Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific Mustang swap k-member question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific Mustang swap k-member question.

I am doing a 6.0 conversion on my 90 mustang hatch and I got a screamin deal on a UPR 4.6 swap fox k-member. I know the stock 4.6L k-members will work for this swap with stock manifolds. But my question will this UPR k-member work with Dynatech or Kooks headers? Has anyone tried this peticular type of k-member setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
I am doing a 6.0 conversion on my 90 mustang hatch and I got a screamin deal on a UPR 4.6 swap fox k-member. I know the stock 4.6L k-members will work for this swap with stock manifolds. But my question will this UPR k-member work with Dynatech or Kooks headers? Has anyone tried this peticular type of k-member setup? Thanks in advance.
Nope. They will hit the k member at the mount. Best bet is the BRP ones I believe listed somewhere here in this forum that are supposed to fit with the 5.0 kmember and mounts. They sell a kit that has mounts and headers.... You can buy headers separate and the 4.6 and 5.0 Kmembers/mounts are AWFUL similar so you should be able to use their headers.

Other than that you are having some built or doing the whole welding 351 headers onto the LS1 flange nonsense.... Not a big fan of the latter. Just seems to be a lot of work for the end result....

Hope that helps.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I second that, the brp kit is so easy but expensive. For less aje give the tubular kmember with it but it's an easy swap
Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Teching In

That sucks. I got this k-member for $100 hoping I could make it work.

So you are saying the Kooks and Dynatech headers will hit the flat mounts that the 4.6 mounts use?

Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at the BRP headers too. But you are right, they are awfully high.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Get the AJE, I tried a 4.6 kmember and it was not lining up for me but it was a 96-04 kmember I was trying in my fox body
Old 11-09-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 72Elkytpi
Get the AJE, I tried a 4.6 kmember and it was not lining up for me but it was a 96-04 kmember I was trying in my fox body
96-04 K members should all bolt right into fox cars.... Some k members though do have quality control issues and some have longer "tail or leg" on the portion of the K that bolts up under the car just before the subframe or the rear most mount of the kmember.

I've done a couple foxbodies with aftermarket modular k-members without issue. One thing you will need to do when going this route is to extend/lengthen the steering shaft as the 4.6 kmembers put the rack further forward than the 5.0 cars. I cut mine and added a small length.... Works fine and likely stronger than stock. LOL for late model cars this isn't needed though. 94up....

Quick Reply: Specific Mustang swap k-member question.