Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 DBW to Cable TB conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 DBW to Cable TB conversion??

Hey guys, I just got me a 2006 LQ4, it has a DBW TB. I already have a 2001 4.8L in my project car, that engine has a cable TB. Can I put that 4.8L TB on the LQ4 and will it work. I have HP Tuners if I need to do something in my 4.8L ECM. Will I need to swap the MAF as well?? Are they different in size or pins?? Ive read that all the truck TBs are the same size, 75mm, and Ive read that some are different. I stuck a piece of masking tape to the throttle blade on the electronic one and marked the edges of the blades, pulled the tape out and measured my marks with my caliper and it was 75mm.

Also, will that LQ4 plug into my 4.8L harness and go?? Or do I have to make some sort of mods?? Speartech modded my factory 4.8 harness for me, but with a 6.0L waiting in the wings now, did I just create a butt load of work for myself??

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Launching!

The harness will plug into the LQ4 no problem, all the sensors are compatible. You can take the TB off your 4.8 and bolt it on the LQ4. All Gen III trucks can use the same intakes, Exhaust manifolds, DBW or Cable TB's and accessories. You will obviously need to retune the PCM for the LQ4 though, but the harness and TB will work fine. The only snag would be if the LQ4 injectors were flex fuel, then they would have a different injector connector. But im willing to bet that they are standard and will plug right in.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on, thanks for the info. The engine came from a 3500, and I dont think it was flex fuel. Ive read that 'all truck injectors are the same', but somehow I cant believe that a 4.8 and a 6.0 have the size injectors. I believe they are the same type, but probly not the same amount of flow. Is this true?? If it is then I could probly use my 4.8 injectors and call it a day. There is a slight difference with this 6.0 intake, it does NOT have EGR. You can see where the holes WOULD be for the bolt and tube to go into the intake.

I think Im still going to go ahead and get that 4.8 running, and maybe do a cam swap on the 6.0. I also have a LS1 intake setup and all the front drive stuff for an F body, so maybe Ill put that on there. I know that it might not gain me anything, but it will sure look a hell of a lot nicer. The 6.0 has 317 heads, which used cam would work good with it? I just want something decent to get me thru to when this 6.0 becomes a 408 with LS3 heads and intake.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Launching!

The 6.0 injectors look the same physically, and have the same connectors, but are a larger LB per hour. I cant remember how much larger off the top of my head, but they are larger. The Ls1 intake wouldn't be that great of a option, but a LS6 would fit the bill nicely on a 6.0. Check out the new edelbrock XT....it puts down some serious numbers and is 1/2 the price of a FAST. And you dont need to relocate your idler pulley or change water pumps with the XT
Old 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
The 6.0 injectors look the same physically, and have the same connectors, but are a larger LB per hour. I cant remember how much larger off the top of my head, but they are larger. The Ls1 intake wouldn't be that great of a option, but a LS6 would fit the bill nicely on a 6.0. Check out the new edelbrock XT....it puts down some serious numbers and is 1/2 the price of a FAST. And you dont need to relocate your idler pulley or change water pumps with the XT
Actually after 2000 all the truck motors had the same intake, TB, and injector size 25lb/hr or 3.180 gm/sec. The flex fuel ones were higher 32 lb/hr

http://www.lt1swap.com/inj_maf.htm

Just swap the 4.8l intake over complete. The LS6 intake isn't really worth it over even the truck intake as it gains little and the Trouble to swap it with the truck accesories. Most the truck guy stop swapping to it years ago.

I would look for a LS2 90mm truck intake!

Last edited by Bo185; 07-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

that would make sense, but my local tuner says that they vary by 3-4 lbs per hour from the 4.8/5.3 injectors to the 6.0 injectors. Ill have to do some research on that.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
that would make sense, but my local tuner says that they vary by 3-4 lbs per hour from the 4.8/5.3 injectors to the 6.0 injectors. Ill have to do some research on that.
I wonder if its the fuel regulator adding more pressure on the 6.0l's? More pressure would mean little more flow.

Quick Reply: LQ4 DBW to Cable TB conversion??