Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

83 camaro starter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 camaro starter question

before the crate motor goes in in a couple of weeks... i wanted to get it running first.. I replaced the starter and I guess i forgot to put in a little peice of thin metal. When I was takin the starter out the peice feel out and I forgot to put the new one in. Where does it go? When i was takin the old starter out it fell from the top i guess. I reconnected the battery and I tryed to turn the car on and it didnt even click at all. the dome lights wouldnt even come on. I charged the battery and it was completly full and still nothing. HELP! Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 07:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The starter shim goes between the starter and block. There is 2 holes that line up with the bolts. No dome light means no power or blown fuse. The battery cables could have an internal break, or you missed something when wiring the car back up.
Good luck.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks! there are three wires that go to the started. I double and triple checked to make sure theyre good. and they were. the little indent on the shim..the grove goes in wish way? also I assume the whole in the shim is were one of the long bolts go through? thanks!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:06 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The groove is so you can start one bolt and still slide the shim in. The hole is for the other bolt.

Get your volt meter and find where the power doesn't work. You can have the starter wired correctly, and still not getting power to the switch, fuse panel, relay?? I don't really have stock cars, all mine get rewired 1st thing. You must be missing something.
Good luck, hopefully it's something easy.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah would the shim have anything to do with it?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by goodrich969
yeah would the shim have anything to do with it?
No.The shim wont make it not have power.Might just grind when starting if not shimmed properly.First you need to get a 12volt test light (cheap) at any auto parts store.Then you need to see if you have power at the main power cable(big cable)at the starter.If you do have power going to the starter,depending on the type of starter,and solinoid,you may need to jump the terminals on the starter.If you dont have power(test light lights up) at the starter,you must use test light to find where power is broken.Possiple pinched/cut wires from installing new crate motor.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i havent installed the motor yet.. so this 12volt test light can handle all the **** uve said to check? also u said jump the terminals on the starter. what exactly does that mean?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by goodrich969
i havent installed the motor yet.. so this 12volt test light can handle all the **** uve said to check? also u said jump the terminals on the starter. what exactly does that mean?
Yes the 12volt test light is all you need to trouble shoot this.It will handle any cars electrical system(as long as its 12 volts).To test your test light touch aligator clip side connected to wire to negative side of battery,and touch pointy side with light to positive side of battery at same time and lihgt will come on.Then touch the pointy side to the large terminal(one battery is connected to).if it lights up you have power to the starter.Then you can jump big terminal to small terminal with a screwdriver.you can see terminals on picture.says Ignition an battery
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm im sorry to be retarded. but i am lost. I worked 12 hours today and im kinda burnt out. I think i get the just. Take aligator clip to negaitve side of batter and other side to the positive side and if it lights up i have power?? Then I do what to see if the starter is gettin power. My starter is a duralast one with three bolts. It dosent have a labeled ignition or batter bolt. I assume the biggest bolt is the battery and the second biggest is ignition im not sure what the smallest would do. Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Your not retarded,just inexperienced.I know how to do stuff,but not good at teaching it.with clip still on neg side of batt or a good clean ground spot(either way test by touching to batt pos side) touch pointer to big wire on starter.if lights up,you have power to starter.then you take a screwdriver and touch big and little screws at same time to jump solinoid.it should engage.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:15 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I always recommend a meter instead of a light to be sure you don't have an issue with proper DC. I have seen lights nice & bright and be way down on DC due to big resistance problems. The rest is pretty much just learning what does what, and why.

When I was a kid, I really had good luck learning with the chiltons manual.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

JBL
Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
I always recommend a meter instead of a light to be sure you don't have an issue with proper DC. I have seen lights nice & bright and be way down on DC due to big resistance problems. The rest is pretty much just learning what does what, and why.

When I was a kid, I really had good luck learning with the chiltons manual.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

JBL
Hopfully we can help him.You seem a little better explaining things to him.Like I said,Im a bit of a hack/not a good teacher.I agree with the multi meter,but he's having a hard enough time with a test light.Plus Im not sure what he's talking about starting the motor before its in the car,but he's talking about lights in the car ??? All I know is thats how I used to start my demolition derby car motors on the floor.Thanks for sticking in there with me.

Quick Reply: 83 camaro starter question