Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

camaro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro won't start

I have always had good lengthy, helpful responses from LS1TECH so I might try my luck here.

Basically it goes like this, I have a slow pile of crap 1991 Chevrolet Camaro. The problem is, for months this car has been dying on me and it's finally met its end this last Thursday. Ever since I got the car, I have been trying to resolve a fuel issue that I have had with it, I would constantly smell fuel most noticeably during the summer, and at some points the car would just randomly stall in the middle of the road and would not start until its had its "30 minute" rest time. It has ALWAYS hesitated off the line, or chugged or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Anyway to the point, this last Thursday, I usually let my car warm up for about 3-5 minutes, I go out in the morning start my car to prepare for the numerous errands I had to run, and quite to my dismay when I returned from the house to get ready to go, the car was off.

"That's weird, I could've sworn I started you" I thought gladly to myself. I skeddadled about as if nothing had happened and started my car again. It starts up fine, I start to walk back towards the house (my car high idle starts, which means it starts up at 1500rpm and gradually decreases to driving range) I noticed that the RPM dropped dramatically at a stead fast rate, the car chugged and choked for a few tries then shot back to high idle, chugged and choked once more, shot back again, chugged once more and then it finally died. So I try starting it once more, and it kept turning over but wouldn't catch fire.

At that point I had it, I slammed the door shut and took the backup car and had a nice time with that.

I am stumped, it seems like every month something goes wrong with this car and it's 200 dollars just to figure it out before we do any **** to it. What irritates me even more is the fact that about 2 months prior to this incident, I had spent 200 dollars at Goodyear to try and get them to prevent this very same issue that occured. Yet, quite to my dismay the inevitable happened and I am stuck.

I am tired of guessing now, I am tired of mechanics telling me "We THINK....", and I am tired of spending needless cash to get this piece of **** running. So I just want your guys input on what my problem maybe, how can I fix it? How much will it cost?

I don't even know how the hell I am going to get it to the shop, but I don't want to take it to just anyone because the last time that happened I got screwed over big time.

Before you guys say TGO, I am not going there. I already posted a message like this three days ago, and nobody has responded to me yet. They respond to all the retarded topics like "how do I start my car?" or "how can I roll down my window?" but they never answer me when I need them the most. There is a handful of people there that help me though. But I was hoping I could generate a quicker response this way.

Please anyone help, I am planning on selling this car after the repairs are done but until then I need a driver, because putting 25 dollars a day on a big F350 Ford Truck is NOT the answer to my problem.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS
I have been trying to resolve a fuel issue that I have had with it, I would constantly smell fuel most noticeably during the summer
A friend of mine had a `90 RS with a similar problem. While ******* with it one day, we pulled the carpet in the rear deck towards the back seat.....and someone had changed the fuel pump....from INSIDE the car!! The sheet metal was all hacked up! It was sickening.... Unfortunately, I can' t really be much use to your problem, the smelling of fuel reminded me of that car.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds to me like your car is struggling to get any gas. I'd check into your fuel filter and fuel pump. A new filter is only a few bucks and a little bit of time to put in, so try that before breaking out the checkbook for a new fuel pump. Especially if you are not sure it's your fuel pump. Definately check out shops in the area that would be able to properly diagnoss your car. I know it's not much help but it's a good start.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

You can change the filter is very inexpensive is located under your car, you can test the fuel pump by turning the ignition on without stsrting car if the pump is working you will hear a sound as the pump comes on inside the gas tank, have someone turn key as you listen behind the car the sound will be noticeble, if you do not hear anything you need a new pump, if the pump is working you could have faulty spark plugs or ignition module could be bad, I have a 92 camaro is very sensetive, even cheap gas would make it act up.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I meant without starting the car
Old 01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

one word----CARMAX

Quick Reply: camaro won't start