Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who makes the air intake elbow and filter. Project is looking good!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice install. I have a soft spot for these cars. My dad had a sedan the same color. Back then we put a sbc and 4speed in it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The filter is a generic K&N from summit, 4.5" long and the elbow is from intakehoses.com
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a few pics of the pcm mount I bent up today.

It uses the bolts for the stock speaker tray. The back edge of the pcm rests on the dash (the shape of it rests perfectly on the shape of the dash) and it will get a piece of foam there to insulate it from vibration.

Next it's on to routing the harness and wires and making the looms. I bought the Daystar firewall grommet...it's really a nice piece.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that is trick, just answered my mounting question, mind if I use your idea?. So I assume you checked the wiper arm motion, and no interferance?

Can you post a picture or maybe part number of the grommet?

Looking great..

T,
Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TomM
Now that is trick, just answered my mounting question, mind if I use your idea?. So I assume you checked the wiper arm motion, and no interferance?

Can you post a picture or maybe part number of the grommet?

Looking great..

T,
Thanks! Go right ahead I bought a piece of thin steel from the hardware store (forget the gauge) and just bent it in the vise. The wiper linkage shouldnt interfere at all, theres a few inches of room...it looks like it wouldnt stick out much farther than a radio would.

This is the grommet...not cheap, but a nice piece. I like that the boot can be taped to the harness before the sheathing goes on like the factory does. Also, if you have the CBR floor mount for the column, this grommet fits right into the smaller hole.

Link

Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

I worked on the engine harness tonight. This is taking longer than anticipated but I really only want to do this once...as well as making sure it all routes away from the hot stuff and the sharp stuff...

Going for the cleanest possible look. All the zip ties will go away once I know it runs and everything works. I'll be using a split weave sheathing for an OE look..except in neon pink of course. For flair. The harness that runs across the firewall is going to be tucked down under the pcv tube.

I decided to run the maf, iat, tps, iac, coolant temp, and alternator wires along the side of the coil pack. Even on the fbodys I never liked how the factory routed these over the top of the cylinder head...just looked like spaghetti to me.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Final stretch of the engine harness wiring. The plate that holds the base of the steering column to the floor had a hole for a clutch rod which I used to run the wires through. Didnt really want to drill a hole in the firewall...

And here is the mess under the dash. Once they are bundled together, it will go up over the column/brake pedal brace and over to the pcm.

And the d/s showed up, again, yesterday. Strange had made it 2" too long but all is good now. Put in a new rear trans seal to go with it.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Here's the beginnings of the rearend project. It's complete, but I really only want the housing to blast, paint, and have set up with a posi, 3.55s, better axles...which then leads to the ls brake conversion. It never ends

And now.....

More wiring!!

The harness has been run and taped where things need to go, then removed to be cleaned up and retaped better later today. It'll go back in to make sure it runs...then removed once more for the sheathing. It all comes out as one piece with the floor plate. To me it beats drilling a hole in the firewall.

I'm keeping score...so far I have drilled two 5/16" holes and three 1/4" holes in the car. The less the better
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Here's the harness and CurrentPerformance fuse/relay box put together as a unit. The floor plate remains part of the harness thereby eliminating the need to take a holesaw to the firewall.

All that I need to make it (hopefully) fire up is battery cables and some gas in the tank. Ive checked and rechecked all the connections so it should go off without a hitch...but we'll see. It'll be a few weeks, there's some loose ends still to get finished.

And earlier today I decided to move the car over. After 8 months up on jackstands the tires finally hit the ground again. This will be short lived. Tomorrow it goes back up. It was COOL to see the car lock into park and not roll...it's connected! No more wood block! Hahaha.

The rear springs are the CBR leafs. Nice height

I'm going to adjust the front down about 1"...

