Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My new 98 Z28 (Under the knife)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through and read this thread, very awesome man, I don't know many people willing to take the extra effort to do what you have done.

Can't wait to see how she turns out, I may be deleting AC on my car at some point, it would be fun to build an LS1 powered 3rd gen to daily drive.

Awesome cars you have and wow.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent work on the engine bay dude, makes me wish I would have spent the time on it, but I wanted my new motor in asap...

Car looks good, sorry about your bad luck though... I am doing special oil changes and ritual chants to keep away spun rod bearings... Since I just finished my 98' Rebuild too (link in my sig), the motor just now turned 1500 miles this morning.

So, the motor you put in, what yr car did it come out of, mileage on it? I will have nightmares 2nite about spun rod bearings... now I'm gonna granny drive for a few days...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I went through and read this thread, very awesome man, I don't know many people willing to take the extra effort to do what you have done.

Can't wait to see how she turns out, I may be deleting AC on my car at some point, it would be fun to build an LS1 powered 3rd gen to daily drive.

Awesome cars you have and wow.
Thanks man! I have actually sold the Iroc... Yep after 7 years of owning her! I miss it but I just don't have the time to build it the way I want it so I let it go and put the money into this car!

Originally Posted by turbo86
Excellent work on the engine bay dude, makes me wish I would have spent the time on it, but I wanted my new motor in asap...

Car looks good, sorry about your bad luck though... I am doing special oil changes and ritual chants to keep away spun rod bearings... Since I just finished my 98' Rebuild too (link in my sig), the motor just now turned 1500 miles this morning.

So, the motor you put in, what yr car did it come out of, mileage on it? I will have nightmares 2nite about spun rod bearings... now I'm gonna granny drive for a few days...
LOL I feel you there man. I have my new motor in the car now and I'm PRAYING EVERY DAY too!
I've had bad luck with this car every since I got it, but hopefully it's all done with now!

The engine came out of a 01 Corvette with 56,000 miles on it.

I am uploading new pics of my winter build and I will post soon!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

First off is a 403 LS2 Stroker that I purchased off of LS1Tech here. It was originally an LS2 out of an 07' Trailblazer SS. But it was sent to the machine shop for a complete overhaul!
If you want to know where all my money went this winter, Read up... If Not then just look at the pics. haha j/k

Upgrades include....

Engine 403ci. LS2 aluminum block stroker- only had roughly 400-500 miles on it. (The Car sat in the garage most of the time after being built!)
K1 Crankshaft (Speed Inc.)
Diamond Pistons Flat top -2cc Valve Relief 1.5mm Top Ring, 3.0mm Oil Ring(Speed Inc.)
Compstar Rods with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts 6.125" (Speed Inc.)
TR Camshaft 248/254 614/620 110 lsa
LS7 Lifters
TSP Pushrods
Clevitte Rod Bearings
Patriot Performance Dual Valve Springs/ Retainers .650 lift
Stock Rockers
Stock 243 LS6 Heads
SLP Oil Pump
ASP Underdrive Pulley
Prothane Motor Mounts

Intake/Fuel
(came with an ls6 intake and stock TB)
42lb Green top injectors
Nasty Performance 3/8" Polished Fuel Rails

1 3/4" Pacesetter Longtubes & O2 Sensors
*~SOON will be TSP 1 7/8" LT Headers
3" TSP True Duals with Moroso Spiral Flo Mufflers (already had them)

Upgrades that I have done as of now...

Fast 92mm Intake and PTM 92 mm Throttle Body
MSD Plug Wires and NGK TR55 Plugs
Braided -6 AN Hose and quick disconnect fitting to hook up the fuel rails

Stage 3 Built Transmission (800 rwhp)
Yank SS4000 Stall Converter
TCI 29.1 Spec Flexplate
Cyberdyne Digital (blue ice) Trans Temp Gauge
Derale Deep Trans. Pan
Also a large Cooler out front....

LS1 Aluminum Driveshaft
Stock 10 bolt out of a 6 speed Trans Am (3.42's)
Summit Stud Girdle (Aluminum)
Dbl. Adj. CM LCA's and PHB
12 way Adjustable QA1 Rear Shocks
UMI Bolt-In Subframe Connectors
Edelbrock Dbl. Adj. Tq. Arm (not yet installed) (got a good deal on this)

17 x 9.5" Covette Z06 Replicas (all the way around)
(Black with polished lip and Chrome Rivets)
Up front, tires are 275/40/ZR17 Goodyear Eagle ZR40's
And the rear tires are 275/40/R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials

I also added a set of Black Halos to the front
A set of Black Hockey Stripes
VHT Niteshaded the turnsignals, side markers, and taillights
Put an SS Spoiler on
Put a Black Glossy Berger Panel on
And I have a few more things in the works, but only time will tell how far the apperance part goes... By that I mean I don't really car what it looks like as long as it GOES. haha

Anyways Thats about it as far as my winter build goes... But I will add some pics now!
Enjoy!

James
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Well I got the engine in and started to get a little bit lazy....
So this is how it sat for a while lol!

