Sponsored by:

Ford PS Rack Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ford PS Rack Problem!

Hi all,

I got my hybrid running this morning. One the problems I'm facing now is my Corvette PS pump overpowering the rack. It's OK as long as I turn the steering wheel sloooowly (we all know that's not real-world practical). If I turn it quickly, the front wheels start violently whipping back and forth.

I tried buying a 2 GPM valve for a Mustang II rack, but that fitting is twice as large as the port in the rack. My rack *may* be from a T-Bird, (I'll call the MFG Tuesday). Anyone ever experience this before?

Russ
Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you sure you got all the air out of the system? And are the wheels on the ground when this is happening, or is the front end jacked up (off the ground)? I've worked on ALOT of Ford Exploders that do this exact same thing when there is still air in the system.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Are you sure you got all the air out of the system? And are the wheels on the ground when this is happening, or is the front end jacked up (off the ground)? I've worked on ALOT of Ford Exploders that do this exact same thing when there is still air in the system.
I've been trying to get the air out by racking it from lock to lock. I've made a half dozen "passes" so far. The car's on jackstands and that may part of the problem. You think this will go away once it's bled out good?

Russ
Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I would recommend the Heidt's bypass valve for adjusting pressure to the rack. Instead of it just being a lower-flow restriction fitting like it seems most are, it is actually a pressure relief so that above whatever pressure that you've adjusted it to, it diverts flow to the return line. This fix for making the Ford rack work with the GM pump seems to work even though you're adjusting load on the rack via the pressure, not the flow directly.

If memory serves me well, Ford racks run on 7-800 psi and ~2gpm vs. GM's 1300psi & 3+gpm pumps(??)
Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frojo is spot on! All the hot rod guys using Ford racks have to address this pressure issue. I solved this in the beginning by using a later rack that was actually built by Ford to use a Saginaw (GM) pump.

Heidts is the way to go.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the shims on the pressure valve in the pump. This valve is where the pressure line screws in to on the pump. Easy and CHEAP.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Capt Chrysler
Change the shims on the pressure valve in the pump. This valve is where the pressure line screws in to on the pump. Easy and CHEAP.
Sounds good! Have you got any plans or diagrams for this? I'm using an '03 Vette pump and it has a ~ 1 1/2" long "stand" or something that screws into the HP pump outlet. Is that it or is it further inside?

Thanks!

Russ
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

You sure the lines are routed correctly? Sound like they may be reversed.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Default Detroit Speed (DSE) sells a restrictor

I have a bolt in restrictor from DSE for the GM PS pump Type II. The Jaguar rack does not like the high GM pressure either.

Just remove the line and put it in and tighten the line again. Reduces the pressure by 1/3.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nashty
You sure the lines are routed correctly? Sound like they may be reversed.
Hey Roger! Still got the GEO? I believe my lines are right, they are both the same size ports (16mm) but the HP fitting is a Saginaw o-ring and the LP is plain.

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I have a bolt in restrictor from DSE for the GM PS pump Type II. The Jaguar rack does not like the high GM pressure either.

Just remove the line and put it in and tighten the line again. Reduces the pressure by 1/3.
Hmmm, another Roger... This looks to be it, correct? Should go in place of the long fitting come out of the pump...

Thanks!

Russ
Old 05-31-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry

Ordered it last Wed., should be here Monday...

Thanks!

Russ
Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ANy of you guys running a heidts or DSE restrictor AND the Hydroboost brake setup from the 96-04 GT/Cobras? This is my plan. Im already overboosting my rack, needs to go back for a rebuild anyhow. I want full power brakes/steering off the PS pump if possible
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Installed my DSE reducer fitting this weekend, what a freakin' mess that made! If you're gonna run a GM pump and Ford rack, put this valve in BEFORE you add fluid. Also be aware you'll need to remove the PS pulley to gain access to the fitting (it screws directly into the pump). No fun slopping around in leaking fluid trying to keep the valve, spring, and fitting aligned and pressed into the body while trying to screw it in.

Now for the good news! No more violent shimmy and the steering feels almost like non-power assist, at least on while still on jackstands. I have one more item to address before putting it down and driving.

Russ
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Installed my DSE reducer fitting this weekend, what a freakin' mess that made! If you're gonna run a GM pump and Ford rack, put this valve in BEFORE you add fluid. Also be aware you'll need to remove the PS pulley to gain access to the fitting (it screws directly into the pump). No fun slopping around in leaking fluid trying to keep the valve, spring, and fitting aligned and pressed into the body while trying to screw it in.

