Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5/c6 vs Wilwood Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default c5/c6 vs Wilwood Brakes

I've got two brake setups in mind for my 1980 Trans Am and I'm not sure what to go with. I like the c5/c6 setup because parts are everywhere for them when it comes time to replace pads, rotors, etc. But if I was to get the c5/c6 setup I would need to get new 17" wheels and tires at least to fit them. Now the Wilwood brakes come with 4 piston calipers vs. 2 from the c5/c6 setup, rotors are slightly smaller at 12.19" at 0.81" thick and able to use my current 16" wheels vs 12.80" at 1.26" thick rotors of the c5/c6 setup and need new wheels and tires. Now if I go with the c5/c6 option I can probably find decent deals on the calipers and save a few extra bucks. Here are the links to both sites, prices are around the same/

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...mno=140-9053-D

http://kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10104-01

What would you guys choose and why?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would lean towards the Wilwood setup, as long as the calipers have brake dust seals on the pistons... and I think they Dynalite line does... or is the Dynapro? I would definitely check on that first. It keeps the piston walls clean and working properly.

The Wilwood calipers are probably going to be stiffer and have less deflection than the Corvette ones. The OEM GM calipers were designed more around cost control than performance. Looking at the overall performance of the C5/C6 Corvettes, one of the weakest links is probably the braking performance, which is tied more to the design of the rotors than anything else. That is why the C6 Z06 got some seriously ramped up brakes... an opposed piston design, just like the Wilwoods you are looking at. The regular C5/C6 rotors have this pistons on one side, and when you apply the brakes, the pistons pull the whole assembly down on the brakes. The Wilwood deisgn (like the C6 Z06) have pistons on BOTH sides of the caliper to bite at both sides of the rotor.

I like the Wilwood rotors better, too. The flat caliper attached to the (probably aluminum) hat is a superior design. You're going to be able to heat cycle it more aggressively before it warps. The aluminum hat might transfer the heat pretty well, and the flat design will keep the rotor from distorting as it heats up and cools down.

That's my opinion. The only down side I can see to the Wilwood kit is if the rotors are too thin. Compare it to what you have on your car now. I know a guy that has... I think they're 11.9" x .81" rotors on the front of a 4,000lb LT1 Jaguar, and he has had nothing but good things to say about it. Also, make sure those rotors have dust seals on the pistons.

If that price is for the whole kit (both sides) it seems like a heck of a deal. I would stay away from those Corvette calipers, but that's just me...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plan on having the wilwood rotors turned when you get them. For some reason they aren't true out of the box.

What are you doing about rear brakes? Keeping a parking brake is a desireable feature. A lot of the wilwood set ups don't offer one.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

I think Wilwood offers some sort of "precision" rotors as well. They are guaranteed to be flat within a certain spec... thought I think there is an upcharge for it.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Plan on having the wilwood rotors turned when you get them. For some reason they aren't true out of the box.

What are you doing about rear brakes? Keeping a parking brake is a desireable feature. A lot of the wilwood set ups don't offer one.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastKat
I think I would lean towards the Wilwood setup, as long as the calipers have brake dust seals on the pistons... and I think they Dynalite line does... or is the Dynapro? I would definitely check on that first. It keeps the piston walls clean and working properly.

The Wilwood calipers are probably going to be stiffer and have less deflection than the Corvette ones. The OEM GM calipers were designed more around cost control than performance. Looking at the overall performance of the C5/C6 Corvettes, one of the weakest links is probably the braking performance, which is tied more to the design of the rotors than anything else. That is why the C6 Z06 got some seriously ramped up brakes... an opposed piston design, just like the Wilwoods you are looking at. The regular C5/C6 rotors have this pistons on one side, and when you apply the brakes, the pistons pull the whole assembly down on the brakes. The Wilwood deisgn (like the C6 Z06) have pistons on BOTH sides of the caliper to bite at both sides of the rotor.

I like the Wilwood rotors better, too. The flat caliper attached to the (probably aluminum) hat is a superior design. You're going to be able to heat cycle it more aggressively before it warps. The aluminum hat might transfer the heat pretty well, and the flat design will keep the rotor from distorting as it heats up and cools down.

That's my opinion. The only down side I can see to the Wilwood kit is if the rotors are too thin. Compare it to what you have on your car now. I know a guy that has... I think they're 11.9" x .81" rotors on the front of a 4,000lb LT1 Jaguar, and he has had nothing but good things to say about it. Also, make sure those rotors have dust seals on the pistons.

If that price is for the whole kit (both sides) it seems like a heck of a deal. I would stay away from those Corvette calipers, but that's just me...
I was reading the same thing about the corvette calipers which is why I was a little hesitant about going that route. According to the Wilwood website the kit is for the front, both sides.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Believe it or not I was thinking ls1 upgrade for brakes from kore3.com but I ran into these at wilwood. I don't know if making them the same size rotors all the way around will affect anything though since every setup I have seen from factory is smaller than the front. I would like to match the brakes all the way around(brand and looks) so these would be good, with a parking brake.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...xleoffset=2.75
Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastKat

Oh, BTW great post and answer. I think you gave me the final push to go with Wilwoods setup. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

No problem - that kit seems like a heck of a good deal!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered Stoptech? If they have something that fits your application, you're going to be able to get 2 piece rotors bigger than either of the kits you're looking at. They're going to cost more though.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evan78
Have you considered Stoptech? If they have something that fits your application, you're going to be able to get 2 piece rotors bigger than either of the kits you're looking at. They're going to cost more though.
Well, Wilwood has up to 14" rotors for my application for like $2.5k or so for the fronts. With all that money I can get the car on the road. Believe me, I would love some massive brakes, but I would need bigger wheels and tires. Money at the moment doesn't allow for that much. Plus these 12.19" rotors will allow a 16" rim, which is what the car has now. The 12.80" from the c5 needs 17" rims.

Quick Reply: c5/c6 vs Wilwood Brakes