Sponsored by:

Garage Built AWD Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First, I like it!

Just as you know, haters gonna hate.

I was told years ago that converting a 2wd truck to 4wd was not only stupid, but would be extremely expensive.

What I realized, was 100% of those that gave these opinions did not know WTF they were talking about as they had never tried to do it.

I then wanted for the Suburban to have a removable top like the Big Blazers of the 80s. More haters. I still did both.

Will you fail, maybe, but what stems from failure is gross amounts of education and future success.

The only additional information I can add is hurry the F up!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,097 Posts

First of all, thank you for your service to this great nation. Your bravery inspires us all! I'm sure that during an average work week, you tackle more challenging technology than most of us can dream up. Having said that I was wondering if you are planning on a "rear sub-frame", or are you going to try and build mounts (to hold the engine and rear suspension components) off of the existing sub-structure?
I also have contemplated doing a build like this one with a C5 corvette, and considering all of the engineering involved, designed a chromoly tube chassis on paper, but never had the finances to pull the trigger. The complete chassis route seemed more logical to me. Not giving my opinion here, just chatting with you. Don't let the nay Sayers knock the wind out of your sails. It's guys like you that make this monkey see, monkey do world of hot rods go around! Go ahead, dare to be different!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by iamandrewryan
yeah irs needs to be part of it. irs would prevent the rear driveshaft from smashing the bottom of the oil pan. most truck front ends would do nicely flipped with the partial solid axle making the half shafts equal in length.
Based on his picture of the engine/trans/t-case the front output will be on the passenger side which means that flipping the front diff would make the "partial solid axle" on the wrong side. The only way I could see using the front differential is to have the front output of the t-case on the drivers side. Also if he used a front 8.8 from a F150\expedition, he could swap in some 8.8 rear end gears so they would be cut the right direction for lubrication.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
What I realized, was 100% of those that gave these (negative) opinions did not know WTF they were talking about as they had never tried to do it...

...Will you fail, maybe, but what stems from failure is gross amounts of education and future success.
Exactly.

I admire your courage. Attempting to do something everyone tells you that you are completely nuts for reminds me of... me.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

I think the negative comments on this thread come from people who have done some sort of LS swap. The guys that are saying well done for attempting it, thats fine but ask the OP what is his swap going to do??? Yes he can do what he likes but it as been posted on a Forum so expect comments good or bad. I look at swaps on this site, yes I understand the LS swap into a 996 AWD, I understand a LS into a Nissan. I can see that the cars performance and other aspects are improved by these swaps. This swap I can't see the improvement over a 4th Gen Camaro fitted with a standard LS engine.

So shout out all the guys that thinks this swap will be and improvement over a standard 4th Gen.

I think the negative comments are people just using there rite of freedom of speech. Saying they don't know what they are talking about is wrong, I'll stick my build thread up explain planning, what improvements my swap will make and also in the planning how I was able to strip a project and get it to a rolling chassis in 5 weeks. Just because I don't agree with a build, doesn't make me not know anything about building cars........

Last edited by Thomo5150; 01-23-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomo5150
I think the negative comments are people just using there rite of freedom of speech. Saying they don't know what they are talking about is wrong, I'll stick my build thread up explain planning, what improvements my swap will make and also in the planning how I was able to strip a project and get it to a rolling chassis in 5 weeks. Just because I don't agree with a build, doesn't make me not know anything about building cars........
I agree with freedom of speech however I guess what I was trying to say with my original quote is more like "don't knock the guy in a negative fashion for trying something you think is crazy." There are ways to give constructive criticism and ways to be a jerk about it.

I've been this guy and pulled the rabbit out of the hat several times, but I've also failed - and learned. If I think he can pull it off successfully is immaterial because the learning experience if used properly, can be more valuable than the success or failure of one project. What is material is this guy is trying his best to live his dream.

I'd love to see it your project.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed. Thread has epic potential imo
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intimidator02SS
Good luck! I've never heard of an AWD camaro before. That thing will be sweet when you get it finished!

I saw your pictures of the yarn where the bracing will get welded in and I have a question. If you'd have to service the engine/transmission later would it fit through the rear hatch or would it drop out from the bottom? I assume the bracing would get welded in but I guess they could be bolted in. Then again I would imagine feeding that thing through the door into the back would be a bear as well. Your project has my curiousity peaked.
I'm looking to do the frame work into 3 modules. The front diff with suspension, the rear diff with suspension, and the engine/tranny/t-case. I figure the engine won't be coming out very often since I'm not going nuclear with the power output. I do expect I'll spend some time tuning the suspension until I get a set-up that feels right, so the easier this come apart the better.

xb9rumble
Curious why you are not going for a 8.8 solid rear axle. Is IRS part of the big plan?
Engine placement was the biggest reason, but I do admit I am found of IRS. Had a good experience with a C3 vette I used to own.

