Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, I love your car. I have always wanted a first gen Nova wagon. That has to be a fun cruise machine.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The beginnings of the exhaust system laid out on a piece of sheetrock..the only thing I had large enough to trace it out on. Plus its fire resistant so I just tacked it all together as it sits.

Its a Summit 2.5 x-pipe into some chambered mufflers, probably flowmaster knockoffs, the price was right. Tailpipes are TBD.

The mufflers will get moved farther back and I wont be using these sweet muffler hangers.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

PS rack is back in for the second or third time, and I think this is the last time!

The lines turned out OK. Where they meet the fittings is nice and square, no tension on the lines to get the flares to line up, but they could be tucked up a little more and run a little tighter together. But Im calling it DONE. Fired it up, cranked it lock to lock and no leaks yet.

Over the winter I may take the lines off and send them out to be copied if there is sufficient interest in marketing these. The only part of them I haven't sourced is the tube nuts at the center of the rack. Does a metric 45° flare nut even exist?

Also, this weekend the '58 Olds goes home so I get 60% of the garage back. The wagon will get moved over and the exhaust will get hung and the shifter will get figured out.

Then it should be able to be driven, finally
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Finishing up the majority of the exhaust today...all that's left is the rear hangers.

Started with welding up the pipes that go into the x. It's ok to weld on a wooden work bench, isn't it? Mig is quick and easy...but...slag city Past experience has shown me I'm really good at burning through thin materials with a mig, so I like doing the overlapping circular welds.

Aside from using several levels and body points as reference, I ran a guide string across the rockers...just tied some washers on the ends and dropped them inside the car through the windows. Simple enough.

And rather than build some kind of support to get the mufflers at the right height...I dug into my secret stash of tools and came up with the recycling bin. The trashman came today so it worked out pretty well It was within 1" of being the right height so what the heck. Plus it was wide enough to support both at the same time. Fine tuning was done with some plywood and builder's shims since the garage floor isnt level anyway. What a handy tool, I think I'll keep it.

For the record, I hate doing exhaust work. It's rarely easy..and the slip joints usually dont slip too well. I do like the flat 3" wide band clamps when the pipes butt together...much easier to work with than a slip joint. For this system I used 4 band clamps so that it can be taken apart in sections by one person...hopefully without much struggle.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Almost the final pictures The last step will be taking it all off, scuffing it, and painting it with the same Cast Blast I used on the PS rack.

No jacks or recycling bins

From the edge of the muffler outlets to the inside of the leaf springs is 9 7/8" on each side...didnt think it would be right on, I figured maybe within 1/4" so Im happy to see that. The mufflers can still be moved about 2" closer to the floor, but I dont want to tuck them up too far until the over-the-axle pipes are figured out.

The next system will be made entirely of non-aluminized mild steel. So much nicer to weld.

This is my sweet drafting table for figuring out the pipe angles. Just have to make due with what's available. Plus it will be an ok story in 10 years haha.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Spent some time yesterday between work shifts putting the sheathing on part of the wiring harness. Not a fun job and it could be better. To me it's as close to a factory look as I think it will get, but eventually I want to make a second harness and do this all over again.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Painted the exhaust and ready to reinstall it.

Im thinking next year I'll make a different exhaust system from mandrel bends with larger mufflers, and once it's done having it ceramic coated. Paint is as good as it gets for now.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Here's what I'm thinking for the rear pcv line. I dont have much room between the throttle arm and the back of the intake to fit the stock tube. I don't really see an issue connecting the dr side to the passenger side and then pulling all the vacuum through the front pcv port on the pass valvecover. That's basically how GM did it anyway. The port on the side of the intake by the tb would be plugged off.

I think it will be ok. Hopefull the line will relax once it gets warm so it lays down and blends in better :yes:
Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Cool project...and an even cooler car!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Made a new bracket for the throttle cable...

Two Leinenkugels and Mich Golden later it's all painted up...

And put the exhaust back on, hopefully for the last time!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Finished the throttle cable tonight. I also put the stock mcv hoses on and routed them differently to avoid the throttle arm.

For now, everything under the hood is done, until winter when I redo a few things. All that is left is the shifter linkage and putting the front seat back in.

I also found out tonight that the transmission transmits I started it in gear with my foot on the brake, then let it idle with my foot off the brake, then gave it a little gas until it shifted into 2nd. It was a good night. Another week and it should be on the road...FINALLY!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Everything looks great.. congrats!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Fantastic build! Im curious did you reverse the fuel injector rails? I searched all the post and no one commented on that fact.......
Thanks
Ruben
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Yep I spun them around so that I could use the factory fuel line routing up the passenger side of the car.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

For the past few weeks I've been building a shift linkage...starting with this

To get technical about it, these are angle diagrams of the gear detents in the column and the detents of the transmission prawl. If the column and trans detent angles were exactly the same, then you could simply make the shift arm on the end of the column the same length as the transmission lever and connect the two with a cable or linkage. But the problem is the angles aren't the same. It may work, but it wouldn't be precise and I didn't want to go that route. The actual linear movement of the shift cable (or linkage arm) needs to be calculated, which is easy to do, and then work backwards to the column lever to get the correct placement (length and initial degree) of the column arm. Ok...lets go back to pictures.

This was a quick mock up of the column arm and linkage rod...some 6061 aluminum rod, threaded, with a rod end on each end that will go to a bell crank.

Making a template using the original steering box holes so that no new holes need to be drilled...

Pretty much all the parts needed except for the cable itself...

Here's all that's seen on the outside...

And here's it all installed...

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Finally.....after 12 1/2 months of hibernation, she sees the sun again, albeit topless. The first time I took it around the neighborhood, some guy in his driveway yelled "Light 'em up!". Dude, this is a station wagon...c'mon.

I've put about 100 miles on it so far and it hasn't missed a beat. The shifter and fuel tank thing work correctly, the fuel gauge works like a stock gauge does, and the water temps stay at or below 190 unless it sits and idles for a long time (10 mins). I took it out on the highway for 75-80 miles and Fan 1 never came on. The converter locks and unlocks as it should and the aftermarket suspension rides nice, it's not jarring and there were a few bumps in the highway I was bracing for that it took much better than I thought it would.

I have to do something for a cold air kit thoough. The intake temps with this open filter in the engine bay have been as high as 180! Last night in the cool weather they were still at 130. So that's the next big project.

After putting this many miles on it yesterday, I'd drive it anywhere.

Theres a ton of work to be done in the squeak and rattle department though thanks to no weather stripping or sound deadener of any kind. And the mufflers are too loud for me...but sound really nice at WOT.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks sweet bro...congrats on a job well done, enjoy it
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I've learned a great deal thanks to the information that you have so graciously shared here. I'm considering installing a LS1 style engine in my 1963 Nova convertible and I was wondering if you might answer a couple of quick questions.

What type of car did your donor engine come from and were you able to use the stock oil pan and accessory drives from that engine in the stock front clip?

Was there a reason that you went with an aftermarket steering column or will the stock column work?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Launching!

very nice build read every single page of this thread... very nice work!

Quick Reply: I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.