Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012 | 10:44 PM
Teching In

Bueller?
Old 04-07-2012 | 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dan58
Bueller?
Still here, just taking a break. The DD needed some attention.
Old 04-07-2012 | 12:53 PM
Teching In

OP,
We must be distant relatives, lol. It seems that every project that I do has some sort of unorthodox element to it. Somehow, I always pull it off. Never give up.... and keep tearing through the envelope of what most guys consider "do-able".
Old 04-23-2012 | 07:48 PM

Any updates? I have been watching this for a while, still pretty excited about it.
Old 04-23-2012 | 08:34 PM
On The Tree

someone else posted that they didnt wanna sound harsh. well i could care less if i sound harsh this is a dumb ******* project just scrap it and save ur self some wasted time
Old 04-23-2012 | 10:00 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

No, that didn't sound harsh at all...
Old 04-23-2012 | 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Not much to update at this time, most of my spare time is spent catching up with work. New promotion = new admin duties

I've mostly spent the time I have had gathering up the tools I need for the fab work. Got one heck of a deal on this.....

Name:  P4230013.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  137.7 KB

Some rust removal may be required.

To be honest, with my unit in pre-deployment mode and going back over there later this summer...... It's just hard to find the time right now. Good news is every month I don't work on it, it's just that much more $$$ to burn when I finally get back at it.

Said on post #1 this was gonna be a long-term project, Patience.
Old 04-23-2012 | 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems that people get their fun from different things. Some people like to end up with something they can show off. Some like to end up with something better than what the factory did. Some people just like doing something different for the challenge.

I get tired of people asking me why I want to do something a certain way when it would be "easier" another way. I finally gave up on explaining that some times I just want things the way I want them on my project.

I hope you pull it off, but if not, I understand you're having fun with your hobby.

In all seriousness, not that I think you would be, but don't be discouraged by people who don't understand the point.
Old 04-23-2012 | 10:46 PM
Teching In

Epic project.

I look forward to 5 years from now, when I have completely forgotten about this thread. One day, i'll remember it and check in. Can't wait to see what becomes of it!
Old 06-10-2012 | 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is it that people bashing projects never seem to be able to spell, use capital letters or grasp the intricacies of punctuating their sentences? I realize schools are bad these days but come on, at least pretend you realize someone is going to accidentally read this stuff.

Anyway, where did you find that tool you bought? Is a shop closing down somewhere around here? I'd love to get an English wheel.
Old 06-11-2012 | 04:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Anyway, where did you find that tool you bought? Is a shop closing down somewhere around here? I'd love to get an English wheel.
I just happened to spot it rusting in the corner of a shed. I had been there to look at some Ford 9 Inch axles, and ended up buying that instead. Best $50 I spent all year.

No progress to report on my build, I've spent most of my weekends working on my house instead. Putting in hardwood floors takes some time. I'll be in Afghanistan again by August, so it looks like 2012 is a year I will mostly just save $$$ for future wrench time in the garage.

I did finally decide what to do about my front suspension. A complete front sub-frame from an AWD Cadillac CTS or SRX will be the easiest way to go. It has good brakes already with options to upgrade, and good suspension. All I have to to is mount it level to the unibody, and build mounts for the suspension. Then a Ford 9 Inch for a new Camaro with some custom axles, and it's ready to rock.

Thats all the issues for the car figured out, just gotta get around to building it
Old 06-11-2012 | 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Have you thought about how your going to control abs on the four wheels? There is some good info on the net about how mark steilow adapted abs onto his LS powered hotrods
Old 06-12-2012 | 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Have you thought about how your going to control abs on the four wheels? There is some good info on the net about how mark steilow adapted abs onto his LS powered hotrods
If ABS goes back in, the 3 channel system the car came with would be the way I would go. All it needs to work is a reference signal for the 2 front wheels, and a signal from the rear axle. The CTS front clip would come with sensors and getting the sensor signal from the rear is not any harder to add to the build considering my rear end housing will already be a custom job for the off-set carrier.

I say if, because I'm currently planning on leaving it out. ABS is nice, but I've had cars without it more often than cars with. No ABS is not an issue for me.
Old 06-12-2012 | 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Looks to be a cool project. You have more composure than most for sure . I would expect some of the feedback if you asked "what do you think of this" . Im gonna build a shop before i venture into anything else. I plan on a 53 ****** overland wagon on an awd chassis with something a bit retarded under the hood. Subscribed! Cant wait to see it done.
Old 06-13-2012 | 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I like reading about projects like this, who says a build has to fit a "norm"

Things take time and people have lives outside of their car hobby. Hell i've been piecing my Camaro back together for 12 years and it now has more parts off of it than in/on it LOL.

Good luck with the build and good luck in the Suck come August.
Old 06-13-2012 | 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing...
I saw the "stop now" post...I love naysayers, don't you.
Can wait to see continued progress.
Old 08-15-2012 | 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any Updates?
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bamaballa205
Any Updates?
Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
I just happened to spot it rusting in the corner of a shed. I had been there to look at some Ford 9 Inch axles, and ended up buying that instead. Best $50 I spent all year.

No progress to report on my build, I've spent most of my weekends working on my house instead. Putting in hardwood floors takes some time. I'll be in Afghanistan again by August, so it looks like 2012 is a year I will mostly just save $$$ for future wrench time in the garage.I did finally decide what to do about my front suspension. A complete front sub-frame from an AWD Cadillac CTS or SRX will be the easiest way to go. It has good brakes already with options to upgrade, and good suspension. All I have to to is mount it level to the unibody, and build mounts for the suspension. Then a Ford 9 Inch for a new Camaro with some custom axles, and it's ready to rock.

Thats all the issues for the car figured out, just gotta get around to building it
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:24 AM
On The Tree

LOL, yup. LILHEMI quoted it best...... I'm deployed right now. 'Till spring 2013 all I'll be up to is serving my country, saving for the project, and surfing the threads on LS1TECH.

I'd like to thank the MWR for my continued internet access
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOL totally missed that part searching through old threads trying to stay woke at work. Good Luck in Afg & make it back safe. Have a few family members over there myself. Hopefully I won't ever see that side of the world during my time in.

Quick Reply: Garage Built AWD Camaro