Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Lt1? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I've owned 2 LT1's and wouldnt trade them for anything. I could have gotten an LS1 when I sold my old Formula but I wanted another LT1 they're sweet cars.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
the LT1 and the old school SBC use basically the same block...how many people do you know breaking the blocks.

I am going to be making ~800 fwhp with nothing more than splayed main caps and a OEM 2 bolt block

que???
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nickdotcom
que???
It'll go faster than you
Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

You will be completly happy with an LT1 Camaro.Bone stock they run low 14's.
I have owned two,both were 6-speeds.They do feel like they have more low end torque than an LS1 eventhough they done.However,the LT1 exahaust does sound a lot more agressive.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:05 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

I had an LT1 with 113,000 miles that ran like a champ. The throwout bearing went out and didnt feel like fixing it so I sold it. Guy that bought it fixed it ran its tail off.

LT1's aren't bad engines. Maybe not the right choice for making a 1000hp car, but it should suit your needs fine. I loved mine.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbit's97SS
I love my LT1... best looking camaro in my opinion
x2. Combine that with what's in my Sig.. you got the best of both worlds..

Originally Posted by MyKiNdAmUsClE9806
the stuff i heard was stuff like the block cracks easy in the higher milage range cause of the cast-iron, stuff like that. I didn't think it was that bad i just wanted to make sure.
First off who ever told you that about a LT1, go give them
I have seen more Aluminum LS1's with Rods through the Blocks and cracked than I have Iron SBC's and LT1's combined..Aluminum sucks *** for a block IMO, I like Iron.

The thing with LT1's is that they are reliable, tough, and easy to work with cause the basic parts are everywhere. The LT1's and the later versions of the Gen I SBC's have pretty much the same Internals. Once you get into Heads and **** like that, you start spending money. That is where the LS1's are a little cheaper, better aftermarket.
I had a Hotcam LT1 setup with very basic mods running near mid 12's, all stock specs. They can move..

Later on down the road when you want to upgrade, then I would say go to an LSX platform, but get a feel for the power first when you have that LT1.

I am currently building a LSX Engine and dropping it into my 95 Z28. It's an Ironblock setup, so it will be RELIABLE, and have some crazy power..
Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned both! I had a 95 LT1 that had alot of bolt ons including lt's it was a great car. I bought it with 64kmiles on it and I got rid of it with 84k, I was hard as hell on that car and it never missed a beat!! I now have a 02 LS1 and I love that car just the same. The only realy difference is that the LS1 car is alot easier to work on.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
However,the LT1 exahaust does sound a lot more agressive.
I'll second that. The stock LS1 exhaust note sounds like a.....van or a truck, or something...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have an 01 Camaro SS (LS1), 97 Camaro B4C (LT1), 99 Firebird (3.8L V6), and a 94 Firebird (3.4L V6). Of these, my favorite to drive is the LT1. It is, however, the hardest to work on (no room!). But the LS1 is the one that turns heads!

All 4 cars have Catbacks. The LS1 is the loudest, but the LT1 sounds the best. (Even the 3.8L V6 sounds better than my LS1--just my preference).

It all depends what's most important to you.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a good car for cheep that that u can mod and make it fast
Old 06-11-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to be making ~800 fwhp
Front wheel horsepower?

I have always wanted an LT1 F-body, just never been in the cards, atleast not yet. The biggest issue I' ve heard about, is the opticrap, but there are better set-ups now. LT1' s do sound mean as ****. I have LT's and TD's on my LS1, but my aunt' s bone stock LT1 sounds DAMN good! The aluminum block' s biggest plus is weight savings, strengthwise, cast iron is a lot stronger than aluminum. Whoever told you that LT1 blocks crack from age don' t know ****. Look at all these high-power muscle cars, or even highly built third gen F-bodies, V8 S-10's, 80' s Monte Carlos, etc......a lot of people pick up old iron blocks for cheap, and build some insane power from them. Cast iron is some strong ****! Any engine can crack under the right circumstances. Some of the little quirks of the LT1 were eliminated with the introduction of the LS1, but both are great engines in their own right! If funds are limited, take your time shopping.

