Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6l60e or 4l60e out... question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l60e or 4l60e out... question...

I need some help here..... I have a 2005 5.3,out of a avalanche, I swap it to a 84 c10, I worked the harness my self, I got the computer reprogrammed, the transmission I used was one out of 2007 tahoe with the police package if that make a difference,,, I finished the swap,, everything worked fine,, truck ran great,, thru the gears smootly down shift , up shift , burn out, how ever it only last it for about 250 miles,,, the transmission had 17k miles in it, so sunday I was going out for a cruise and after some hesitation on the freeway, I pull over to discover burnt transmission fluid smell, and when I tried to takeoff , it will slip from 2nd to 3rd baaaad,,,, so my question is since the harness and pcm is out of a 2005 avalanche, and I think that truck comes with a 4l60e , and the 2007 tahoe comes with a 6l60e would that had something to do with it breaking? or maybe just got a bad transmission? thanks in advanced and correct me if I am wrong...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You may ask your question in the transmission section, someone might know the answer. I know there is a guy called Vince@FLT (or something like that) who is very knowledgeable and may be able to tell you if the harness to the trans is wired different between the two transmissions since they test all their transmissions before shipping.

I've seen two 4L60E and one 4L80E wiring diagram along with a conversion diagram between the two but the pin-outs and colors I found were different than what I have in my harness???!!! I left the factory connector alone and installed it as it was. The only reason I even looked was I wanted to double check something before I installed it. Even more confusing is my transmission has worked fine the whole time (thousands of miles).
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fptransport
I need some help here..... I have a 2005 5.3,out of a avalanche, I swap it to a 84 c10, I worked the harness my self, I got the computer reprogrammed, the transmission I used was one out of 2007 tahoe with the police package if that make a difference,,, I finished the swap,, everything worked fine,, truck ran great,, thru the gears smootly down shift , up shift , burn out, how ever it only last it for about 250 miles,,, the transmission had 17k miles in it, so sunday I was going out for a cruise and after some hesitation on the freeway, I pull over to discover burnt transmission fluid smell, and when I tried to takeoff , it will slip from 2nd to 3rd baaaad,,,, so my question is since the harness and pcm is out of a 2005 avalanche, and I think that truck comes with a 4l60e , and the 2007 tahoe comes with a 6l60e would that had something to do with it breaking? or maybe just got a bad transmission? thanks in advanced and correct me if I am wrong...
What PCM/ECM are you running? Trans controller?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

I am using the pcm off the 2005 avalanche. As I said the transmission was flaw less up shifting or down shifting slow or fast but only for a few days. The guy from where I bought the drive train from said he is going to take care of it. Hopefully its was a bad trans. So the new one lasts
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that you properly "seat" the converter on the transmission. Otherwise, you won't properly engage the transmission oil pump.

In addition, you should flush your transmission cooler and lines.

(The '07 Tahoe came with the 4L60E transmission behind a 5.3 engine, however, a 4.8 was also available)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fptransport
I am using the pcm off the 2005 avalanche. As I said the transmission was flaw less up shifting or down shifting slow or fast but only for a few days. The guy from where I bought the drive train from said he is going to take care of it. Hopefully its was a bad trans. So the new one lasts
6 speed auto with 05 PCM wow !
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Rsz288 I wasn't sure if it was a 6 speed. That's y I type 6l. However I did go to the place where I bought the drive train from and he said they are going to take care of it. I took the c10 on a trl and we drove it around in 1 st and 2nd. Then it just slipps and whinnes b4 going into 3rd. Will see if they take care of it.

Quick Reply: 6l60e or 4l60e out... question...