Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone that knows truck harnesses and DBW, please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Someone that knows truck harnesses and DBW, please help me!

I have a 5.7L LS1 from a 1999 Corvette, and a 4L80E trans from a 2003 2500-Series van. The wiring harness was cut at the computer.

Would I be better off:

1) Trying to fix the LS1 harness (put new ECM plugs on) and add on the 4L80E plugs

2) Buy an LQ4 truck/van harness that already has the 4L80E plugs on it, and change out the incompatible plugs (injector plugs, coil packs plug, other plugs??)

My major concern is about the drive by wire components. I have the Corvette throttle body, TAC module, and pedal, and would like to use those unless there is an easier way to do this. I know GM did away with the TAC module at some point, and if I could buy a newer truck throttle body that will bolt onto my LS1 intake to make this all work I would probably do it.

Any suggestions?! Please help!!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

I would just get new plugs and while you are at it, wire it up with the 80e trans plug. Then you just need to have the trans segment swapped in the tune.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've never done it before, you may want to dishout the $400 for a custom harness. You'll save time and headache....ask me how I know
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I have a 5.7L LS1 from a 1999 Corvette, and a 4L80E trans from a 2003 2500-Series van. The wiring harness was cut at the computer.

Would I be better off:

1) Trying to fix the LS1 harness (put new ECM plugs on) and add on the 4L80E plugs

2) Buy an LQ4 truck/van harness that already has the 4L80E plugs on it, and change out the incompatible plugs (injector plugs, coil packs plug, other plugs??)

My major concern is about the drive by wire components. I have the Corvette throttle body, TAC module, and pedal, and would like to use those unless there is an easier way to do this. I know GM did away with the TAC module at some point, and if I could buy a newer truck throttle body that will bolt onto my LS1 intake to make this all work I would probably do it.

Any suggestions?! Please help!!
option 2 wold prolly be the least hassle, since it will carry over all the dbw truck plugs. i have 6.0 dbw 6 pin tb,
i know there diff from the c5, the motor housing is different and iirc the c5 tb has less pins.
it is a 78mm 3 bolt tb, will botl to ls1,ls6, intakes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the feedback. I was thinking option 2 as well. I can splice, solder and heat shrink pretty well, and I have the Corvette harness to pull parts from (like for the injector plugs, etc) I have never tried to "repin" a PCM plug and would like to avoid it if I can.

What I have now:
4L80E from a 2003 2500 Express Van
Corvette DBW LS1 (1999)
All Corvette DBW parts (TB, pedal, TAC module)
Corvette wiring harness cut at the PCM

What specifically do I need?
Wiring Harness: From what model/year truck?
PCM: From what model year vehicle (I am going to have to get it flashed either way)
Pedal: What model/year vehicle?
TAC Module: Do I even need one?
MAF: Will the Corvette MAF work or will I need a different one?
Anything else I am forgetting?

-Dave

Originally Posted by NemeSS
option 2 wold prolly be the least hassle, since it will carry over all the dbw truck plugs. i have 6.0 dbw 6 pin tb,
i know there diff from the c5, the motor housing is different and iirc the c5 tb has less pins.
it is a 78mm 3 bolt tb, will botl to ls1,ls6, intakes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

i bought a 06 6.0 lq4 that was equipped with 80e and dbw. so i assume if u find alike vehicle harness it should work, im familiar with dbw setups, since i stick to cable or carb when converting. i have harness u many be able to use. it came off a 06 6.0 2500 silverado, has 80e, although it may be missing some connectors, but im sure it would work as a core. but i did keep the tb.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

So will a harness from any year truck with a 6.0L and a 4L80E work?

If that's the case, in what year did they eliminate the TAC module?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 99-01 or maybe 02 6.0L trucks were cable TB
Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your interested I have a complete DBW setup from a 04 Denali, The Pedal ( already been modified) the TAC modual, and the Throttle body. I would be willing to trade straight up for the Corvette stuff.

Mark
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

TTT - any other thoughts? I still like the truck harness idea, but I don't know how many connectors are going to be different from my Corvette LS1 w/F-Body accessories. It looks like the 2003-04 Silverado had a 6.0L and a 4L80E, 24x reluctor wheel, and DBW with a TAC module. Think that's the safe bet? I would have to splice on my injector pigtails and probably run some wires to the PCM for electric fans, and probably some other little stuff...

Originally Posted by FastKat
Thanks for all the feedback. I was thinking option 2 as well. I can splice, solder and heat shrink pretty well, and I have the Corvette harness to pull parts from (like for the injector plugs, etc) I have never tried to "repin" a PCM plug and would like to avoid it if I can.

What I have now:
4L80E from a 2003 2500 Express Van
Corvette DBW LS1 (1999)
All Corvette DBW parts (TB, pedal, TAC module)
Corvette wiring harness cut at the PCM

What specifically do I need?
Wiring Harness: From what model/year truck?
PCM: From what model year vehicle (I am going to have to get it flashed either way)
Pedal: What model/year vehicle?
TAC Module: Do I even need one?
MAF: Will the Corvette MAF work or will I need a different one?
Anything else I am forgetting?

-Dave
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

fyi all 6.0 lq4/9 engines were 24x. so there will be problem with one of those harnesses if your engine is 24x

Quick Reply: Someone that knows truck harnesses and DBW, please help me!