Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 2005 BMW X5 4.8IS??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 into 2005 BMW X5 4.8IS??

would love to hear your input if you know anything I do not....

I am just starting to research putting a twin turbo LS1 into a 2005 BMW X5 4.8IS.

I have done all kinds of LS swaps in the past, but in old muscle cars.

My main question is: Do you know if I can retain the stock ECM/BCM in the truck to run everything including the 6 speed auto BMW trans? I am hoping to run the engine on the LS ECM, and hopefully get signal from the BMW "Throttle by wire" from the stock BMW pedal and send the signal to both the LS and BMW ECU.

I figure if the BMW ecm gets at least the origional TBW signal for throttle position and the rpm input, the shifting should still function via the stock BMW ECM.

And the LS setup will obviously run itself off its own ECM but hopefully the BMW TBW will interface to control the throttle position.

My other thought is to run the LS1/2 engine off the BMW ECM. I would have to use the BMW Oil pressure, oil level, coolant, and crank position sensors from the BMW engine. Not sure how many tooth the BMW reluctor ring is for that year though.... The with any luck I could run the LS coils, injectors, etc off it...

Not sure which route to take yet but am looking for any input on the BMW system if you have any...
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldent even replace a sensor on one of those cars much less swap an engine. The stock unit is pretty decent too so whats really to be gained?

The only way I would swap one is if it was a race car and I ripped out all the interior wiring and made my own harness using the stock switches, with aftermarket gauges.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well I need to change the engine because the BMW engines are not good. The all-wheel-drive X Dr. system is amazing one of the best all-wheel-drive systems in the whole world so if I can get an LS motor hooked up to the stock drivetrain I'll be good to go.

So realistically if I can get a tach signal for both the LS and the stock computer and get the fly by wire signal for both the LS and the stock computer I should be run a piggyback setup and have it work how it should I think??
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Well I need to change the engine because the BMW engines are not good. The all-wheel-drive X Dr. system is amazing one of the best all-wheel-drive systems in the whole world so if I can get an LS motor hooked up to the stock drivetrain I'll be good to go.

So realistically if I can get a tach signal for both the LS and the stock computer and get the fly by wire signal for both the LS and the stock computer I should be run a piggyback setup and have it work how it should I think??
Start ordering the wiring diagrams and call advanced adapters. Sounds like a cool idea too me.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Well I need to change the engine because the BMW engines are not good.
Huh? I rebuilt a 235k BMW V8 last year and the cylinders still had the cross hatch. A LS1 in that vehicle won't make it any faster without some good mods.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Im going to put twin turbos in it...

I am working with some software companies right now to be able to eliminate some unnecessary functions in the BMW ecu and aI think my best bet is to try to run the LS1 off of the BMW ecu.

I need to find out what the timing signal input of the BMW is. I wonder if its 24 or 58 tooth, if so, I could probably use the crank position signal from the LS motor... Id hate to ditch the Motor, trans, transfer case. But I may have to install a setup from a trailblazer SS if I cant get the tuning issues worked out.

I have owned many BMW's I love the cars, hate the motors. The are grossly underpowered and I consider them to be to "fragile" when you pound the snot out of them. I guess I could rip the 4.8 apart and toss some billet rods and forged dished pistons into it... I dont know, I am still tossing around ideas...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Im going to put twin turbos in it...

I have owned many BMW's I love the cars, hate the motors. The are grossly underpowered and I consider them to be to "fragile" when you pound the snot out of them. I guess I could rip the 4.8 apart and toss some billet rods and forged dished pistons into it... I dont know, I am still tossing around ideas...
Your best bet might be to contact Alpina or find a B7 motor. I have literally driven every model and configuration of BMW with everything from 0 to 300k miles and, properly maintained, have never been afraid to beat the snot out of them. My '02 Camaro and '06 GTO were way more fragile. But its your X5. There would need to be alot of custom one-off items to make it work (while keeping AWD). Here's some motivation though: An X5 with the McLaren (BMW) V12 and manual trans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enG-XzZrg68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuVxi6hMqI

(in German, sorry)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Haha... the difference is I can make a 1000 hp twin turbo setup in the truck for $10k. To even try to make 700hp with a BMW engine it would surely cost tripple that(let alone have it be maintenance free and cheap to maintain).