Now for the good news! No more violent shimmy and the steering feels almost like non-power assist, at least on while still on jackstands. I have one more item to address before putting it down and driving.

Russ
haha thanks for the update! Im going to be working on mine tonight and was wondering where the fitting installed. Did it replace another fitting or go inbetween? I wish it wouldve had some sort of directions.

And everyone knows you fill the fluid LAST when working on anything underhood haha
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

huh, I've never had a problem after over 2K miles on my swap..... '91 mustang with the original rack using a GTO power steeering pump. Wonder if I should add the valve just in case?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jw33
huh, I've never had a problem after over 2K miles on my swap..... '91 mustang with the original rack using a GTO power steeering pump. Wonder if I should add the valve just in case?
You're prolly OK with that many miles so far. My problem may have been self-induced as the car was on jackstands and the violent shimmy occured only when conditions were just so.

Russ
Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cjmatt
ANy of you guys running a heidts or DSE restrictor AND the Hydroboost brake setup from the 96-04 GT/Cobras? This is my plan. Im already overboosting my rack, needs to go back for a rebuild anyhow. I want full power brakes/steering off the PS pump if possible
I'm answering you in protest after reading your signature and seeing what you did to a T-Type (AN '87 TO BOOT !!!!)

I am except my Hydroboost is from an AstroVan. Can also use one from a late model GM truck. You CANNOT reduce pressure at the pump, you have to do it AFTER the hydroboost in the line out that goes to the rack. You'll need a pressure reducer (bypass type) for that to work. You cannot reduce the pressure after the hydroboost on the line out (not the return from the hydroboost but the high pressure return line).
  • High (full) pressure from pump to hydroboost
  • High pressure return from hydroboost to PS rack w/ bypass pressure reducer in line.
  • Low pressure return from hydroboost to pump resovoir and low pressure return from rack to resovoir (I T'd mine together and used the stock Camaro resovoir).

I have probably $300 in my lines and Heidts bypass.

Russ - Had it out last week painting some stripes on the local roadways. The town Industrial Arts teacher wanted to show his students a Hot Rod. They seemed to enjoy the trans-brake launch in the school parking lot. (I always wanted to do a big TEACHER SANCTIONED burnout on school grounds. And yes, I made it count, the marks should be there for a couple years at the expense of the M/T's.)
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

...Russ - Had it out last week painting some stripes on the local roadways. The town Industrial Arts teacher wanted to show his students a Hot Rod. They seemed to enjoy the trans-brake launch in the school parking lot. (I always wanted to do a big TEACHER SANCTIONED burnout on school grounds. And yes, I made it count, the marks should be there for a couple years at the expense of the M/T's.)
Kids these days, they don't know when they have it good... This dates me a bit, when I was in school, my Physics teacher gave us an acceleration "demo" in the parking lot (complete with all the math), his choice between a 2 year old '68 Roadrunner or a Corvair Spyder. Yup, he took the Spyder!

Russ
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm answering you in protest after reading your signature and seeing what you did to a T-Type (AN '87 TO BOOT !!!!)

I am except my Hydroboost is from an AstroVan. Can also use one from a late model GM truck. You CANNOT reduce pressure at the pump, you have to do it AFTER the hydroboost in the line out that goes to the rack. You'll need a pressure reducer (bypass type) for that to work. You cannot reduce the pressure after the hydroboost on the line out (not the return from the hydroboost but the high pressure return line).
  • High (full) pressure from pump to hydroboost
  • High pressure return from hydroboost to PS rack w/ bypass pressure reducer in line.
  • Low pressure return from hydroboost to pump resovoir and low pressure return from rack to resovoir (I T'd mine together and used the stock Camaro resovoir).

I have probably $300 in my lines and Heidts bypass.

Russ - Had it out last week painting some stripes on the local roadways. The town Industrial Arts teacher wanted to show his students a Hot Rod. They seemed to enjoy the trans-brake launch in the school parking lot. (I always wanted to do a big TEACHER SANCTIONED burnout on school grounds. And yes, I made it count, the marks should be there for a couple years at the expense of the M/T's.)
the motor was toast in the t-type anyway and it was rusty, not like i hacked up a creampuff

I think I may try to use the mustang hydroboost as it would have to use lower pressure being off a ford as my reducer is already hooked up...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, i popped the pressure fitting off my pump today and the DSE fitting definitely doesnt fit. it will screw onto the end of the pressure line, but is nowhere near close to fitting in the pump itself

Quick Reply: Ford PS Rack Problem!