Che70velle
First of all, thank you for your service to this great nation. Your bravery inspires us all! I'm sure that during an average work week, you tackle more challenging technology than most of us can dream up. Having said that I was wondering if you are planning on a "rear sub-frame", or are you going to try and build mounts (to hold the engine and rear suspension components) off of the existing sub-structure?
Thank you for your support. It's a tough job most days, and I do it simply to serve my country. Freedom was never free....

And yes, the backbone I am building will be tied directly into the existing unibody structure. I only plan on cutting out enough of the floor to make everything fit, and most of the floor is just folds in the metal. Replace that with square tubing structure, and it will be more rigid that it was. The new trans tunnel and firewall will also add a good deal of strength to the structure.

btw, I'll be in California for the month of february with my unit. No internet access, so I will be afk for a bit. Will be posting again when I get back at it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck to you! I am stationed at FT Campbell and its neat to think someone is doing something like this around here!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I agree with freedom of speech however I guess what I was trying to say with my original quote is more like "don't knock the guy in a negative fashion for trying something you think is crazy." There are ways to give constructive criticism and ways to be a jerk about it.

I've been this guy and pulled the rabbit out of the hat several times, but I've also failed - and learned. If I think he can pull it off successfully is immaterial because the learning experience if used properly, can be more valuable than the success or failure of one project. What is material is this guy is trying his best to live his dream.

I'd love to see it your project.
My project is here to see, feel free.

One better would you like the answer to can a AWD Camaro be built???

Would you like to see a concept on how???

So we all sit back and watch a guy waste years and money to then say I told you so, I don't think im being a jerk. Too many answers in this project that haven't got the basic engineering covered. Ask yourself when the LS engine is mounted what will the CG be???

example my project a Cleveland came out of an F100 and a lite LS1 went in. The CG, where is it??? Study the photo's then show me where the CG of the LS will be in this Camaro when the motor is mounted in the back. Then compare the CG to the LS engine mounted in the factory postion in the Camaro.

Go to the LS1 banner at the top of the page look at the 4 cars in it, can an AWD Camaro be build for $20,000??? The answer is staring you in the face.......
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think he is going for a real world concept car lol. I think he is just going for a fun do it yourself car that doesn't need to be perfect.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

I'm just a simple truck driver, but trust me if I was spending $20,000 dollars I would want to improve the car I am building not make it worse, sorry I cant see any benifit in the concept of this car which makes it better than an original 4th Gen LS engined Camaro......

I'll leave it at that and wish the builder luck in what he is doing....
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Thomo5150
I'm just a simple truck driver, but trust me if I was spending $20,000 dollars I would want to improve the car I am building not make it worse, sorry I cant see any benifit in the concept of this car which makes it better than an original 4th Gen LS engined Camaro......

I'll leave it at that and wish the builder luck in what he is doing....
You're dead on here, it would be pretty hard to improve over a 4th gen LS engined Camaro. Improvement isn't the point of my project, building something unique and cool is. This is my Hotrod

btw, my Camaro pulled into the garage as a 3.4L V-6 5 spd that I picked up for next to nothing. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel concerning 4th gen performance. Anything I do to it from here on will definetly be an improvement
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon

btw, my Camaro pulled into the garage as a 3.4L V-6 5 spd that I picked up for next to nothing. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel concerning 4th gen performance.
Do you still have the engine/trans, or is it long gone?

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kenova
Do you still have the engine/trans, or is it long gone?

Ken
Engine sold 5 months back. Still have the 5spd. It always did slip out of 5th and reverse, so it will need a rebuild. Good core for a Pro 5.0 build, it is a WC T-5.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Teching In

anything is possible, You should really get the AWD trans from a 06 trailblazer to minimize the trouble of fitting your older trans. you will also need the oil pan and differential assembly of of a trailblazer 06 ss. im building the same project except in a 1968 camaro with a t56 out of a 2005 corvette modified to fit the transfer case from the Cadillac SRS. the hardest part of the build will be trying to fit the front axle to work with the stock spindles

Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Luck with this, anything is possible ... anything. All you need is Time and Money.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

holy crap man good luck cant wait to see the result
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by senor_camaro
the hardest part of the build will be trying to fit the front axle to work with the stock spindles
IIRC the trail blazer and 4wd S-10's use the same outer splines on the shafts. stretching this logic, you can get an S-10 knuckle to fit on a F-Body LCA.

So, providing that the track width isn't vastly different, then it "should" work with stock shafts.

This is only theory however!

Quick Reply: Garage Built AWD Camaro