The LS1 will give you a better base to build on, so if you want the best performance because you won' t be modding for a while, it would be your best bet. However, you can often find some LT1' s for crazy low prices, but the interiors and exteriors may not be that pretty, but that' s not that big of a deal, there' s nothing about a car that can' t be fixed if your time and budget allow. If you buy an LT1 car for $2500, driver' s seat is ripped, engine is strong, mileage is high, maybe needs paint, that' s a whole lot cheaper than a ratted out LS1 for $8000, and gives you a lot of room to build it up, and repair it, before you even come close to the price of the LS1 car. This is all hypothetical though. You don' t know what you' ll come across until you start actively searching. Goodluck on whatever you do find!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Front wheel horsepower?

I have always wanted an LT1 F-body, just never been in the cards, atleast not yet. The biggest issue I' ve heard about, is the opticrap, but there are better set-ups now. LT1' s do sound mean as ****. I have LT's and TD's on my LS1, but my aunt' s bone stock LT1 sounds DAMN good! The aluminum block' s biggest plus is weight savings, strengthwise, cast iron is a lot stronger than aluminum. Whoever told you that LT1 blocks crack from age don' t know ****. Look at all these high-power muscle cars, or even highly built third gen F-bodies, V8 S-10's, 80' s Monte Carlos, etc......a lot of people pick up old iron blocks for cheap, and build some insane power from them. Cast iron is some strong ****! Any engine can crack under the right circumstances. Some of the little quirks of the LT1 were eliminated with the introduction of the LS1, but both are great engines in their own right! If funds are limited, take your time shopping.

The LS1 will give you a better base to build on, so if you want the best performance because you won' t be modding for a while, it would be your best bet. However, you can often find some LT1' s for crazy low prices, but the interiors and exteriors may not be that pretty, but that' s not that big of a deal, there' s nothing about a car that can' t be fixed if your time and budget allow. If you buy an LT1 car for $2500, driver' s seat is ripped, engine is strong, mileage is high, maybe needs paint, that' s a whole lot cheaper than a ratted out LS1 for $8000, and gives you a lot of room to build it up, and repair it, before you even come close to the price of the LS1 car. This is all hypothetical though. You don' t know what you' ll come across until you start actively searching. Goodluck on whatever you do find!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Front wheel horsepower?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM

i have my lt1 and i love it i worked in a chevy dealership and all i can say is that the only prob is that they overheat very easyly the head gasket breakes in the #8 cylinder and also the opti but other than that the ls moters hav moor probs than the lt i mean think its basicly the same desighn as the 60's sbc so use a little common since lt1 all the way
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought my 93 in July and really like it. I bought it at a great price, but the only thing is that I have had to rebuild the transmission in it. The exhaust note is great. I have a nice small cam in mine with alot of bolt ons. If you look for one, you might want one that has always been serviced and the opti spark has already been done if the car has over 70-80k miles. I just like scaring the **** out of stock ls1 owners who think my car is a piece of ****. This summer I beat a pretty much stock one, and I had bald tires, and my transmission was going out.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1's are pretty reliable, high revving, and sound nice.

Just not a whole lot of room to work, LS1's aren't THAT much better but still noticeable.

And don't drive it in the rain
Old 12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a shame how people can be mislead on a paticular type of engine.
especially one that has proven itself from day one.it replaced the L98 and people looked down on 3rd gens,then the Ls1 came out and they look down at both its an everlasting cycle called technology however all engines ffail at some point.
the Lt1 definately cannot be called junk!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

LT1 is **** I'd never be caught dead with one. lol nah bro its a good car and especially if your comming from a slow car...like a mustang...or a civic ::gasp:: you'll have a blast. my car is turning 14 and not a damn problem cept my ac pump died out. carws awesome.

mustang guys im kidding, or course. <3
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh my 2 clutch went after 13 years, so becareful lol
Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

fwhp...fly wheel horse power? ...bhp?

Quick Reply: Lt1? Any good?