I am trying to find somone who makes forged rods and psitons for the 4.8IS. But its looking like I just may have to junk the motor/trans/transfer case in favor of the trialblazer setup, that would be the easiest setup to toss into it, but I would REALLY like to keep the 6 speed automatic and electronic trasfer case. Time and research will lead me in the right direction.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Teching In

lol...
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

?? Whats funny??
Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

?? Whats funny??
Most people on here wouldn't attempt this or even have the idea come to their head. I believe "LOL" is his way of letting you know he doesn't have the ***** to try it..or the intellect.

Go for it. The X5 is a sexy truck and with a mean AMERICAN V8 in it, instead of the FART CAN sounding motor in the video would be an improvement. When you accomplish this swap, you could start a business of swapping all the BMW's over....
Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribed i think it a great idea. I have install ls motors in a lot of different cars but a bmw has never crossed my mind.. Keep us updated man.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best approach would be to keep the BMW ECU and just retain as many inputs to it as possible (i.e. power,ground,crank signal for RPM, etc). Then run the LS1 off the stock GM ECU.

Most of the other ECUs in the BMW will be unaffected.

For the trans, as mentioned above an adapter would be needed. Personally I would ditch it for something that will bolt up to the LS1.

All the wiring diagrams you need can be found in the link below
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/

See my signature for my BMW LS1
Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

It's actually not that big of a project it looks pretty straightforward and simple to me compared to some of the other stuff I've done but I just got a basically decide whether I'm going to use LS motor with the BMW drive train or the entire LS drivetrain or what I'm a do I'm not sure yet. The TwinTurbo are going to be the easiest part there's so much room in this thing!!! It's like it was made for it or something!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I would ditch the BMW transmission but then I lose all the stability control which I'm trying to find a way to keep yet, but who knows... I'm not real worried about the BMW transmission they can handle a lot of power especially for change out the weak A drum.

If I can find some decent tuning software for the BMW I can technically run the LS motor off the BMW ECU I'm thinking.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will find it very difficult to retain the DSC (dynamic stability control) Its function is dependent on several modules including the DME (engine ECU) all of which are tied together via CAN-BUS. If one module is missing or not fully functional, the DSC will not work. In this case since the DME will not be fully functional, the DSC will not work. ABS will work fine though.

Some light reading for ya
http://www.e38.org/DSC.pdf
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

If I can find tuning software to eliminate certain things out of the system I should be able to an LS motor on the BMW drivetrain with tach feedback, fly by wire, I should then be able to copy all my maps from the LS motor directly to the BMW convert them and have it run the LS motor and have it run like it should I'm thinking..... Or..... Just change it all over to SS drivetrain, slap the TwinTurbos on and call it a day. But I'm still Gonna Mess around and try to keep the BMW drivetrain because it is something special. (except for the engine of course)
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Save yourself the hassle. You will not be able to do that with the BMW ECUs. They are not as user friendly as GM and neither will you have access to anything that can tune the BMW DME and have it control the LS1.
Messing around is all you will be doing!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ditch the 5hp24 ZF transmission unless you know someone who can build one. It will never handle the TQ a TT LS can produce. Go with a 6speed GM auto and do your homework on the PCM to BCM if you want to run separate systems. Your best bet is retrofitting the BMW electronics onto the LS and having someone tune the stock PCM. The M62 is a very simple engine despite the vanos, but with a good tuner they can take that out and set it to 0* advance. It can totally be done as long as you have the patience and perseverance to take something like this one. Definitely not a HorsepowerTV weekend warrior swap thats for sure!!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

This point I'm trying to find somebody to sell me the software, I am a tuner. I also build transmissions and it's not the 5 HP24 to 6 HP but the good trainees coming as long as you got a good aftermarket a-drum there pretty strong. One thing I need to find out is the front and we're differentials if their electronic possi I think each front and rear differential's electronically controlled and is able to lock into a full or partial posi.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 2005 BMW X5 4.8IS??