Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Curse of the red sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a bright red Monte, and to be honest, since it's a 'sporty car', I'll go ahead and reply. I've not gotten a ticket yet and I speed plenty.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

I obey the laws so i've never gotten a ticket.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I obey the laws so i've never gotten a ticket.
I enforce the laws so i dont get a ticket haha

Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

yep... all the time. I've been followed for like 5 miles before waiting for me to cross the white line or go 1mph over. I've even been pulled over for going 4 mph over... yes they even gave me a ticket. (59 in a 55)...that is not a joke. I also was the middle car on the interstate between about 10 cars and we were all going 72ish and the cop cut the guy off behind me to pull me over (in bumper to bumper traffic) so yes... I have been singled out in my "RED" z28.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

I am an Oklahoma Highway Patrol (tail light chaser) and I will assure you that the color of the car dosent immediatly cause us to "target" you. However, the color of your car may stand out giving you unwanted attention, but at the same time it can give you wanted attention (ladies, other hotrodders, ect.). Unwanted attention comes from the way you drive, and your attitude towards the officer. Something that people dont realize is that police share the same hobbies that everyday odinary people do. I do my job, but I am just like everyone else in this forum: I love to hotrod. Dont worry about a color sticking out, with a beautiful car like that you should WANT to be noticed.

Tanner
Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I'd say ricers get pulled over tons more than I do. They're just annoying to hear and the driver's usually are very young and love to rev their lawn mowers.

I have a red Z28, 15% dark tint, no front plate with a magnaflow exhaust and haven't been pulled over yet and I do drive 10 or so over the limit. Nothing.

When I was in high school however, I had a red 1987 Trans Am, everything stock, 35% medium tint and a front plate. I got pulled over all the time. But then again I used to drive like every traffic light was a staging light and that the guy next to me (even if he was parked) was looking for a race.

I don't think color has anything to do with it, I think it's how you drive and your age that will attract cops or you're driving environment. If there are ricers around, you can rest assured they will draw tons of heat away from you.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by igobuk
I don't think color has anything to do with it, I think it's how you drive and your age that will attract cops or you're driving environment. If there are ricers around, you can rest assured they will draw tons of heat away from you.

true.. i do NOTHING anywhere near my area in my white TA.. and i get pulled over ALL the time.. like twice a week.. i got pulled over the other night because i passed a ricer (i was doing 58 in a 55 i know because cruise control was on) and the ricer did a ricer fly by on me hit about 90 or so and an undercover police car about four lengths back turned his blues on...... needless to say i was in tears laughing... untill he pulled us both over...

he was calling me mr.speedracer and said if i would have hit over 75 he would have took me to jail and towed my car, my accelerator was NEVER touched.. i showed him how loud my car was at 3/4 throttle.. he preceeded to tell me i got pulled over for not using a blinker like 3 minutes prior to that while doing a lane change with NO traffic around...

first time i have EVER left from getting pulled over and said... well you get the point..

its getting to the point around my town its like harrasment.. id love to do something about it, ut i dont know what to do.. its rediculous..
Old 06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a 85 ford bronco 2 a week after i got it i got caught going 50 in a 30 it was almost the same color as my Z28. My Z brings all the attention to me in town i love to **** with cops following me. I had a new charger following me i dove into the cvs parking lot when he couldn't see me turned around and got back up behind him. there always turning there radar on me, this new charger cop really pissed me off he swerved in front of me almost hit me then when i pull out of the parking lot he had the nerve to turn his radar on me, oh i was pissed
Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1_Fireman
Its a urban ledgend that red cars are targeted more than other sports cars.
no its not...

