Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX in a front wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX in a front wheel drive?

Has anyone done this? I have a 98 grand prix and heard a couple guys have swapped LS1s into them. I cant seem to find info anywhere so hoping someone here could help. The newer 04 up body style came with an LS4. So I imagine an LS1 wouldn't be to awful. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know there was a guy on club gp that did it. He installed it into an 01 GTP. Pretty sure it was a ls1 with a 383 stroker kit. He had lots of pics of the install too.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A co-worker has a 2-dr Alero (like the one below) with the 3.4 V-6, & after going to lunch together a couple of times, it's gotten me thinking that swapping in a front-wheel-drive 5.3 drivetrain would make it a wicked little sleeper...

(Don't know if it could be done reasonably though...)

Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murderedout_98
Has anyone done this? I have a 98 grand prix and heard a couple guys have swapped LS1s into them. I cant seem to find info anywhere so hoping someone here could help. The newer 04 up body style came with an LS4. So I imagine an LS1 wouldn't be to awful. Thanks!
i have been researching this alot for my new project (ls1 mid mount in very small car) the main problem is that the ls1 bolt pattern is different the the fwd trannys which can be solved if you buy the adapter plate for 500$ but then you might run into clearance problems because the accessory protrude quite a bit on ls1 motors,
but lucky gm solve these problem when they made the ls4 motor all of the accessory's on it are very slim and the even shorted the crank a few millimeters
and the casted the block with the fwd tranny bolt pattern

so to sum it up to complet your project it would be easy if you use a ls4 motor and a 4t65e-hd trans (motor can be bought for 1000-1500 and about 2k with trans)
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM

I heard about a guy on clubgp doing the swap but cant find nothing there. The search feature sucks lol. Would LS4 parts interchange with an LS1? If so I'll go with the LS4 setup and sell all my setup parts now. Sure I can make it go fast with a blower and whatnot, but a v8 in a non-v8 car is to cool.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What parts are you wanting to bolt on the LS4? Front accessories are LS4 specific, starter bolted to tranny, crank shorter, and the intake is on backwards(check out some of the LS4 intake threads). Easiest way would probably get engine tranny and sub frame from totaled car.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my car mocked up with the ls1, 700R4 and ford 8.8 rear. If you go to clubgp and look for posts by eaton_rice, you will find his RWD swap with a 3.8L with tons of photos. It may not be an LS however the principles are the same. There is tons of room in the 97-03 grand prix engine bay. more than enough to house the LS engine and maintain the stock rad and a/c units. There is a guy on the boards there that also did a Northstar swap into the previous generation car.

Good Luck.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 PM

I seen his posts and last I knew he still wasn't done with the swap. IIRC he's running a 3.8 with a turbo. This is my daily driver and can borrow a car to have it done for up to a month. But cant be converting it to rear wheel drive any time soon lol. Will cams and heads work from LS1 to LS4? And I think I noticed that the motor is mounted in backwards from how mine is. Btw my car is a 98. I would love to do a rwd setup and mess with some ppl. But just exploring my options. I have alot of the parts I need to make it pretty fast with the v6 but hate the way it sounds. The rasp kills me...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
the main problem is that the ls1 bolt pattern is different..
..so to sum it up to complet your project it would be easy if you use a ls4 motor and a 4t65e-hd trans
I had to look that up..and to be honest I was suprised..

Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Im not to familiar with the LSX bellhousing pattern, this alot different?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the standard 60* bolt pattern on most FWD setups. If the motor will fit then go for it. Measure from your trans flange sideways to the nears body or sub frame part and see what it is.

You will need a complete LS4 and they have 243 heads already I believe. But I have seen then for pretty cheap as no one wants them because of the bolt pattern is different.

The water pump is total different as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Wonder how much of a PITA will be with the wiring. DOD will be a nightmare
Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wonder how much of a PITA will be with the wiring. DOD will be a nightmare
Just remove it and the wiring. Only shitty thing is you have to take the heads off to remove the AFM (DOD) lifters and replace them. But it would be worth it. It should bolt to your trans already.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM

So the lifters are different and should i just replace them with LS7 ones? What about cam selection? i assume normal LSX cams would work. Just not sure if this swap is worth it.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the lifters are different and should i just replace them with LS7 ones? What about cam selection? i assume normal LSX cams would work. Just not sure if this swap is worth it.
The lifters and remove the AFM manifold under the lifter valley and plug the ports and install a LS2 valley cover.

The Cams are the same.

I would be more worried about if the trans would hold up. It would be best to get a 4T65 trans that was used with the LS4.

It's always worth it!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM

LOL. What I mean by worth it is, would I be better off going blown with the v6 and selling the car to get an f-body? Eventually I will but not sure if just cam and maybe intake would be worth it money wise in the gp.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Pretty sure I'll just sell my car and buy an f-body. The wrong wheel drive **** is a PITA and annonying.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure I'll just sell my car and buy an f-body. The wrong wheel drive **** is a PITA and annonying.
If the car was cheap, and you found a cheap LS4 then it would be a neat swap. It would sound great and be a sleeper, more than an F-body. You couls add a turbo to it as well.

I have seen the LS4 go for cheap. Check fleabay and car-part.com

I wouldn't give up on it if you already have the car.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok u guys i made a previous post about this and i has been done and anything can be done with the right know how.. but as a person who has been researching this for years now and idk i lost my motivation mostly cause i dont have the tools,garage , or space to try something like this.but also i own a LS4 and the engine is very diffrent.not much performance options with DOD.and as far as the internal options. the LS4 has LS6 head,LS7 lifters (the non-DOD lifters from what i have heard from livernois )and theres no headers yet (still in production as we speak)as far as the intake and exhaust manifolds go they are horribly restrictive even ported.. and well im gunna try the DOD cam swap soon and well see how it goes.. wish me luck.lol
Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loyde has done at least one in a FWD car.

http://www.fastfieros.com/Lxx_turnkey.htm
and LS4
http://www.fastfieros.com/LS4_turnkey.htm

Quick Reply: LSX in a front wheel drive?