Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWBIE+LSx SWAP=OH GOD PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE+LSx SWAP=OH GOD PLEASE HELP!

Ok, I bought a 4.3 Gmc Jimmy as my DD since the T/A doens't seat 2 car seats well,lol. Has decent power but not near enough, I even tried to spray it and could only run with a new model mustang. So I bought a 5.3, harness and computer that turns out I don't need because mine is a 2001 and my current computer can be reflashed to work. The motor has an ls1 cam and I am putting an ls1 intake/injectors/fuel rails/TB, and I am wondering on what kind of hp #s anybody my know about. The main question I have is the motor has no accessories, could I buy a water pump from an fbody or vette and use my current alt., a/c compressor and ps pump with custom brackets? Also how do I need to go about it? Straight edge from water pump and mount the stuff wherever? Any help would be awesome. I also plan on using manifolds instead of headers for now due to $$$, would I not see more 1/4 gains w/ a 3000-3500 converter? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you have a car that runs low 11's why do you care to have a fast jimmy? but to answer your question, with an ls1 intake/cam you'll likely be putting down around 250-270 to the ground.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
if you have a car that runs low 11's why do you care to have a fast jimmy? but to answer your question, with an ls1 intake/cam you'll likely be putting down around 250-270 to the ground.
how funny to pull up beside something thst looks innocent and it blows tour doors off...and the car seats suck in the t/a now that theres 2. Thanks alot.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad98t/a
how funny to pull up beside something thst looks innocent and it blows tour doors off...and the car seats suck in the t/a now that theres 2. Thanks alot.
can't argue with ya there. Im sure someone will chime in about the accessories.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Teching In

do you have your heart set on the lsx swap? vortech and powerdyne make supercharger kits for your truck which would add some serious pep to that 4.3. you could sell the 5.3 and buy a blower, i am very partial to v6's lol. btw my girlfriends family is from lepanto and marked tree AR they are real close to you. do you ever get down at George Rays?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad98t/a
Ok, I bought a 4.3 Gmc Jimmy as my DD since the T/A doens't seat 2 car seats well,lol. Has decent power but not near enough, I even tried to spray it and could only run with a new model mustang. So I bought a 5.3, harness and computer that turns out I don't need because mine is a 2001 and my current computer can be reflashed to work. The motor has an ls1 cam and I am putting an ls1 intake/injectors/fuel rails/TB, and I am wondering on what kind of hp #s anybody my know about. The main question I have is the motor has no accessories, could I buy a water pump from an fbody or vette and use my current alt., a/c compressor and ps pump with custom brackets? Also how do I need to go about it? Straight edge from water pump and mount the stuff wherever? Any help would be awesome. I also plan on using manifolds instead of headers for now due to $$$, would I not see more 1/4 gains w/ a 3000-3500 converter? Thanks.
If you don't switch to the LS1 intake (The truck intake has much beter bottom end), you can use your old steering pump and alternator, with the truck bracket. If you need a little more clearance by the power stereing pump pulley find a pulley off a V6 camaro, its smaller. You can get the fill pipe on the pump to come up and attach to the rear of the alternator. The stock S10 alternator is CS130, most of the LS trucks have a CS144 on them, using the CS130 gives you about a 3/4" lower package and will fit under the hood without a scoop. Normal CS130's put out around 105 amp, but some make around 135 and you can buy aftermarket ones that will do 200 plus. There is a couple of places that sell a high mount AC mount, so you don't have to cut the frame. You'll have to find a oil pan or modify one to clear. Is it a 2WD blazer or 4WD? If its 2WD you can use the LH8 oil pan and shave the top of the crossmember. The 4WD requires some custom work to the pan
Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some tidbits you should enjoy.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...mation-390967/
Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by poconojoe
If you don't switch to the LS1 intake (The truck intake has much beter bottom end), you can use your old steering pump and alternator, with the truck bracket. If you need a little more clearance by the power stereing pump pulley find a pulley off a V6 camaro, its smaller. You can get the fill pipe on the pump to come up and attach to the rear of the alternator. The stock S10 alternator is CS130, most of the LS trucks have a CS144 on them, using the CS130 gives you about a 3/4" lower package and will fit under the hood without a scoop. Normal CS130's put out around 105 amp, but some make around 135 and you can buy aftermarket ones that will do 200 plus. There is a couple of places that sell a high mount AC mount, so you don't have to cut the frame. You'll have to find a oil pan or modify one to clear. Is it a 2WD blazer or 4WD? If its 2WD you can use the LH8 oil pan and shave the top of the crossmember. The 4WD requires some custom work to the pan
I see what you are saying but what I am wondering is, if I bought a water pump off of an fbaody car, then use the 4.3 alternator/ps pump, a/d compressor and make my own "high mount kit" but for all of the accessories? Since I dont have ANY now for an lsx motor, Im trying to be a very cheap B*stard! Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by d-rat_sixx
do you have your heart set on the lsx swap? vortech and powerdyne make supercharger kits for your truck which would add some serious pep to that 4.3. you could sell the 5.3 and buy a blower, i am very partial to v6's lol. btw my girlfriends family is from lepanto and marked tree AR they are real close to you. do you ever get down at George Rays?
Yeah, whoi is your fam from lepanto, do you know dewallys? And yes have always been a fan of george rays even though its like running on a gravel road lol. Its funny because my dad said its still the same as when he was going there in the early 70s. Thats where I timed my car and my jimmy, car running 7.97 on motor, 6.89 on gas and the jimmy ran 9.64 on 100 shot lol. But I really dont want to run the v6, even though they can be fast (had a 91 w/ a non vortec a 150 shot on slicks running a consistant 8.50 in the 8th), I have always wanted a v8 s10/blazer.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Teching In

also in a blazer/jimmy you have clearence issues with the truck intake. Its also a 2wd, its also been lowered 3/5 but dropped another couple inches because i am running the factory ss wheels and tires. The tallest point in the fenderwell is 28 inches. Also about the oil pan, I may have to make one custom, but i am n ot opposed to cutting the cross member. I read that the truck oilpan will have a little more ground clearence than the fbody.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE+LSx SWAP=OH GOD PLEASE HELP!