Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How to Tell a Factory SLP Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! It doesn't sound to me like you got too bad of a deal at all.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man, really that isn't that bad of a deal. Tires are normal maintenance, the only thing that I don't like is the exhaust thing, but I love the look of CME and the rarity of it. Good pick up though man, look forward to seeing pics.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man!

I personally don't like the CME, I prefer a classic dual exhaust with round polished tips coming out the back. So, I think I'm going to have that put on first thing. If I wanted a collector car that I was going to keep stock...than I would want CME, but for a car I want to do mods on and use as a D/D I'm thinking a more classic look.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah mine is a DD too but its not a LE but I understand what you mean. I like the look of dual exhaust a lot too, but I like CME. Eventually I will get GMMG exhaust with still having the CME tips.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well, you guys have made me feel much better about this purchase. One of my best buddies is giving me a lot of flack about it because he thinks it was a terrible deal, so thats been kind of a buzz kill. But, he's a Mopar guy who thinks the LEs are gaudy. He was trying to get me to buy a 2002 Z28 convertible with 67000 miles on it for $17K instead or a new Mustang GT. But, I like this car about 100x more.

Well, the thing is...is I love cars and one of my life long hobbies is going to be working on my little car collection. I'm going to dental school so I should be able to fund that hobby.

I already have a little list of cars I want to one day have, this car is one of them (a convertible Z or Mustang GT isn't). The convertible would be fun...but this car is too and its a life long purchase which the 'vert isn't. The convertible is a dealer car and is in slightly better shape...but its not exactly what I wanted. The LE is and thats why I bought it.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
Well, you guys have made me feel much better about this purchase. One of my best buddies is giving me a lot of flack about it because he thinks it was a terrible deal, so thats been kind of a buzz kill. But, he's a Mopar guy who thinks the LEs are gaudy. He was trying to get me to buy a 2002 Z28 convertible with 67000 miles on it for $17K instead or a new Mustang GT. But, I like this car about 100x more.

Well, the thing is...is I love cars and one of my life long hobbies is going to be working on my little car collection. I'm going to dental school so I should be able to fund that hobby.

I already have a little list of cars I want to one day have, this car is one of them (a convertible Z or Mustang GT isn't). The convertible would be fun...but this car is too and its a life long purchase which the 'vert isn't. The convertible is a dealer car and is in slightly better shape...but its not exactly what I wanted. The LE is and thats why I bought it.
Yeah sounds like you did the right thing. I would take a LE with less miles and just needing a little TLC over a 02 Z in slightly better condition with 20k more miles any day. It sounds like just a couple things here and there and a good wax and the car will be real nice.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greg_74
Yeah sounds like you did the right thing. I would take a LE with less miles and just needing a little TLC over a 02 Z in slightly better condition with 20k more miles any day. It sounds like just a couple things here and there and a good wax and the car will be real nice.
My thoughts exactly...and now I have 2 cars cooler than my friend's '70 Challenger.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

My thoughts exactly...and now I have 2 cars cooler than my friend's '70 Challenger.
Thats the best part! I have a long list of cars I want too, good to here I'm not the only one
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

too bad it didnt have the cme,
i <3 the cme on black cars
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
too bad it didnt have the cme,
i <3 the cme on black cars
I do too. His isn't black though.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

But, he's a Mopar guy who thinks the LEs are gaudy. He was trying to get me to buy a 2002 Z28 convertible with 67000 miles on it for $17K instead or a new Mustang GT.
Well that just shows how much he knows about cars. Not the fact he is a Mopar guy, but the fact he thinks a new Mustang would have been a better buy. Even with performance aside, the Mustangs are UGLY. Congrats on the new car.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The first day you drive your car and notice somebody looking in their rearview mirror like "WTF IS THAT?! A VIPER?!" you'll never think it's gaudy. That black scoop decal is the coolest thing to see in your mirror.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brangeta
The first day you drive your car and notice somebody looking in their rearview mirror like "WTF IS THAT?! A VIPER?!" you'll never think it's gaudy. That black scoop decal is the coolest thing to see in your mirror.
I think they look good without the scoop decal too, you even seen one without it? It looks a little different, but I think it flows better and is cleaner looking. If you haven't I can show you a pic or two.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just beacuse it is rated @ 345 doesn't meat it HAD the CME, it very well could have had the traditional Dual-Dual SLP exhaust. The 345 package came with the lid and EITHER SLP exhaust.

And nice find. Congrats and enjoy the new ride.

And to FURTHER confirm . . . ALL that means every single solitry SS went to SLP, they installed the Hood and Spoiler.

WU8 = Camaro SS

Y2Y = Additional content upfit by SLP
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Just beacuse it is rated @ 345 doesn't meat it HAD the CME, it very well could have had the traditional Dual-Dual SLP exhaust. The 345 package came with the lid and EITHER SLP exhaust.

And nice find. Congrats and enjoy the new ride.

And to FURTHER confirm . . . ALL that means every single solitry SS went to SLP, they installed the Hood and Spoiler.

WU8 = Camaro SS

Y2Y = Additional content upfit by SLP
Alright yeah I forgot about the dual/dual sorry. It had to have the lid to have the 345 hp package though.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
I think they look good without the scoop decal too, you even seen one without it? It looks a little different, but I think it flows better and is cleaner looking. If you haven't I can show you a pic or two.
I've seen SSes without the hood decal, but not 35th LEs... I don't think I'd want to see a 35th LE without it. That's like senselessly devaluing your car and it doesn't improve the look.

SSes do look nice with the 35th LE style stripes without the black scoop decal though, I will agree with that. Especially black SSes.
--------------
If the car had dual-dual exhaust, it was basically quad tips. I believe the CME valance had to have holes drilled on the factory rear bumper in the wheel wells to attach the valance. My Z28's not here right now, so I can't compare the two. So if your car came with CME, it'd likely have two holes still drilled in the rear bumper.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I was going to do any crazy modification to my car, I'd put the LT1 front bumper on it along with hood and fenders, and make it look like this:

I think that looks really cool.

This car above was never a 35th LE though, so don't get that impression. It was just a '93-97 Z28 that got stripes and an SS hood. Sadly, this car wasn't done how I would have done it. They should have bought the 35th LE wheels, left the side stripe off, and he has gross euro taillamps on it.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats. i have a SLP car too. fully loaded.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I've seen SSes without the hood decal, but not 35th LEs... I don't think I'd want to see a 35th LE without it. That's like senselessly devaluing your car and it doesn't improve the look.

SSes do look nice with the 35th LE style stripes without the black scoop decal though, I will agree with that. Especially black SSes.
--------------
If the car had dual-dual exhaust, it was basically quad tips. I believe the CME valance had to have holes drilled on the factory rear bumper in the wheel wells to attach the valance. My Z28's not here right now, so I can't compare the two. So if your car came with CME, it'd likely have two holes still drilled in the rear bumper.
It doesn't devalue the car if you never plan on selling it... but yeah my step dad did it too his, it just is a decal and comes off with a blow dryer. He bought a replacement one too so if he were ever to change his mind or sell it. Here are a couple pics. Btw his is a lot lower now, since hit has sportlines on it.

Quick Reply: How to Tell a Factory SLP Car?