Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap: will this pass emissions as a v6

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap: will this pass emissions as a v6

have a 2000 firebird and just did a ls1 swap out everything and its got a 7 psi procharger on it...now would i be able to pass emissions as a v6? will they know i hvae a v8 in the car if its NOT throwing any codes at all? do they just take the car and read it from the vin number? what do you guys think will it pass as a v6?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'll probably test it as a same-year trans am. If you did everything else right, and didn't get too crazy with the cam, compression and cats, it should pass.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My LT1 swap passed the first time, failed the second due to a bad cat.
Here in Md, my 95 had to do sniffer test. As long as HC's, NOx etc are within limits, it didn't matter how many cylinders are under the hood.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

well everything on the car is stock cept the trans rear end and procharger everything else in it is stock stock cam heads exhaust ect...i want it to pass as a v6 when i have a v8 in it thats what i rly need to know. since its a swap and there are no codes they shouldnt read it as a v8 correct? the vin says v6
Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Passing a Sniffer test is not really hard to do.. but legally you would need to be able to pass a smog test for a 2000 F-Body with a V8. that mean you would also have to pass a visual, and i'd say you would fail right off the bat..

but depending on where you live and what they test for, you might be able to have the Smog inspector overlook ($$$) what is changed or modified. But no matter what you can get alway with, still would technically be illegal unless done to the letter of the DMV law. your car would need to be re-certified for the new engine and for all of the equipement.

not what you wanted to hear...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bczee
Passing a Sniffer test is not really hard to do.. but legally you would need to be able to pass a smog test for a 2000 F-Body with a V8. that mean you would also have to pass a visual, and i'd say you would fail right off the bat..

but depending on where you live and what they test for, you might be able to have the Smog inspector overlook ($$$) what is changed or modified. But no matter what you can get alway with, still would technically be illegal unless done to the letter of the DMV law. your car would need to be re-certified for the new engine and for all of the equipement.

not what you wanted to hear...
ha yea its not, but would insurance read my car as still a v6 as well if it passes emissions?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't ask, don't tell...

Last edited by bczee; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike mlodecki
ha yea its not, but would insurance read my car as still a v6 as well if it passes emissions?
Emission testing stations and your insurance don't talk to each other.

As long as your car has a V6 vin, thats what your insurance will be based on.... unless you call and tell them you swapped a V8 with a procharger on to it....

as far as e-check goes, it all depends on the how testing is done in your state. If all they do is scan the computer, and hook a sniffer to the tail pipe and it passes then it won't matter if its a V6 or V8.

The big question I have, is there a different emission standard for a V6 and V8s?

-jason

Quick Reply: Engine swap: will this pass emissions as a v6