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get all the wiring under the hood re-connected, get the throttle arm made, run the throttle cable, get the wiring and CP fuse block under the dash secured, switch out the tranny pan for a new one with a new filter, fill the fluids, and maybe continue working on the exhaust.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet! You are coming along nicely. I cant wait for you to fire it up. you have to make a video. Could you please take several pics/details of what you end up doing for throttle setup? Are you going to use factory pedal and linkage @ firewall? This is a area of concern for me on my build beside the cooling system. My CP box should be here this week and same with EZWIRING for the body side.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by greasemonkeychef
Sweet! You are coming along nicely. I cant wait for you to fire it up. you have to make a video. Could you please take several pics/details of what you end up doing for throttle setup? Are you going to use factory pedal and linkage @ firewall? This is a area of concern for me on my build beside the cooling system. My CP box should be here this week and same with EZWIRING for the body side.
Im working on the cable now. Im going to be using a lokar and the stock pedal/arm. The arm needed to be straightened out some and bent farther towards the passenger side, but it was easy to do in a vise. Im not 100% thrilled with the lokar cable. I think after it's drivable Im going to look into having a cable made like the factroy does with formed barrels on the end of the cable. I dont trust a set screw, but it will do for now.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Big step finished last night!

The PS pressure and return lines are done. Ive been avoiding this because it's such a pain...under the car, to the bench, under the car, to the bench...tiring job! The rack will come out one last time to be stripped of the black paint so that it's bare aluminum, just a better look.

Here's how they go up to the reservoir...trying for the OE look...

Belt is finally on...steam vent hooked up...its looking like an engine again...

Worked on a small bracket for the throttle cable. This is being welded to the side of an original bracket that the knock sensor harness clips to...

And painted the steering shaft...

A new trans pan is on, new trans filter is in, engine oil is in and a new filter is on. Hopefully in a week or so it will be running! It's just shy of a year since I pulled the 350.

:yes:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Some big steps are finally done :o

I finished the fuel line last night and the transmission lines today. It feels like a big step forward...I cant wait to finally put the creeper away!! I'll bet I went from under the car to the work bench 75 times :sleep:

I started by taking the reproduction 3/8" fuel line off and straightening some of the bends so that it tucks up to the floor better. After doing this...wouldnt ya know it...it came up about 2" too short to connect to the front fuel line. Joke is on me. So I cut it and added a section. I plan to replace the whole line with a single piece to eliminate the unnecessary couplings, but thats later.

Then it was on to the the trans lines...I found the limit to my pickyness. I really should have done these a long time ago before the front accys were put on. Anyway, I cut them along the pass side of the oil pan and used the factory line clips to keep them together and running straight. I used a 40" piece and a 51" piece and did not have to cut/flare either end. I'd also like to have these made as one piece with sections of rubber hose crimped in for vibration dampening, but that's also later.

Thats it for today. Im beat.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Thanks! Go right ahead I bought a piece of thin steel from the hardware store (forget the gauge) and just bent it in the vise. The wiper linkage shouldnt interfere at all, theres a few inches of room...it looks like it wouldnt stick out much farther than a radio would.

This is the grommet...not cheap, but a nice piece. I like that the boot can be taped to the harness before the sheathing goes on like the factory does. Also, if you have the CBR floor mount for the column, this grommet fits right into the smaller hole.

Link

I use cheap cv boots for that purpose.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Just picking away at cleaning up the wiring..hooked up the NSS, TCC, and the Diag port.

Getting close to wrapping it up. No pun intended.

The brake switch/tcc enable was about $12 from Summit...and I was going to put the ALDL port under the dash in the usual OBDII location, but there would be interference with the ac unit and ebrake handle...so I went with putting it up under the dash on the brake pedal brace.

And last...the fluid have been filled. The PS pressure line is leaking...I dont get it, I dont see anything wrong with it, so a new one is on the way to be remade.

The battery cables are done. I used the f-body cables and cut the side mount ends off and bought the bolt on top post style clamps. This winter Im going to send them out and have them copied by a company that builds battery cables so the ends are crimped and look factory.

I hooked up power...the fuel pump runs...all the lights work...and it cranks over! All good news.

Getting close. Still some loose ends to finish before firing it up.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Teching In

What's the part number on that brake switch from Summit?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome build here! I love it. Definitely going to be following this.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

See if this works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BsDIMXg-I

Last edited by 99ssleeper; 07-01-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts

You just got to like turn the key and it starts.

Quick Reply: I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.