Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen camaro ls1 swap question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st gen camaro ls1 swap question..

will block hugger ls1 headers fit? or just leave the ls1 fbody manifolds..???
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure about the block hugger headers. I know my stock manifolds wouldnt clear the steering box with my ATS mounts. I am running Hooker ceramic coated long tubes. Hooker makes adapter plates that their headers really fit the best with. They work with ATS plates but i dimpled the one primary a little more just for extra clearenc of the pitmant arm.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen camaro ls1 swap question..-enginedriver2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

I just can't see payn 500plus for ls headers when reg sbc are less than 300. serious price gouging.I just wondern bout block hugger.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We just completed swap headers for your application pictures should be available shortly look here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...y-headers.html
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jwilsonf We have had the headers out for your swap for quite sometime now. They where on display at the SEMA show on about 4 different cars. We made them Out of Mild steel for the bugdet builder and also 304 S/S. They are 1 7/8 x3. They also come with the necasary 02 ext, bolts and gaskets. We also designed our own swap plate that is CNCed for a direct bolt in instalation. No need to buy somthing else from another company. It comes to your door as a kit ready to install.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen camaro ls1 swap question..-ls1-gen1-camaro2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW my hooker headers included gaskets and bolts. $500 isnt really that unreasonable. Nothing is really cheap for these engines. You can buy a high performance sbc intake for $100 too but yet our high performance intakes start at $400 plus. Ls engines are just more expensive.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no exhaust pro, but for my $.02 I wouldn't spend the money on headers over stock manifolds and go w/ shorties. I can't believe shorties would flow much better than some of the latest stock manifolds. If you're gonna swap cams or any other such mods, u want long tube headers. That said, I'm sure the pros would know better than me.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i agree bout hp gains over manifilds or shorties, just think 800 is crazy for headers for ls when reg bbc and sbc are no where as expensive and and is no more difficult to weld up then them just my $.02 ,no doubt stainless is twice price of steel...... Just like gas... gouging because of so many people doing swaps..
Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price is high because of the cost to develop the headers for a comparatively small production run. Also more challenging because not everyone is putting their motor in exactly the same location makes it difficult to build them that fit everyone. The cost to design headers for 500-1000 production run is the same as it is for 10,000, so in order to get return on their investment the companies have to charge more. Just like any other fabrication, if you have to pay someone else to do it, it's gonna cost more. We are putting motors in places where most people dont. As more people do it eventually the price will come down as more competition for customers occurs.

I paid $250 for off the shelf headers from Sanderson, then had to modify them. After that I paid another $115 for coating. Fortunately I have a friend who is a talented welder-fabricator. If I had to pay him shop rate labor for the 10+ hours he invested in getting those headers to fit....

Pat
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilsonf
will block hugger ls1 headers fit? or just leave the ls1 fbody manifolds..???
Back to the original question. I don't think so.. most block hugger have there tubes running and exiting about the center of the block and for a 1st Gen F-body, this most likely will come into contact with the Cross member. Siggest upi check this once you have your engine in place.
If the block Hugger are built to exit more to the rear, say between the #5 and #7 cyl., much like shorties, they might work.

As far as the performance gain or not for shorties and block huggers vs. Long Tube Headers, if the performance gains are suited to your goals, then use them. There are plus for using shorties/huggers, most of them are fitting them and ground clearnace as compared to traditional long tube or comp headers, which seem to have more problem of coming into contact with frames, suspension and steering parts.. and not to mention Speed Bumps !

Good luck.. keep us posted...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Default headers

Originally Posted by bczee
Back to the original question. I don't think so.. most block hugger have there tubes running and exiting about the center of the block and for a 1st Gen F-body, this most likely will come into contact with the Cross member. Siggest upi check this once you have your engine in place.
If the block Hugger are built to exit more to the rear, say between the #5 and #7 cyl., much like shorties, they might work.

As far as the performance gain or not for shorties and block huggers vs. Long Tube Headers, if the performance gains are suited to your goals, then use them. There are plus for using shorties/huggers, most of them are fitting them and ground clearnace as compared to traditional long tube or comp headers, which seem to have more problem of coming into contact with frames, suspension and steering parts.. and not to mention Speed Bumps !

Good luck.. keep us posted...

thanks.. that wuz what i wondering.. i have factory manifolds, just curiuos if anyone had tried them on theis conversion...... i could care less bout a 800 set of headers i got several of other toys with twice the hp as my ls1... I have seen the conversion ran with the factory fbody manifolds just depends on what mounts and you use.. i know the 800 set of headers will fit nicely...but i was jsut wondering about shorties...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know.. everyone seem to slam Shorties or Mid's.. for not being a good upgrade or being able to add the same amount of HP/TQ gaines as Long Tubes.

IMO, They can be of some benifit when using it on a 1st Gen F-Body with 2 1/2" or 3" Exhaust piple, H or X cross over and some muffers as compared to a full 4th gen OEM exhaust system F-Body where it might be of little gain.. But your not a Stock 4th Gen F-Body, You don't have the same restricted Exhaust system or even Cat's they do.

Some day, I would really like to see someone do complete Dyno run to get the real story on something other than a 4th Gen F-body or ??? I have not read of anyone really doing this and everyone just slaming shorties or mid's because they read it.

How about a 1st Gen Nova/Camaro or ?? 1st using the OEM 4th Gen mainfold, then switch to Shorties. With both using the same 2 1/2" or 3" X pipe system with some good flowing muffers..

Just wondering and not joining the "Hate Shorties Club". I'll most likely get flamed for my comments LOL.... but it all good..

Quick Reply: 1st gen camaro ls1 swap question..