Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting engine/trans into final location

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting engine/trans into final location

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Am getting ready to mock up the engine trans in my 55 Olds one more time and hope to be measuring and cutting the motor mount pieces and trans crossmember material.

What are my options for getting the assembly in there and stabilized instead of hanging from the hoist?

Whats the best way to level side to side? in fact, where is the best place to put the level for both side to side and front to back?

I have to fab both the motor mounts (going to try to use the Fatman tubular kit, but it will be a bit triangulated as I'm several inches behind the crossmember) and the trans crossmember from scratch.

First step, how do I keep the motor in perfect position to fit-up this stuff.

Joe
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jozw30
Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Am getting ready to mock up the engine trans in my 55 Olds one more time and hope to be measuring and cutting the motor mount pieces and trans crossmember material.

What are my options for getting the assembly in there and stabilized instead of hanging from the hoist?Once you get the engine in its location you can measure the clearence between the crossmember and the oilpan and shim it with wood and block the trans across the pan with wood. Ideally..... you would just have a block and could tack a pc. of square tubing standing upright at the crossmember

Whats the best way to level side to side? in fact, where is the best place to put the level for both side to side and front to back?You can use a long level accross the valvecovers or a torpedo accross thetop of the block when the intake manifold is removed.I have to fab both the motor mounts (going to try to use the Fatman tubular kit, but it will be a bit triangulated as I'm several inches behind the crossmember) and the trans crossmember from scratch.

First step, how do I keep the motor in perfect position to fit-up this stuff.see above. Just ideas. Be sure to start a thread and take alot

Joe
Be sure to start a thread and take alot of pics.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM
rao
TECH Resident

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

Get some support for the transmission. I started with a transmission jack and then built a temporary transmission mount before I did the engine mounts.

Take your time, you want to check EVERYTHING so you don't have to start over.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by rao
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

Get some support for the transmission. I started with a transmission jack and then built a temporary transmission mount before I did the engine mounts.

Take your time, you want to check EVERYTHING so you don't have to start over.
I like your idea ALOT better. I've used them for FWD trany swaps, but never thought of using them this way. Great idea dude!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

What would that bar be sitting on? The fenders are not on the car.

No other spot to put a level? I have to remove the intake? Bummer.

I may start a thread, but I'm moving so slow, everyone would be bored.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM
rao
TECH Resident

The bar sits on the inside of the fenders.

You could use a level in several places, but I found it more convenient to have the intake off.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had good luck using wood blocks under the oil pan & trans mount areas. Once the weight is "on the car", you can pry or nudge the motor to make final adjustments.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id be careful using that support tool. Older cars aren't built like the newer ones which that tool was designed for. That tool not only us supported by the fenders but the body as well.

Quick Reply: Getting engine/trans into final location