what do you all think.With all the airflow coming in, it makes sense that it is running lean, but I just don't know. I would appreciate any help, for I am out of Ideals. Oh yeah I also just order a Ractronix fuel pump, but I have hooked a fuel pressure gauge up to the fuel rails and I've got good 60 PSI witch drops a little (58 PSI) under load. Could this also be a bad regulator???

1998 Camaro Z/28 Mods.
1. SLP Air Lid
2. SLP MAF Sensor
3. SLP Air Bellow
4. SLP TCM ASR Reversal Module
5. SLP Fan Over Ride Switch/Harness
6. SLP Hurst Shifter Ball
7. SLP Cold Air Induction (Not Installed)
8. SLP Strut Tower Brace
9. F.A.S.T. 78mm Billet Throttle Body
10. EGR Tube Cut
11. ASR Underdrive Pulley set with Alternator Pulley
12. Meziere Electric Water Pump
13. Be Cool Aluminum Radiator
14. K&N Air Filter
15. Flowmaster
16. Mindon 160 degree Thermostat
17. Racetronix Electric 255 lph Fuel Pump w/ separate 12v line (NOT YET)
18. MSD Coil Packs
19. MSD Wires
20. NGK Iridium Plugs
21. ZO6 Clutch
22. Eibach Pro Springs
23. Edelbrock Torque Arm
24. Edelbrock Pannhard Bar
25. Bilstein Shocks
26. Superior Rear Axles
27. 17” SS Grey Rims
28. Skip Shift Eliminator

Parts Replaced (125,000)
1. Rear Axle Seals
2. Rear Pinion Seal
3. Clutch Slave Cylinder
4. Rear Brake Pads (Carbon Fiber Composite)
5. Oxygen Sensors (Bosch)
6. PCV Valve
7. Radiator Hoses
8. GM Corvette LS1 Water Pump Gaskets
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it is overheating while driving or sitting still?
-if driving check condensor to make sure it is not dirty or clogged
-if sitting still make sure your fans work
have you checked the radiator to make sure the level is correct(these car can get air pockets in them)
have you changed your fuel filter? you can have enough pressure, but not enough flow.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro Z/28 LS1 Overheating???