Then I ordered a few parts and I was getting ready to install them when I got a phone call that I lost my dad on February 24th at 7:30 am!
So with everything going on, I put the car aside to do the family thing and get through the greiving process. I miss my Dad so much. But I know he would want me to finish what I had worked so hard to build. One of his last words to me was that all he wanted was his CAMARO... My dad was going through a real Bad time with Dimensia and alzhiemers (or however you spell it) and he was remembering things that I had told him in the past. Thats why he said all he wanted was his camaro, but it was what I had told him 6 months prior to him passing away.
But anyways. After a month or so, I finally got back to working on the car and put in the parts and got it tuned... Only to trash the tranny in 3 weeks!
But that just sparked me even more and I went with a level 3 Built 4L60E that is rated at 800rwhp and was covered by a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty!
So at that Time, I upgraded EVERYTHING that had to do with the Transmission.... Here are a few more pics of the upgrades...

Well there went the parts, Now here it is all going back together....

Now it's on the road and Finally making me happy about the build!

Last edited by LT1Formula007; 06-05-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

I'm pretty happy with the car now... I think I've brought the car back from the dead. What do you think... ?
Here is a pic when I first got it home and put it in the garage!

And now!!! After all the work I've put into it!

For those of you who noticed the smashed up grille, I straightened it back and then painted it where it was scratched! Can't even tell it was damaged now huh!

I have a few more pics to upload, but I'll get them up in a few days or so.
I have pics of it at the track when I took it out, and I have a few more goodies to put on and I'll take a few more pics of it!

James
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

I also have a few videos that you can check out too...

The first startup in my garage, still on jacks!

View Video on FQuick

Pulled it outside, Look at the dust on this thing lol!

View Video on FQuick

Here is a video, when I had the car on some 20" rims, LOL Just to cruise on for a weekend. I thought I'd be able to control myself from beating on the car, but that clearly did not happen when My Buddy Bryan decided to run me in his 07 Twin Turbo Vette!
Needless to say I spun the tires from about 20-75 mph lol

View Video on FQuick

Here was my first pass at ORP with the camaro. I babied it out of the hole. Using about 30% gas pedal and leaving at an idle. Then floored it just before 2nd gear and it hooked like a Mother....

View Video on FQuick

Then here is my 2nd Pass at ORP. I stalled the car up to 2200 rpm this time to see if I could get into the 10's and I had to let out of it Twice in order to get it to hook up.
Nevertheless, I still managed to pull an 11.83 at 122 mph with a 2.0 60' Time and my first pass was 11.22 at 123 mph with a 1.67 60' Time.

View Video on FQuick

Well thats all for tonight guys....
Later
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

So sorry to hear about your dad. But your right I think he would have wanted you to finish what you started. And im sure he would be proud of what it turned out to be.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

wow... Sounds great... glad it got done for ya. Looks like you dropped some major cash on it. Good Job!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah thats what he would've wanted me to do. He never taught me to quit anything... But my only regret is that I didn't finish it while he was alive, and that he was never healthy enough to go for a ride in it with the stock engine either...
But I know he'd be proud of me for what have done so far.

Thanks for the comments guys...

I'll update regularly!

James
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Do a hood next!!! Car looks good and congrats and finishing it!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Duuuuudddee, sexy, that is a very sweet camaro, sorry to hear about your dad, but it sounds like he would be very proud of you. Congrats on finishing it up, now get a 12bolt or 9in in there and break into the 10's
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Very awesome job man! I like the hood you got, i wouldn't change a thing............well except the z28 badging, i'd put it where the hockey stick stripes split where the bumper and fender meet.

Last edited by stroker_SS; 06-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Over hauled! lol

man sucks you had such bad luck with motor/tranny

sounds like your good to go now tho!

keep up the good work!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah it's been a long process but it's almost done...
I did manage to get it going and running pretty good now so I'm happy with it for now.

My plans include an 8/10 point chromoly cage, Midwest Chassis FAB 9 With the upgraded backbrace, Chassis Mounted Tq. Arm and DS Safety Loop, and 3.70's. Probably with a truetrac diff or something. I'm considering a spool but it is a street/strip setup... AND putting my Zex Nitrous kit on it to see if I can crack a 9 second timeslip. I know thats alot to ask for, but hey I'm setting goals that 1 day I know I will achieve....

As far as the Z28 badges go, I would rather them be in the hockey stripe as well, But the car has been repainted and they didn't remove them to paint under them so I have to leave them there....

And for the hood, I honestly like it. It's an aftermarket hood that I was told was made by Harwood! But IDK what it is really. Either way I'm holding onto it for a while... I may switch to a sunoco if/when I paint it over.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Truly awesome!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Put some lightweight indoor/outdoor carpet in this week.
Just to lighten it up a little bit, and help me get into the 10's!

Heres a few more things laying around... or I have and just haven't added pics of!

Sorry, I forgot to flip this picture... haha

Last edited by LT1Formula007; 06-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Could you post some more pics up of the carpet. I want to see how it fits. What exactly did you get too, and from where?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

I do not like the fit honestly. I got the carpet from Menards and it cost me $45.00 and it was the black indoor/outdoor carpet in the carpet section.

I think it fits perfect until you get to the back of the car where the rear seats are and where the floor goes up over the hump and into the trunk. I actually had to bunch up the carpet and make it wavy otherwise it looked really shitty! It would bunch up in the middle and the outsides were fine. So I just bunched it up evenly. But it is alot lighter than the stock stuff thats for sure...

If I get the extra cash, I'm going to order the black pre-molded carpet from Speed Inc. But it's pretty expensive I think! (for what it is)

Last edited by LT1Formula007; 06-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Here is another picture of it.... This was a test fit, it looks a little better now, but not much better than that! lol

I'm gonna run it like this till I get the pre-molded carpet and a set of racing seats in there and then do the cage and delete the rear seats also...

Quick Reply: My new 98 Z28 (Under the knife)!