Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How to Tell a Factory SLP Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Tell a Factory SLP Car?

So, I'm going to look at a 2002 Camaro (SS LE M6) tomorrow that I'm considering buying. The guy who has it claims its a factory SLP car. Assuming he doesn't have original build paperwork (he's not the original owner)...is there anything I can look for on the car that would distinguish the SLP options?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There should be a SLP door tag on the car that lists out the options that the car came with. My car wasn't a SLP car so I didn't have one but I've seen them on other SS's.

William
Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the RPO code Z4C is there, then it is a real 35th Anniversary Edition SS. If it isn't there, then it's just a regular SS with stripes and such.

I don't remember the RPO code for just a regular SS, but if Z4C is there, then it's one of the 3,369 35th Anniversary Editions.

If you're looking for one to be collectible, I'd recommend getting one with some of the more popular SLP options and no aftermarket mods (especially wheel changes). The most popular SLP option was Center Mount Exhaust. Some of the little things are difficult to find and collectors tend to like them, like the special floor mats and the rear trunk mat.

Also, if it doesn't have the 35th Anni Portfolio, good luck tracking one down! They sometimes show up on ebay for some reason, but there are only 3,369 of them, so they're not easy to replace.

If you get it, join www.35thle.com's message board.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

The SLP supplemental sticker should be on the passenger door. It will list any options installed by SLP. As you may already know, a lot of SSs did not have any SLP options.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

If the Camaro has Y2Y on the RPO codes this means it could have gone to SLP/have a second sticker from SLP, Sometimes the sticker on the door is taken of because they stare to look untidy and have started to peel off, all you would have to do is call SLP with the cars VIN#, they will tell you what options came with the car if any.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL_BILL
The SLP supplemental sticker should be on the passenger door. It will list any options installed by SLP. As you may already know, a lot of SSs did not have any SLP options.
Very good information and true.

And it's likely the ones with SLP options will be the ones sought after by collectors. Many parts are no longer available, and we all know how popular and expensive Center Mount Exhaust is when resold.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rpo code you want to look for on the driver's door is Z4C to determine that it is a real 35th Anniversary Edition SS, if it doesn't have that its a clone. Regular SS's will have a WU8 on the rpo codes to determine that it is a SS. Then like said above the SLP second sticker that lists your SLP options will be on the passenger door. Mine for example lists the 345 hp Center Mount Exhaust Package and chrome 10 spokes as my options. Also just as all SS's aren't SLP cars, not all SLP cars are created equal. For example some just have chrome 10 spokes or ZR1's and floor mats will others have everything. Hope that helps man, good luck.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every SS went to SLP for fitting of the hood and other standard options. But some did get additional equipment and those should have the second sticker...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Every SS went to SLP for fitting of the hood and other standard options. But some did get additional equipment and those should have the second sticker...
Actually I believe there were some SS's that were done in house and not sent to SLP, I'm not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greg_74
Actually I believe there were some SS's that were done in house and not sent to SLP, I'm not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure.
And you would be wrong do a search, the guy on here from SLP confirmed this a while back..... This is how false information gets spread around.....
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brangeta
And it's likely the ones with SLP options will be the ones sought after by collectors. Many parts are no longer available, and we all know how popular and expensive Center Mount Exhaust is when resold.
You know, its funny...I don't like the center mounted exhaust. I don't think this car has them (based on the pics I saw) but if it does and I end up removing it...and I wanted to sell it, what would it be worth?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... if the car does have it, and you take it off and sell it you'll need to realize that in all likelihood, you'll never be able to replace it, and neither will the next owner of the car.

So for that reason, I'm giving you the face.

I don't know the exact going rate for it, but I remember someone selling a used 345 HP CME set with the valance for more than the original option price on my build sheet. So... it was a lot.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
And you would be wrong do a search, the guy on here from SLP confirmed this a while back..... This is how false information gets spread around.....
Whatever man I'm not trying to spread false info, thats why I said I was not 100% percent sure and correct me if I'm wrong, but I had heard that before.

Btw I did a search and couldn't find the post by someone at SLP but found someone said all of them when there. So does the Y2Y code just mean additional SLP options? So for example if someone's SS just went to slp and got the hood, spoiler, and alloy ZR1's it would just have WU8 and not Y2Y on the rpo codes and wouldn't have a second sticker?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so I went and saw it and it had the Z4C and Y2Y codes as well as the passenger door tag. The passenger door tag listed the 345HP performance exhaust but this car has had an aftermarket exhaust system installed.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
OK, so I went and saw it and it had the Z4C and Y2Y codes as well as the passenger door tag. The passenger door tag listed the 345HP performance exhaust but this car has had an aftermarket exhaust system installed.
So you have a real 345 hp SLP 35th Ann. Edition car there then. They pry either just didn't like the CME, or wanted to make money off of it because like said above they can go for a lot. So whats the verdict on the car, you getting it?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

I have SLP stickers on driver and passenger doors.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greg_74
So whats the verdict on the car, you getting it?
Yes, I decided to buy it.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
Yes, I decided to buy it.
congrats!!!!! lets see some pics when you take delivery. how many miles? how much you get it for? those went for over $35k when new.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fast01z28
congrats!!!!! lets see some pics when you take delivery. how many miles? how much you get it for? those went for over $35k when new.
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to admit how much I paid for it because I know I paid more than its worth, but I an very happy with my purchase. This is only the second LE car I have ever seen in Oregon. I looked it over and know it has a couple minor issues that I'll need to fix eventually (has a scratch, bad tires, and the aftermarket exhaust it has sucks...and the SLP exhaust is gone). That being said, the car is in excellent condition otherwise and the only thing that needs to be done now is tires. What I wanted was a 2002 LE M6 T-Top car and I'd rather overpay for one I can see in person than buy a "better" one from across the country without being able to "kick the tires." That being said, I paid $18,000 for it. It has 47,000 miles and is a 2 owner car. There are receipts showing it has been serviced every 3000 miles or less.

I should get the car next weekend, I can't wait.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the new toy!

Quick Reply: How to Tell a Factory SLP Car?