Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Nova stock clip conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Nova stock clip conversion

Hello all,thinking of converting my 67 Nova to an LS based engine and have some questions.I would prefer not to have to cut the car up and would like to go with a carbed LS possibly a 6.0.I think the carb style looks more correct in an old style muscle car.What transmisions are used in a stock tunnel? The car is currently finished with a small block and TH350 and I do not want to cut the tunnel out for a six speed.Also headers seem to be an issue.I do not have a steering box to work around but the stock motor location is off set to the passenger side making clearance real tight on the passenger side.Are there any simply modified headers or manifolds that work in this application?I have not found anyone that makes a conversion header as of yet.Also is there an A/C compressor bracket available that will work in a Nova engine compartment?I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Nova 404-

I've been thinking the same type of swap with my 64 II. My big hurdle is the header issue, nobody makes swap headers, and I don't think I have a stomach for building my own. I don't believe there are any manifolds that will fit either. There are several folks who've made/modified headers to work, if that's your cup of tea.

The good news is you can use your T350, with the right flywheel/flywheel adapter.

-Jeff
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Not much help here, but I have an aftermarket front clip LSx Chevy II, but I am doing my own headers. I tried some late model Fbody LTs, but they won't work. I want 1-7/8" headers anyway, and none of the swap ones available are in that size, so I am going to make my own. My 67 Sedan will have a stock front clip with an LSx, and I will make my own headers for that one, too.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

A 4L60 trans will fit in stock tunnel.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nova 404
Hello all,thinking of converting my 67 Nova to an LS based engine and have some questions.I would prefer not to have to cut the car up and would like to go with a carbed LS possibly a 6.0.I think the carb style looks more correct in an old style muscle car.What transmisions are used in a stock tunnel? The car is currently finished with a small block and TH350 and I do not want to cut the tunnel out for a six speed.Also headers seem to be an issue.I do not have a steering box to work around but the stock motor location is off set to the passenger side making clearance real tight on the passenger side.Are there any simply modified headers or manifolds that work in this application?I have not found anyone that makes a conversion header as of yet.Also is there an A/C compressor bracket available that will work in a Nova engine compartment?I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.
I know you are looking at using the stock front end but a clip may be the way to go in your case. Chris Alston makes a nice clip that will fit your application but it will be some bucks. No cutting up your car, (save the stock front end to put her back stock if you want). You will have to drill out some spot welds in the core support however, (just buy an aftermake core support and drill it out). They will turn you onto some headers as well, (Lemon's I believe). You can phone Mr. Lemon dirrect to see what size pipes he will set up for you.

LSX Nova
Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

TCI makes a clip and headers, you can probably get the whole front clip with headers for about 3k. The 4L60e will fit easily, I did cut the shifter bosses off to help tuck it up.

For the stock clip, not sure but I think the shorty block huggers will work, think that is your only option.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

We have lined up a 62-67 Nova and will be making LSX swap kit and up to 2in hedders. The kit will run the GTO oil pan and will be out end of this year or early 2010. The kit will have poly frame mounts and a bolt in crossmember
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
We have lined up a 62-67 Nova and will be making LSX swap kit and up to 2in hedders. The kit will run the GTO oil pan and will be out end of this year or early 2010. The kit will have poly frame mounts and a bolt in crossmember
That will be great. I have a 66 wagon I just got an LQ4 for and looking for a 4L80e to mate with it.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 64 that we did a heidt's front end with. I had my 5.3 in there for a while, but am changing projects to my 77 Nova. I built my own motor mounts, and modded my tranny mount. Other than that everything else worked ok. I bought headers from S&S Headers in Arizona. They make a header specific for the swap I did. They also worked in my 77 with a little tweaking. MY 64 IS FOR SALE!!!! SET UP FOR LS ENGINES!!! I can e-mail pics if anyone is interested.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I have talked to Phil at BRP and am eagerly waiting to see what they come up with.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1967 Novs LS2 /4L70E

My car is done 67 Nova LS2 / 4L70E Stock front clip , GTO pan , Camaro water pump, alt bracket. Original 350horse 327 4 core rad with Twin spal 11" fans , GM Performance Wiring package (E67 ) with production Trailblazer SS T42 trans module , Yank SS 3600 stall , Stainless works custom Made ( towed the car 200 miles) headers , full length small diameter, Vector Tuned . Stock motor , first time out 12.51 @ 106.82 mph. I am redoing the 4" Cold ASir intake because the rad hose touches the intake and intake air is hot (145deg ) in the staging lanes.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

This is very interesting to hear. Question about the 2in. headers.....do you plan to be able to get these in with the engine bolted in? I have a custom set of step headers on a traditional sbc that go from 1-7/8 to 2-1/18 and each tube has to come out seperately..........this is without a steering gear box and linkage in the way.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Until i get the Nova in hear it will be hard to answer. We hope to be able to install these with the engine in the car. Ill post up some mock up photos once the car makes it in.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Until i get the Nova in hear it will be hard to answer. We hope to be able to install these with the engine in the car. Ill post up some mock up photos once the car makes it in.
Do you have a ballpark on cost yet......

T,
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nova 404

nova 404, i wanted to leave the stock front end in too. but after searching and getting no answers for the stock clips. i said to hell with it and bought an after market clip and core support. best thing i could have done. so happy with the steering and the way it handles. its great. its like a new car. don't even feel the same, its great. i think you would be happy with the out come. i have a lot of pictures on my build.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

I already have made some major improvements to the front end.I have added adjustable coilovers and front steer rack and pinion steering from Churchboys Racing.I can run any oil pan SBC or LSx with no clearance issues.I already drives like a different car.It is sounding like there are some stock clip things in the works from a few suppliers.

Last edited by Nova 404; 10-11-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

with all of the kits out there does anyone have an opinion on Motor mounts and who makes them? I see some move the engine back and some go forward.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

More to the point,in a stock clip what is the best location for the engine?Or is it preferance?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Here are some pics in a stock front clip. I was going to do a blow through setup but have since changed my mind and am going injected. I am just using the standard adapter plates with solid motor mounts. This keeps the engine off set to the passenger side and about .75 to an inch clearance to the firewall. I am using a GTO oil pan for the stock steering. From the passenger head to the shock tower is only about 2.5 inches. I used tight radius donuts to make the bends for the headers. Hopefully I can get the car running this winter. Plans are to run either a TC78 or PT88 turbo. Might try a smaller radiator and make the turbo forward facing .

Heres a pic of the car, just a lil 4 door with wires and whites.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Boy is that going to make a sweet little sleeper.Are you using the BRP mounts?

Quick Reply: 67 Nova stock clip conversion