Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expert opinion on my LQ4 combo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert opinion on my LQ4 combo

I'm trying to gather some information on how my combo works. I would like to get some ideas as I am not so sure what to expect. Please before you tell me what I need to change, understand that this is on a budget. Do tell me I am an idiot if something is way whacked.

At my work, we had to replace a 6.2 L92 escalade engine and gm sent us a complete engine and only wanted the core back so the goodies I am stealing include lifters, rocker arms, pushrods, fuel injectors, coil packs, and some small intake stuff. Too bad I cant use the intake in the camaro.

First I built the bottom end of a donar LQ4 long block. New main, rod, cam bearings and a piston re-ring. Cylinder walls were still in factory spec and didn't have any machining done. New Oil pump, f-car pan, pickup, w-tray, ect.

Going to use LS1 241 heads, got them cheap with about 500 miles on them.

Cam is still up in the air, I have a free L92 cam or I can go with the LS1 hotcam kit (400 bones).

We will be using an original LS1 intake, which I have not aquired yet.

This will be coupled to a built 700r4.

realisticall what kind of power should I expect with either cam. Based off my formulations, I think I should expect 350-400 at the crank.

Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't want to use the intake rockers from the L92 with the LQ4 heads, since the valve placement is different by .250". Get another 8 "normal" LS series rockers, & you should be OK.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
You won't want to use the intake rockers from the L92 with the LQ4 heads, since the valve placement is different by .250". Get another 8 "normal" LS series rockers, & you should be OK.

Does this pertain to the 241 heads I am using?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Launching!

the l92 rockers will not work on your 241s due to te fact that the l92 has offset rockers. also the l92 cam is not going to work either because of the cam sensor location for one and also the l92 has vvt. i dont think you can bolt a regular timing set to that cam either.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Launching!

yes what he said
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Only the intake rockers are different.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Default okay then..

Here is my other option, I am looking ot buy a complete ls3 intake from a member of this forum and have access to one l92 head and I could buy one more.

In your honest opinions, is this a better option?

Like I continue to say. I am trying to keep my costs down.

and back to my orginal question, estimated power now with this combo.....

lq4 bottom end, l92 heads, ls3 intake, ls1 hotcam, stock manifolds, just a normal base tune.....

Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say that it's probably a better option, but I'm a bit biased. And you'd probably get a good solid 450 hp out of that combo, I'd guess...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

will be less than 10:1 scr unless u mill the heads some.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Default I bit the bullet

I finally decided to send my lq4 block to the machine shop. I figure why bother with a slap and go and a 2500$$$ gamble....

So my final build for the engine will be:

LQ4 line hone's mic'd and balanced
Machine shop to polish crank, replace cam, main, and rod bearings, install cam and complete short block. New GM oil pump. f-body oil pan, w-tray, pickup tube and screen. We will re-use the LQ4 pistons. keep comp ratio to 10.1.1 or so.

The valve train will be stock l92 heads, ls1 hotcam with ls6 springs, stock l92 rockers, ect.

Intake will be obviously LS3 intake and I am having trouble sourcing a drive by cable throttle body for this thing. I will use the stock l92 coil packs as well.

I think a regular ls1 pcm should drive this thing just fine and an aftermarket ls1 wiring harness for now electronic trans and use my built 700r4.

When up and running, off to a chassis dyno and tune.

I have dumped the cash to commit myself, so now there is no looking back.

This plain jane, 1992 Z28 vert should be fun, if we ever get her going!!!!

scott
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM

I am hoping for a modest 4 hundo at the wheels.... I hope......

sheit, my car only weighs 3300lbs, should move out nicely.

I can't WAIT!!!! to ditch the mean sounding TPI 350 I dumped in this car which is just a 350 cubic inch air pump.

Scott......

BTW, does anyone here run this setup?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scottjlake
I finally decided to send my lq4 block to the machine shop. I figure why bother with a slap and go and a 2500$$$ gamble....

So my final build for the engine will be:

LQ4 line hone's mic'd and balanced
Machine shop to polish crank, replace cam, main, and rod bearings, install cam and complete short block. New GM oil pump. f-body oil pan, w-tray, pickup tube and screen. We will re-use the LQ4 pistons. keep comp ratio to 10.1.1 or so.

The valve train will be stock l92 heads, ls1 hotcam with ls6 springs, stock l92 rockers, ect.

Intake will be obviously LS3 intake and I am having trouble sourcing a drive by cable throttle body for this thing. I will use the stock l92 coil packs as well.

I think a regular ls1 pcm should drive this thing just fine and an aftermarket ls1 wiring harness for now electronic trans and use my built 700r4.

When up and running, off to a chassis dyno and tune.

I have dumped the cash to commit myself, so now there is no looking back.

This plain jane, 1992 Z28 vert should be fun, if we ever get her going!!!!

scott
Hey Scott,

I think you'll be really happy with it when it's done, just a couple of things to keep in mind:

Be aware of the 24x vs. 58x reluctor wheel issue - the LS1 ECM can't control an engine with a 58x crank.

I'm pretty sure that the connectors for the fuel injectors are different between the LS1 engine & the L92, so be aware of that when ordering the harness.

Originally Posted by scottjlake
my car only weighs 3300lbs, should move out nicely.

BTW, does anyone here run this setup?
There are a few people on this board that run setups that are fairly similar...

BTW, my earlier estimate of 450 was probably a bit optimistic, that hot cam is a bit smaller than I remembered it - but 400-420 should be realistic, I'd think...

Have fun, & post lots of pics!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Hey Scott,

I think you'll be really happy with it when it's done, just a couple of things to keep in mind:

Be aware of the 24x vs. 58x reluctor wheel issue - the LS1 ECM can't control an engine with a 58x crank.

I'm pretty sure that the connectors for the fuel injectors are different between the LS1 engine & the L92, so be aware of that when ordering the harness.

There are a few people on this board that run setups that are fairly similar...

BTW, my earlier estimate of 450 was probably a bit optimistic, that hot cam is a bit smaller than I remembered it - but 400-420 should be realistic, I'd think...

Have fun, & post lots of pics!

I'm 99% sure the LQ4 has the 24x reluctor wheel, so I am okay there. I beleive the connectors for the fuel injectors on the LS3 intake are in fact different than the LS1 style.....

The block, crank, piston/rod assy's were off to the maching shop today!

here's a teaser
Attached Thumbnails Expert opinion on my LQ4 combo-cammy-024.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I may have a spare 90 mm tb.

I will look for it over the weekend and get back with you. Also do you happen to have a spare l92 water pump?

Quick Reply: Expert opinion on my LQ4 combo