I have owned 3 camaro's since I have been driving (im 21 now)

first one was black...95, 3.4 V6...had it for 4 months untill i traded it in for a 98 red 3.8 (which i ended up turboing). I NEVER got pulled over and really even looked at in my black one by cops. The Day i brought my red one home, pulling out of my road from my house, I got pulled over....everytime I went by a cop, I noticed they all stared me down...cant say that for the black one. Now I have a White SS and have been pulled over, but that was my fault for speeding past a cop comming towards me. I pay attention to see if cops eye me down when I drive by them, and most of them dont waist their time looking at my SS
Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
They can't target you if you are not doing anything wrong. I have never been singled out by the police just because I drive a red car. Most of the time I get stopped it's because I did something stupid.
iu have a black car and got pulled over 5 times in one month, 2 were legit 3 werent. And i have a black car. Mainly the sound and being that we drive an all american sports car is a cops wet dream
Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Teching In

I got pulled over more in my teal Camaro than any other car. I once was pulled over doing 55 in a 60. The cop said i looked like I was going too fast. My record was being pulled over 3 times in one day. That was in a 78 Datsun B210. I had no tail lights so I was getting pulled over every few minutes. Only 2 gave me tickets, though. Oh yeah, I've had 2 red Firebirds, too, and never pulled over in either one.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Problem here! BUT I don't go out looking for it either.
Yes, My Bright Red 2002 Camaro SS stands out a little bit with the
VFN 3.5" SS Design Hood, Mini-Tubs, 325's out back and Skinnies up Front...
Not to mention the Loud Exhaust. LOL
But, if I drive sensible they leave me alone. They get use to seeing the car and
at first watch your driving habits. After a month or so They're Kewl with it.
Until you take advantage of it and get caught Street Racing. Then,... you might as well
just sell the car. Really doesn't matter what color it is at this point.
Either way... Enjoy your car!

Last edited by SLP 02 SS; 06-06-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added Pic
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

I totally feel like I get way more attention from cops being that my car is bright red. i've been pulled over for anything from car being to low to no front license plate, when i can look and spot speeders passing me at the same time
Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a red 91 z28 and back like in sept....and ive never gotten pulled over in it.....yet!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Both my 91 Formula and 96 T/A were bright red and I was never pulled over in either car. I was pulled over in my black 92 a couple of times. I never really noticed any more bad attention from the red cars. It seems like more people look at the car when your driving but I never felt like I was messed with by cops more.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Its up to the cops discretion and they are jealous or want to feel like a bad a$$ so they pick on red sports cars more often.

Yesterday I sped up to the speed limit faster then a local pig. At the next light took a right, did nothing wrong or illegal and he flipped his siren on for a spit section to be a dick. If your reading this go get some more donuts. I didn't know they hired homosexual cops.
You wonder why so many people hate cops.

Last edited by sslateron; 06-13-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

What is going to stand out more a bright red sports car or a silver sports car?

Answer RED

It will draw attention to the vehicle even when you are not doing anything wrong. So when you are doing something wrong you get noticed too...

I would go with another color... I had 2 Red WS6 T/a and now have a silver Zo6 , would not go back to red.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I enforce the laws so i dont get a ticket haha

ya, but i hear from most cops that if a nice muscle car doing something stupid or speeding, is less likely to get pulled over than some ricer doing the same thing.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

The myth has some merit, but it really does depend on the cop. My car is black and I've gotten nailed for stupid ****, but driving normally, not one look by ANY cops around here. MY cousin's blue 1984 camaro however........ I think he got like 3 or 4 tickets in a week time span with that thing and drives calmer than I do.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SLP 02 SS
No Problem here! BUT I don't go out looking for it either.
Yes, My Bright Red 2002 Camaro SS stands out a little bit with the
VFN 3.5" SS Design Hood, Mini-Tubs, 325's out back and Skinnies up Front...
Not to mention the Loud Exhaust. LOL
But, if I drive sensible they leave me alone. They get use to seeing the car and
at first watch your driving habits. After a month or so They're Kewl with it.
Until you take advantage of it and get caught Street Racing. Then,... you might as well
just sell the car. Really doesn't matter what color it is at this point.
Either way... Enjoy your car!

are those arizen seats you have? They look real good

Quick Reply: Curse of the red sports car?