Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC not blowing cold, compressor engaged not cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC not blowing cold, compressor engaged not cycling

I have a 94 camaro with a 2000 ls1. For the swap I used the ls1 compressor and everything else from the 94 camaro. I flushed the condensor and evaporator. Installed a new dryer and expansion valave. I vaccumed the system and charged with 2lbs of r134a. While charging the suction hose became cold to the touch, water was dripping from the evaporator and the are inside was around 45 degrees. While charging the system th compressor never cycled. I started it today to go to work and the ac never got cold. I checked the pressures, 35lbs on the low side and 160 on the high side. It is a 100 degress out today with 30 percent humidity. The day I charged the system I had the same pressures and same temp and humidity. I am not getting any cold air to blow and the suction line is not getting cold like it should. The compressor is also not cycling at all. It is always engaged. I thought the pressure switch may be causing my problem because I used the orignal from 94 but a check online shows the 94 and ls1 cars use the same switch. I'm stumped and it's hot. Anyone want to buy a car.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you get the 2lb charge figure from? since its a pieced together system you can`t use the factory charge figure because your system volume is different. You have to charge by the pressures. The coldest air will come with the system low side pressure just above the cycling point. Are you getting any frost on the high pressure line just after the orfice tube?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Id put some more in it...I would have expected to see more like 220 on the high side and closer to 40 on the low side
Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Well I evacuated the system today and vaccumed it for a few hours. I charged the system with 22 oz of r134a. Now the I have 40 psi on the low side and 220 on the high side. It was approximately 100 degrees with high humidity. The air coming out ofthe center vent is 45 degrees and the compressor is cycling. The low side line has condensation all the way down it. The high see line is not cold at the expansion valve. So it seems to be doing ok now. I got the two pound figure from the stock 134 capacity. I know it is going to be different some but the compressor from the ls1 and the v6 are the same except for the mounting on the compressor itself. The only thing I can think of is I may have somehow got air into the system before the first time I charged the system. Thanks for the replies guys and I will keep y'all updated on how it's working. Thanks Jason.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevelle598bb
Well I evacuated the system today and vaccumed it for a few hours. I charged the system with 22 oz of r134a. Now the I have 40 psi on the low side and 220 on the high side. It was approximately 100 degrees with high humidity. The air coming out ofthe center vent is 45 degrees and the compressor is cycling. The low side line has condensation all the way down it. The high see line is not cold at the expansion valve. So it seems to be doing ok now. I got the two pound figure from the stock 134 capacity. I know it is going to be different some but the compressor from the ls1 and the v6 are the same except for the mounting on the compressor itself. The only thing I can think of is I may have somehow got air into the system before the first time I charged the system. Thanks for the replies guys and I will keep y'all updated on how it's working. Thanks Jason.
Good deal. 45 is pretty cool in that weather and sitting still so sounds like its fixed.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Your charge is still on the low side, you want high side pressure between 2.2 and 2.5 times ambient temp.

Mark
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Teching In

That was as high as I could get the high side pressure. The more I added the higher the low side pressure went up.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

A/C works and pressure are fine. There's always a number thats considered perfect, but none every make it there. 45 degrees is way better then 100, and I'll bet going down the road you'll see temps around 38-40

Quick Reply: AC not blowing cold, compressor engaged not cycling