Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro Power Steering Pump fittings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Camaro Power Steering Pump fittings.

I have searched and searched and searched... But I have not been able to find out what thread goes in the power steering pump (pressure side).. I am trying to make up some braided lines.. I have the p/s box fittings all figured out, but the pump is stumping me.... I see alot of people use the stock hard line and cut it off and add to it with a compression fitting, but I would like to run new braided the whole way.. Appreciate any help.. Thanks! Jason.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

M16 x 1.5 use some teflon lines/adapters with that.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

This is what you want.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/648060/10002/-1

Also do not use normal stainless braided line it will fail in time. You need something rated for a much higher pressure.

Last edited by NoClassic; 05-26-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NoClassic
This is what you want.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/648060/10002/-1

Also do not use normal stainless braided line it will fail in time. You need something rated for a much higher pressure.
Thanks guys! That is the exact fitting that I need. I also confirmed this last night by looking up the hose on Rockauto.com and just hapened to give the thread sizes for the ends of the hose.. I happened to have a 5/8-18 fitting, which is virtually the same size as 16x1.5 and it threaded right in... I can finally finish my p/s hoses!! BTW I am using Aeroquip teflon braided hose for the pressure side and regular braided fuel line for the return... Thanks a million..
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a hyrdoboost from Hydratech on the Camaro, and it came with fittings and hoses to adapt to the PS pump. It had these brass inserts that allow you to use a 5/8-18 45* flare fitting instead of the o-ring fitting:

This way there is only one fitting screwed into the pump rather than having to use the adapter fitting and then a -06 AN. It makes for a little cleaner install. A pair like is shown in the picture runs $10 from them.

Sounds like your on the right track with the Aeroquip Teflon hoses. They worked great for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Wow that is really cool.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris442
I've got a hyrdoboost from Hydratech on the Camaro, and it came with fittings and hoses to adapt to the PS pump. It had these brass inserts that allow you to use a 5/8-18 45* flare fitting instead of the o-ring fitting:

This way there is only one fitting screwed into the pump rather than having to use the adapter fitting and then a -06 AN. It makes for a little cleaner install. A pair like is shown in the picture runs $10 from them.

Sounds like your on the right track with the Aeroquip Teflon hoses. They worked great for me.
Damn it man!! I wish I would have seen that earlier!! haha.. Oh well, I can always change it out later... I actually have lee mfg. inserts in my steering gear that accomplished the same thing. They work great.. I had no idea they made those for the pump as well.. One other question.. Did you use teflon hose for your return line as well? I bought enough to do both lines with the teflon, but I am having a HELLLLL of a time getting the hose stretched over the barbed nipple on the reservoir.. Plus being plastic, I'm trying to be careful and not snap it off :-( Any tricks for getting the hose to slide on easier?? Thanks again for all the useful info!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
Damn it man!! I wish I would have seen that earlier!! haha.. Oh well, I can always change it out later... I actually have lee mfg. inserts in my steering gear that accomplished the same thing. They work great.. I had no idea they made those for the pump as well.. One other question.. Did you use teflon hose for your return line as well? I bought enough to do both lines with the teflon, but I am having a HELLLLL of a time getting the hose stretched over the barbed nipple on the reservoir.. Plus being plastic, I'm trying to be careful and not snap it off :-( Any tricks for getting the hose to slide on easier?? Thanks again for all the useful info!
No need for the teflon on the return side, since the pressure is very low. I've just used rubber hose that's rated for power steering fluid. Short of putting a fitting on the reservoir (which I'm not totally sure how you could do), I don't know how you could use the teflon hose. A standard type braided hose that you'd use for fuel or oil would probably work better, but then the fittings wouldn't be the same.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I took my LS1 hose end, the steering box hose end, and a piece of wire bent like I needed the hose ran over to the NAPA store last week. About 30 minutes later and $32 lighter, I had my hose to go on my LS1 76 Camaro.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

For the return line on my LS1 pump I cut the bead off the plastic tube, sanded it slightly and put a 3/8 compression (Swagelok) to AN fitting on there and ran the braided line. Just wanted it all to look the same.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BBPanel
For the return line on my LS1 pump I cut the bead off the plastic tube, sanded it slightly and put a 3/8 compression (Swagelok) to AN fitting on there and ran the braided line. Just wanted it all to look the same.

Hey! That is a good idea!! I like the sounds of that... Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call Jegs or Summit Racing and see if they can help you.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You might be a little late. This thread ended 8 years before your reply.

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro Power Steering Pump fittings.