Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep YJ with a 5.3 needs Air Conditioning need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep YJ with a 5.3 needs Air Conditioning need suggestions.

I've been driving my 5.3 YJ for a few thousand miles now and love it. The only thing I could ask for is AC for those hot rainy summer days and figured that since I have all winter to do it, I'd install AC.

Considering I'm moving to Florida in a few months I want to get this done.

My Jeep never had AC but the 5.3 I have in it had an AC compressor that is sitting in the garage. So all I need are some hoses, an evaporator, a condensor, a drier, a fan and some ductwork.

Where do I start? Any one sell a complete kit that allows for swapped motors?

Thanks, Ken
Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Check out the street rod boys with a high mount AC compressor. Mega bucks for the "front runner" type systems but may be your best bet. Price to pay for movimg to FLA!

On my TJ there is no room for the compressor with stock engine mount. I just put the snow plow on mine. AC is the least of my worries.

How has the LS swap been working?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea up in Minnesota you won't be needing AC for at least 7 months. I almost relocated there back before the Great Recession began but could not deal with the cold.

I never really looked to see if the compressor would fit. Guess I should do that. For some reason I'm thinking the YJ frame rails are wider than the TJ so I might get lucky.

I've checked out a couple of websites like vintage air and so on but I always like to hear from the folks on this site because the knowledge base is so deep.

As far as the LS swap goes, it is still the best money I've ever spent on any vehicle I've ever had. More power than I'll ever need and yet docile enough that my wife will hop in and take it with out a second thought.

Have fun in the snow. Ken
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a universal kit from Classic Auto Air for my 72 442 swap. They substituted a lot of parts for my custom install and even give a great discount on the Kwik AC compressor bracket. Lots of tech help and it worked great as a DD all summer here, including 100 degree days.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think the low mount stock LS mount will work, let me know I have low mileage Fbody compressor and mount that I will make you a good deal on.

Jim
Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Teching In

I live in Arizona so AC is a must in my 98 TJ I never owned or even spent much time in a YJ but I think AC was an underdash system. You can get all the stuff you need to hang an underdash from Vintage Air, controls, plumbing, receiver/dryer condensor, etc. So far as compressor, we notched the frame on the passenger side and used the L92 stock compressor i its original location,k then integrated it with the original jeep AC. I think the YJ and TJ frames are very similar but I don't know the dimensions are the same and leaving it in the stock position won't work with a passenger side driveline drop. I've heard too many stories of problems with some relocations. I know Novak conversions makes a high passenger side mounted conversion that uses a different compressor. My AC works just fine.

John
Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AZSahara
I live in Arizona so AC is a must in my 98 TJ I never owned or even spent much time in a YJ but I think AC was an underdash system. You can get all the stuff you need to hang an underdash from Vintage Air, controls, plumbing, receiver/dryer condensor, etc. So far as compressor, we notched the frame on the passenger side and used the L92 stock compressor i its original location,k then integrated it with the original jeep AC. I think the YJ and TJ frames are very similar but I don't know the dimensions are the same and leaving it in the stock position won't work with a passenger side driveline drop. I've heard too many stories of problems with some relocations. I know Novak conversions makes a high passenger side mounted conversion that uses a different compressor. My AC works just fine.

John
Hi John,

I have been trying to get my jeep Ac to work is a 99 cherokee very similar to the TJ but I just have not had any luck. How did you guys integrated the ac to the swap? What kind of wiring was done? Any details will be appreciated. I have tried my ac wiring by wiring like the Ls trucks, wiring the relay by the jeep wiring and the compressor does not engage.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by XjLQ9
Hi John,

I have been trying to get my jeep Ac to work is a 99 cherokee very similar to the TJ but I just have not had any luck. How did you guys integrated the ac to the swap? What kind of wiring was done? Any details will be appreciated. I have tried my ac wiring by wiring like the Ls trucks, wiring the relay by the jeep wiring and the compressor does not engage.
John hasn't been here for over 7 years. Look at how old the post is.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
John hasn't been here for over 7 years. Look at how old the post is.
Oh ok, thanks, I figured I'd just post maybe someone can help as well. Anyways, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Jeep YJ with a 5.3 needs Air Conditioning need suggestions.