Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Built AWD Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some wild **** going on in here. Subscribed. Good luck with the project.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting, good luck with the build, and keep the pics coming
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Interested in seeing how this turns out. Keep up the work.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Good Luck, I hope to see this finished. If I was you I'd start out with a Fiero.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is crazy. Good luck to you man, I'll be watching this thread for sure
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Just got back from Fort Irwin, and I am still cleaning the sand out of my gear. Thought I would post afew pics from the trip...

Here's my ride out there, a russian AN-124 moved all 24 helicopters out there in 6 loads..

Name:  P1270021.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  49.6 KB
Name:  P1270025.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  99.6 KB
Name:  P1270017.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  73.8 KB

One of the projects we knocked out, a transverse beam replacement. Involves a special purpose jig and drill kit to install.

Name:  P1310029.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  146.9 KB

And of course, a picture of my office while I was out there.

Name:  P2240035.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  156.9 KB
Name:  P2240039.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  112.4 KB

Ended up working alot harder than I thought I would out there, so I will very slow to post new project progress.... Like sometime this spring. Taking a break to rest and save a bit.

Just glad to be back home
Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Subbed.
Great project, very ambitious. Good Luck.
I am looking forward to see how things go!
Good for you thinking outside the box too. I love seeing new ideas!!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

amazing.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I think you've misunderstood what "reverse rotation" axles mean. They don't change the direction of how the axle turns. This is for high pinion versus low pinion differentials. The driveshaft always spins the same way.
When offroaders build rear engine cars, we flip the differentials upside down. This is most effective with a Ford 9" because you can just flip the center section, not the whole assembly.

As for using a transfer case, some models can be run in FWD high. It's just a matter of the shift rail stops. This applies to only the gear-driven cases.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

sub'ing
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

This is awesome. Don't let anyone bring you down from doing it. Respect to you!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Awesome pics!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dan58
I think you've misunderstood what "reverse rotation" axles mean. They don't change the direction of how the axle turns. This is for high pinion versus low pinion differentials. The driveshaft always spins the same way.
When offroaders build rear engine cars, we flip the differentials upside down. This is most effective with a Ford 9" because you can just flip the center section, not the whole assembly.
Darn, I think you're right. Only leaves me 2 options....

(1) run but diffs upside-down and the transverse case as well. Not a bad option since for the t-case this just means flipping before the install. Running ford 9" front and back makes the most sense with this issue, but running and offset diff for the rear will require some thought.

(2) use gears I have lying around from some T-5 transmissions and make a custom reverse gearbox to mount between the 4L-80E and BW4472. Requires more thought, but I would have to buy an adapter to make the 2 bolt togather anyway.

Not gonna let this stop the project, but definetly a hurdle to overcome. Thanks for the catch, I did misunderstand that.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

As for using a transfer case, some models can be run in FWD high. It's just a matter of the shift rail stops. This applies to only the gear-driven cases.
Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Darn, I think you're right. Only leaves me 2 options....

(1) run but diffs upside-down and the transverse case as well. Not a bad option since for the t-case this just means flipping before the install. Running ford 9" front and back makes the most sense with this issue, but running and offset diff for the rear will require some thought.

(2) use gears I have lying around from some T-5 transmissions and make a custom reverse gearbox to mount between the 4L-80E and BW4472. Requires more thought, but I would have to buy an adapter to make the 2 bolt togather anyway.

Not gonna let this stop the project, but definetly a hurdle to overcome. Thanks for the catch, I did misunderstand that.

See, Now things like this are why I love this site.

Also, Welcome Back Stateside
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I'll help you out, because I want to see this done. Contact Milner Offroad. They make a reversing box with a open/lockable center diff its pricey,but not too bad at 1400 pounds plus vat in pounds.

If I was you I'd run a mustang 8.8 irs and and f150 8.8 ifs. This is what I plan on doing with my Fiero/ an ecoboost v6. The only downside is the reversing box has straight cut gears so it will be noisy. I want a GTR killer.

If you don't care about using a manual transmission you could even do a Duramax swap. I would if I had the space. 600hp 1200ft-lbs easy.

Additionally, I'd get some wolfe racecraft thru-the-floor subframe connectors.

Last edited by OmniRex; 03-06-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OmniRex
I'll help you out, because I want to see this done. Contact Milner Offroad. They make a reversing box with a open/lockable center diff its pricey,but not too bad at 1400 pounds plus vat in pounds.

If I was you I'd run a mustang 8.8 irs and and f150 8.8 ifs. This is what I plan on doing with my Fiero/ an ecoboost v6. The only downside is the reversing box has straight cut gears so it will be noisy. I want a GTR killer.

I hadn't found this t-case yet searching around for a solution, Gonna add it to my short list of possible fixes to my problem.

dan58 has me thinking about another possible solution with this...
Using this train of thought I may make the rear axle a solid ford 9" with a custom offset carrier housing and axles to match the offset of the transfer case.

Either way, I'm dead set on working past this. Consider this the 1st official speed bump in the build. With all the things "outside the norm" I'm attempting on this build, I knew I would hit one eventually
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Using this train of thought I may make the rear axle a solid ford 9" with a custom offset carrier housing and axles to match the offset of the transfer case.
This is a great solution. The offroad world IS all about custom axles. One excellent builder of the Ford 9" fabricated housing is Dan Frederickson at RSS:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/FORD9.html

You tell him what you want, they build it on a jig to ensure it's straight at true. Add third member and axle shafts. Voila.

More food for thought...
This does give you a high pinion in the rear of the car
If you want a low pinion, Currie will sell you a high pinion center section (that you are flipping upside down anyway).
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...inrearend.aspx

And it you are dead set on lightening your wallet:
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...e.aspx?id=1364
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

First - thank you for serving our great country.

As I was reading this thread I kept thinking that this is the very definition of Hot Rodding. Wanting to do something different and doing it yourself. I congratulate you.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Got another question about the cv axles for this product...

And it you are dead set on lightening your wallet:
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...e.aspx?id=1364
It says that one IRS carrier is for FOR SERIES 30 CV'S, and one is set up for 934 CV'S. What production modles do these cv's work with? That will help me figure out which spindles I need, and what brake and wheel options I have to work with.

For the rear end I have a thought for the suspension set-up with an offset solid 9"..... Reuse the existing lower control arms, spring and shock, and rear axle tie rod locations with adjustable aftermarket components. And since I can't run the centrally mounted torque are through the center of the camaro (with the engine, tranny, and t-case being in the way) I can just run 2 of the shorter drag race style torque arms. One on each side of the engine.

I think this approach will be simpler to apply to the build, and I don't think 2 torque arms will effect the "feel" of an otherwise stock rear suspension set-up. Plus the reduced over all cost of a stock suspension verus the custom IRS I had origionally planned should help off set some the cost of having to upgrade to ford 9" carriers front and rear to resolve my drivetrain issue.

And all it really does to the drivetrain itself is force me to mount the engine 3-5" higher in the car..... I think I can live with that. Custom ford 9"s front and back is the way I'm gonna go. IFS front, solid rear.

And to save some $$$, I think I'll build the rear axle housing myself
Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thomo5150
I'm just a simple truck driver, but trust me if I was spending $20,000 dollars I would want to improve the car I am building not make it worse, sorry I cant see any benifit in the concept of this car which makes it better than an original 4th Gen LS engined Camaro......

I'll leave it at that and wish the builder luck in what he is doing....
An aussie saying your crazy means your on to something. Looking forward to seeing progress on this.

Quick Reply: Garage Built AWD Camaro