Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Small steps...

I've been planning how the intake tubes and filter will be....I want it to look simple and uncluttered. I'm keeping the mass air screen to help with intake turbulence since there is really no tubing between the filter and sensor, much like an air lid setup.

Of course the bar code will be taken off the mass air and the aluminum body ends will be cleaned up..maybe powdercoated satin black but alum looks good.

I am going to make an airbox that will cover the filter and isolate it. There will be a tube coming off the box that will go to the driver's inner fender to draw air from outside the engine bay.

The cardboard is a sweet mock up for a coolant overflow bracket...and the fuel line is going to route in the stock location but I need to find or make some brackets to hold it away from the cylinder head. Lot's of small stuff all being sorted out at the same time

And lastly, the driveshaft is being built...Strange 3" chromoly, cant beat the price/strength ratio on those. Then it's on to exhaust and trying out the new chop saw!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I checked back on your thread. Looks like its coming along great! Nice Radiator too, I was thinking about Entropy or Griffin.

Such a bad *** sleeper. It's going to be a great feeling when some ricer pulls up next to you and then blow the doors off of him. Good luck with the rest of your build!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks NovaKid, the Entropy is nice but I had to modify the brackets a little to get everything to fit.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

More fun stuff...

Here's the Strange chromoly d/s and the x-pipe with the basic exhaust layout. The tailpipes will be done later on after its drivable and the front pipes that go to the headers have been narrowed a lot, 20" center to center. I'm using Flowmaster 3" to 2.5" reducers at the front. The mig is on loan from a co-worker to do the exhaust.

All was going well until I went to put the d/s in and found it's 2" too long I called Strange and spoke to the same guy that took my order. I knew the first thing I would be told is my measurements were wrong...so I took pictures to show that wasn't the case. He did the math again and agreed it was a mistake. He also told me in all the driveshafts he's done, this is the first one that was wrong. My prize!? Another 1 or 1.5 week wait time

Sooo...on to some wiring I suppose. This will not be fun. Theres about 80 wires that will need to have the lengths changed...one at a time...

Before..clean..organized:

After..what a mess:

I originally wanted to put the pcm up under the dash (an I still might, however I want it to run this year), so for now it's going to go on the driver's inner fender. Im using the stock pcm tray and may route the harness out of the engine bay and then back in at the firewall so they come out below the master cylinder. Same with the headlight harness.

And last is a new dash harness. I thought it might be a good idea to give the original harness a retirememnt after 50 years. All plug and play...good piece of mind :yes:

I know the harnesses wont be much fun but I am looking forward to doing all the cutting and soldering and making it fit nice
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Wow the harness looks like a real PITA in the car. I did mine while the motor was on the stand and it was still A LOT of work. I extend the whole harness 5' so I could locate the PCM anywhere in the cockpit.

Where did you purchase you intake elbow and filter?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Filter is from Summit and the elbow is from Intakehoses.com
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Did some cleaning in preparation for the new dash harness and engine wiring. I pulled the ducting, cluster, and old harness...then got into taking the kick vents out and found 47 years of junk. Leaves, dirt, and all sorts of fossilized bugs

Its no wonder the firewalls and lower fenders rot out...this one, surprisingly better that I thought after seeing all the debris.

Really looking forward to putting in the new harness! It'll be nice piece of mind knowing it's all new. A new headlight switch and dimmer switch is on the way, the ignition switch has already been put in.....basically I want everything to be reliable since I'm planning to have the car out on road trips and dont want to leave anything small to chance.

I took the cluster out for a disassembly and cleaning. The miles were rolled to what the engine/trans have on them since the actual mileage of the car is unknown and not required by the dmv anyway. The cable is from the CableX kit.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

For fun.....juuuust for fun....

Ok back to reality...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

I bought a 700r4/4L60e crossmember from chevy2only. The one I made was alright but this one tucks up higher. The only problem is it fits the early style 4L60e...for these the back of the crossmember has to be cut.

So...after making sure it does need to be modified...out comes the cutoff wheel. Both the back edge was cut and the plate that the mount sits on was removed.

Tomorrow I'm going to fab the rest, weld it up, put the mount plate back in where it needs to go, and repaint it black.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice L67 cover, lol!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Getting hard to find time to sneak out to the garage, so until midnight last night....I finished up the fuel line (I may route it just a little different later). It's an EFI to -6 120° connector at the fuel rail to Earls 350 hose to a straight hose end at the inner fender that goes to a bulkhead connector (which needed slight modification with a dremel).

Then I took the stock fuel line and put a -6 on both ends, then rebent it to follow the angle of the frame and connect to the bulkhead fitting.

And then made labels for the pcm connector wires. The connectors need to be removed to get the wiring through the firewall. I changed my mind again...the pcm is going to go up under the dash as originally planned. Only wanna do the job once

Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

looking good, hopefully i will see it out this year. gonna be done for Car Craft?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

I hope so. I wanted to have it drivable by May 1st, now Im shooting for June 1st. Time flys
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Worked on the crossmember a little bit more tonight. I bought some 3/16" x 1-1/4" flat stock which worked out great...just had to cut it to length, angle the seams, and weld it up. I need to add a plate for the mount to sit on, drill the bolt holes (which now fall right on the seam of the unwelded area of the top side), and paint it black.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Did you flip the fuel rail? I thought the factory fuel rail inlet was on the drivers side?

Your build is coming along nice. When is "fire up" time?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, turned it around so I could use the stock fuel line location. It already had a reproduction 3/8" fuel line so I figured why reinvent the wheel

Shooting for the end of this month...but just found a nice surprise..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Unpinned all of the sensor connectors including the trans harness to get them out of the way...

Arranged the rest into some kind of order The plan is to route the power and grounds as well as the coil/injector/o2/maf wires into a temporary loom, then add in all the other connectors that were taken out...

Im using this factory hole to route them through...Im thinking this was for the speedo cable?

Its really not a tough job. Its a heck of a lot nicer once half of them are out of the way and not in such a tangled mess
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Amem! Its not really that bad. I didnt test my wires for a good connection but I did give them a good pull before I shink tubed them. Should be ok?????
It was my first time soldering.

Great job on your build. I cant wait to here it run. What do you think of the CP box and wire? I was told its everything you need to run the drive train as a seperate unit? I think its like $95 right? I am trying to decide my route on wiring. I was think AAW but I would still have to buy more items to run fans/starter/fuel pump I think. I could put that money toward headers from CBR when they finish makin gthe shorties.

Whas you rearend making any noise before?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by greasemonkeychef
What do you think of the CP box and wire? I was told its everything you need to run the drive train as a seperate unit? I think its like $95 right? I am trying to decide my route on wiring. I was think AAW but I would still have to buy more items to run fans/starter/fuel pump I think. I could put that money toward headers from CBR when they finish makin gthe shorties.

Whas you rearend making any noise before?
The cp box is nice, looks like a well made and compact piece. Im probably going to use the ac relay for the horn instead of the original. All the wires are colored correctly to match an ls1 or lt1 harness so it's pretty easy and the dorections are decent. No the rearend didnt make any unusual noises...Im just going to put in fresh fluid and get the car drivable rather than have it down for another month for that. I wont be going far but I want to make sure everything is going to work so far
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good! I will be looking for it at Car Craft.

Quick Reply: I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.