Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an upper radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an upper radiator hose

My setup is a L59 Truck engine with an Entropy dual pass radiator. The upper outlet on the radiator is on the passenger side.
Has anyone found a hose that routes close enough?? ( I don't wan't stainless or one fits all hose).
The setup is in a 69 firebird.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a rubber flex hose with the wire in it from your parts store(the ones that usually go on the bottom)....just get a measurement on the length to go by....
Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Launching!

you mean the non existent parts store here in Germany...don't want the flexcrap hose either...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual pass radiator makes it different than most have. Out of curiosity, who did you get the Rad from? For your hose here is a suggestion since you don't have much in the way of US type auto parts. Get a piece of stiff wire, like a coat hanger and bend it into the shape you need and measure the inlet and outlet sizes. Then go to a German wrecking yard and start looking for a car that has a hose similar in size and shape to what you need. Once you find one, make note of the make and model, then go to a German Autoparts store and buy one for that model car. I know what you are going through, I but a Chevy V-8 into a Vega while in Germany during the mid 70s. There was an American car wrecking yard near Sembach that I got to know real well. My Vega also had a number of Mecedes and Opel parts in it when I was done. Good for you taking on a project like that in Europe.

Pat
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Usually I'd say bend a welding rod or coat hanger to the shape of hose you need and take it to the parts store and try to match it.

You can make a hose from pipe and use rubber hose on either end to connect to the water pump and radiator.

It's not something I've used before but this might also be an option:
http://summitracing.com/parts/MRG-11010B/?image=large
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running a dual-pass radiator in my Maverick. I have a part number for the hose (E70724), but it doesn't even come up on Google, so I may have copied it down wrong. The hose came from Advance Auto (found it by going through their hose rack) and IIRC it was from a early 70's Camaro...

Russ

< Found it! For a '72 Camaro without A/C:

Drive-Rite Radiator Hose - Upper

Part No. E70724
Curved Hose; w/o A.C.; Cut to Fit

Warranty 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Offer Price: $11.99 >
Attached Thumbnails Looking for an upper radiator hose-100_1011s.jpg  

Last edited by S10xGN; 07-02-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast400
you mean the non existent parts store here in Germany...don't want the flexcrap hose either...
then heres a suggestion,buy a volkswagon......
Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billyflantos
That was helpful...
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Stu cool recommended exactly what I do any time I am stumped for radiator or other pre-formed hose. Just make sure that as you bend the wire you pay attention to how close or far you are from other objects in the engine bay so that if you find something close you will recall whether there is adequate room to adapt... Don't know whether you can fabricate or have someone at your disposal who may but a hard piped/welded coolant usually looks trick and of course fits wherever you want.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
That was helpful...
i tried to be helpful,he could have worded things different....but oh well cant help everybody.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

i tried to be helpful,he could have worded things different....but oh well cant help everybody.
Ya didnt notice your first post where you recommended something.... Was a bit unappreciative in tone. Guy is prolly frustrated as all hell trying to accomplish a swap over there.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
Ya didnt notice your first post where you recommended something.... Was a bit unappreciative in tone. Guy is prolly frustrated as all hell trying to accomplish a swap over there.
you're probaly right....been there myself...
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

LMAO - Unfortunately it's a situation I find myself in often due to my interest in these bastard swaps and projects. It's like the more it frustrates ya the more interesting it is...
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
The dual pass radiator makes it different than most have. Out of curiosity, who did you get the Rad from? For your hose here is a suggestion since you don't have much in the way of US type auto parts. Get a piece of stiff wire, like a coat hanger and bend it into the shape you need and measure the inlet and outlet sizes. Then go to a German wrecking yard and start looking for a car that has a hose similar in size and shape to what you need. Once you find one, make note of the make and model, then go to a German Autoparts store and buy one for that model car. I know what you are going through, I but a Chevy V-8 into a Vega while in Germany during the mid 70s. There was an American car wrecking yard near Sembach that I got to know real well. My Vega also had a number of Mecedes and Opel parts in it when I was done. Good for you taking on a project like that in Europe.

Pat
Thanks Stu,
I think that's what I'll wind up doing. Today I tried to go to a couple of German Parts stores...they won't even look if you can't give them a registration or model.
I'll try to score the right size from the junkyard. It'll be the best bet when dealing with the German exactness!
Getting custom parts/fabricating has been the most frustrating part of the entire build!
Sembach actually hasn't changed terribly much. You would probably recognize some of the buildings. Only the housing area side is open now. The runway portion was given back to the Germans 7-8 yrs ago, but they haven't done too much with it.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Launching!

REAL HELPFUL!!! THANKS!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

haha. try the hanger method
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast400
Thanks Stu,
I think that's what I'll wind up doing. Today I tried to go to a couple of German Parts stores...they won't even look if you can't give them a registration or model.
I'll try to score the right size from the junkyard. It'll be the best bet when dealing with the German exactness!
Getting custom parts/fabricating has been the most frustrating part of the entire build!
Sembach actually hasn't changed terribly much. You would probably recognize some of the buildings. Only the housing area side is open now. The runway portion was given back to the Germans 7-8 yrs ago, but they haven't done too much with it.
When I was there the runway was not active at Sembach either. Cool thing was they let us use the taxiway for a drag strip. I was a member of the Sembach Automotive Timing Association! They also used the whole airfield complex for a road course sometimes. Good luck with your swap. I bet the Deutsche motor heads will think it is cool.

Pat
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread has a Dayco and Gates web link that lets you put in the diameter of the hose ends then shows you the shape and dimensions of what they have.

Better than scrounging the pick and pull

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...se-lookup.html

Ought to be a sticky.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help guys! Finally found one that fits perfect! It was the spare Turbo Trans Am Upper hose I had in my attic! After looking everywhere, I pulled it out of the attic, and even though it hurt a little to cut the original GM hose, it wound up being a perfect fit.
Now that I can run the car for more than a minute or two, I notice that it has a nasty occasional backfire(ex). I'll have to check the plugs, wires, fuel pressure. The engine is new so it can't be anything big...

Quick Reply: Looking for an upper radiator hose