Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx swap on a budget.....possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx swap on a budget.....possible?

i've read many of the different build threads and most of them seem to get WAY out of control for what i'm looking to do. the last one i read this morning said something about being $11k in and still counting.

is it possible to do one of these on a "budget"? if i simply drop in a stock motor, stock trans, and pick up the other incidental parts to make the conversion work on a fox mustang, is there a rule of thumb for a dollar amount? i'm not wanting to do it cheaply, it will be done properly but i'm not looking to do head swaps, cams, stroker kits, etc. What i was actually considering was locating a wrecked GTO and pulling the pieces parts i need from that and simply dropping into the fox. could something like that be accomplished for say $2000-$3000?

after re-reading my post i needed to clarify.......considering buying a GTO and using the pieces i need and then SELLING the pieces i don't need. having cleared that up, would i be able to pull that off for roughly $2000-$3000?

Last edited by LS GT; 08-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

you might be able to if youre talking about an LS1 gto and not an LS2 gto.

I got my '98 LS1 for $1500 complete, sans trans.
picked up a used T56 for $1200 and the rest of the swap parts for my FC RX7 were about a grand, maybe a little less.

you can really keep costs down by using stock parts, used parts, junkyard barely used parts, etc.

vette fuel filter/regulator instead of aeromotive fpr and expensive hoses and fittings. fbody or taurus v6 radiator and fans, etc. fbody fuel pump and cluch master cylinder, etc. a lot of small but simple fab work for brackets and stuff will keep your costs way down low.

the plan of buying a wrecked LS1 car is THE WAY TO GO on the cheap.
if I do another project car thats the only way I could even afford it.

you can always do a 6L or 5.3L swap to get the swap up and running and in a year or two buy a LS2 shortblock if you find one for cheap, etc.

lots of ways to do a budget build and still do it the right way to so its a beast thats awesome. go for it and have fun man.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Teching In

thanx for the input owen...

if i'm patient enough, i could probably pick up a 6.0 out of a truck for $250 out of the bone yard. i've had people tell me the LS motors are different than the truck line but from what i've read the truck motors can throw down some nasty HP. if they only weigh 65 lbs more than their aluminum brothers and i can save over a grand by using one, i'll go that route.....at least for now. i would just have to buy the car intake, and of course the wire harness. will the t-56 hook up to a truck 6.0? or would have to run the auto trans?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

car-part.com has tons of engines; that's where I found mine. If you watch craigslist or searchtempest long enough you'll see plenty of people selling whole cars in various conditions for pretty cheap as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a takeout engine,tranny, and pcm with wiring is the way to do it. Fabricate mounts, fab exhaust system, put fuel pump in tank if you have ability, and hook up the wiring. I have a daily driver p. up I did this with 3 years ago and it cost about 3,000.00 plus labor. If I had used truck engine it would have been cheaper but I used ls1 from camaro.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Another big part of doing this on the cheap is the fabrication capabilities you have (tools and skills). It's going to be more expensive if you have to buy every little conversion bracket ect.

Cheapest way I can figure to go is find a truck 5.3 engine pulled with the harness, accessories, and maybe the automatic. If not, find an automatic that will bolt up, or use an TH350 or TH400 with the flexplate adapter. I spent countless hours and money because I didn't have a complete engine and I ended up switching to corvette accessories (having to find or buy all the bolts and gaskets for everythign adds up quick, if you're leaving the engine alone this part is much cheaper and easier). My next swap will be using all the stock truck stuff (this obviously only applies to cars where the truck accs' fit)

Oh, and check out this thread if you haven't already:
Budget LS engine swap guide
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

thanx for the link. just found it and have read through it. fantastic info in there!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

I'm about $3800 into my swap ,into a 2001 Mustang, including the cost of the car. I have done all the fab work myself and the only thing left to do is run a new fuel line from the tank to the motor and it's finished.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Another big part of doing this on the cheap is the fabrication capabilities you have (tools and skills). It's going to be more expensive if you have to buy every little conversion bracket ect.

Cheapest way I can figure to go is find a truck 5.3 engine pulled with the harness, accessories, and maybe the automatic. If not, find an automatic that will bolt up, or use an TH350 or TH400 with the flexplate adapter. I spent countless hours and money because I didn't have a complete engine and I ended up switching to corvette accessories (having to find or buy all the bolts and gaskets for everythign adds up quick, if you're leaving the engine alone this part is much cheaper and easier). My next swap will be using all the stock truck stuff (this obviously only applies to cars where the truck accs' fit)

Oh, and check out this thread if you haven't already:
Budget LS engine swap guide
Good info there. My swap was done just shy of $2000. Replacing most of my used accessories as they failed bumped it up to about $2300. The biggest cost hike in nearly ALL swaps are mods and chassis repainting

If you're willing to slowly piece the swap together, using a truck 5.3 or 6.0 is a great way to save money and piece it together how YOU want it. A quick swap Id recommend a wrecked car or complete Fbody/GTO dropout
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

My buddy is doing the 5.3l swap in his mustang. Its relatively inexpensive until he got to the headers. Due to steering shaft clearance he found that he had to get swap headers which are about $650+ and he went ahead and got the aje cross member and k member and mounts. That kind of stuff is where it really starts adding up. He is also using a th400 and all in all I think he is still under $3k. If I was doing my swap again I would pick up a complete drop out or a complete car. I'm not sure where you are located but on the KC CL there is a 00 TA 6spd for $3k it has 100k mi on it and some front end damage looks like a perfect candidate for a partout.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

I'm too chicken to add up how much I have into my nowhere complete conversion, maybe one day!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Launching!

in my swap the "might as well do it while i'm here" added thousands to the project.. 10 grand ish before the TVS/supporting mods
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

I am no where near complete but I picked up a LQ4 (iron 6.0) complete with wiring harness minus accessories for $800, a T56 from a 02 trans am for $700, then I have about $450-500 in the camaro oil and accessories. At a minimum I still need to get a intake manifold, fuel system, clutch, driveshaft, and some other various parts just to get it running. Its not a cheap swap by any means but if you are patient there are deals out there.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definately try to find a truck motor. Sure they are a little heavier, but they can be bored (if later on you want to build a stroker) and they seem to be available for far less than Aluminum LS motors. Just alot more trucks out there, than there are Fbodies and GTO's.

From what i understand, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, if you swap on a different intake, the truck motors are just as capable of making the same power as the LS series engines, Cube for Cube.

Quick Reply: LSx swap on a budget.....possible?