Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project BIG BLACK lsx jeep

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project BIG BLACK lsx jeep

Hello. I figure it's time to update fellow offroaders on my progress.

Big Black started life as a 88 jeep wrangler with 4.2 5 speed and I have over the years installed 2.5" springs, 2" shackles and 1.5" body lift with 35" tires. I wheeled the dog out of it but the age has slowly gotten to it. Everything needed rebuilt.

Well I decided to rebuild it. But I went a little overboard.

Now. I decided instead of jacking with the 4.2 or rebuilding the stock axles, that I wanted full width and more power.

I originally had planned on swapping a 4.3 auto but quickly decided to go v8. While saving up i slowly talked myself into more and more.

Decided on a SOA setup on a set of 10 bolt/12 bolt axles I had from a 80 Chevy. Yes it's tall.

Now for the motor. I found a late lq4 worth the money that needed some work, tore it apart and rebuilt it. Milled the heads 30 and put it together with a smallish 226/229 on 114 cam. Found a good deal on a new edelbrock dual quad intake and carbs.

I shaved the valve covers and added some paint and polished others.

I ordered up some advance adaptors mounts and headers and when they came in I cleaned the headers and painted them with ceramic paint.

I purchased new parts to mate my granny 4 speed to the lq4. It required a pilot bearing from a 2000 Chevy 1500 with 4.3 and 5 speed. Flywheel from 2003 he truck with 6.0 manual tranny, A throw out bearing from a 67 Buick, and pressure plate/disk from 70's 1 ton 454.

I ordered the Novak hyd slave kit also.

Now to install.

I got a really good deal on some wheels and tires, the wheels are what I always wanted and tires were free. They are 39.5x18 boggers. I really like them. I plan on running them for a while to see if I like it being that big and then buying new. I am 6'2 in my work boots just to show the height.

I just recently located a ford np205 transfer case and I'm going to pick it up cheap so i can swap out the output shaft that way I can have a cv shaft in the rear. Contacted a drivetrain shop and can get driveshafts with cv jointa for decent money.

I finished the mounts for my 24x19 griffin radiator yesterday. Just need to install crank pully, starter, hook up wiring, get coolant hoses, and other small things!

Just received my universal plug wires, msd box, and fuel pump yesterday. Also finished my transfer case mount yesterday.

Another thing that happened yesterday, this skinny little cut off wheel on my grinder got an attitude and talked some smack, I proceeded to try and kick its ***. Well it didn't work and it cut my left index finger half off and severed the tendons across the top of the finger. Put me in er for hours and got stiches. Now have to have surgery!

Found out its only going to cost 80 bucks for all new brake lines to be made!

It's really close now!

I don't have much local for rock crawling so that's why i stuck with half ton axles. I will mostly be street driven and trails and the occasional mud bog or muddy back road or plowed field. Mainly mud. That's the reason for big lift and big horsepower.

Last edited by back in black; 02-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Sorry for the size of the pics I didn't know they were that size
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

You cut your finger off with a cutoff wheel? YIKES !! I've gotten plenty of gashes from them but nothing that severe. Any cut from one of those is almost guaranteed infection. Hope you are healing OK.

Just curious as to why dual quads? Looks nice but seems more street rod than bogger. Personally, I'd keep those tires, perfect size and clearance. Love the wheels too.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Well i Go next friday for surgery to repair the tendons and nerves. Gonna suck.

I have Multiple reasons for the dual carb setup.

One is cause it looks down right awesome, another is I couldn't find a decent price on a single setup, another is that I got this whole setup really really cheap from a member on here.

I will be doing tons of street driving, so the dual 500 cfm carbs and progressive linkage will give me a lot better gas mileage and better part throttle drivability then a single larger carb. And the edelbrocks do better in offroad situations.

I am kinda going for that 80's monster truck theme with the dual carbs lol
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Well got more parts in.

Got filter in and mounted coils on firewall behind motor. Have red custom plug wires to run.

Last edited by back in black; 02-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I got out today and got new brake lines made and installed them.

I also installed the msd box, spark plugs, built my custom plug wires and did some other stuff. I still have a lot of stuff to do and still need to finish up the underhood wiring.

Last edited by back in black; 02-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Once again sorry about the size
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Not many opinions yet, I'm doing all this on my iPhone so I can't tell just how big the pics are. Sorry all.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great swap man, but yeah...those pics are enormous.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Fixed
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is bad ***.
Lookin forward to this build

Subd
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Thank god more 4x4 are popping up in here...

Nice build, you're gonna LOVE the baggers. I could walk anywhere with mine.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks a lot. It's been a lot of fun building it. All except for my finger
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by back in black
Thanks a lot. It's been a lot of fun building it. All except for my finger
I gotta ask. What happened to your finger?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Had a 3/32" cut off wheel on my grinder and it bound up. Jerked around in my hands and cut across the top of my left pointer finger. Hit the bone and cut the tendons and nerves that move my finger. Got 5 stitches and have surgery this Friday. Also got fired because of it.

Happened on my time at home and I'm a tig pipe welder, I need all my fingers working. Boss was a dick and stuck it to me.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks cool. What headers are you running? I can't get a good sense from the pics if they are short, mid, or long tubes.

I will be starting a build thread in a few weeks on my 1969 CJ6, its getting an LS3 and AWD (BW4472) drivetrain, and a stretched TJ chassis. Street sleeper/hot rod setup. I want to run long tubes, but finding anything that fits a Jeep is difficult.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Looks really good. I think you'll be surprised with the torque off idle compared to what you had. You said granny 4 speed, so I'm assuming SM465?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by back in black
Had a 3/32" cut off wheel on my grinder and it bound up. Jerked around in my hands and cut across the top of my left pointer finger. Hit the bone and cut the tendons and nerves that move my finger. Got 5 stitches and have surgery this Friday. Also got fired because of it.

Happened on my time at home and I'm a tig pipe welder, I need all my fingers working. Boss was a dick and stuck it to me.
****, I'm sorry to hear man. Thats terrible. Your boss sounds like a complete ***.

Tig pipe welder, very nice. I'm trying to get a date set for my 6G, the time they have available never works with my schedule.

Good luck with everything, I hope everything works out for you.
I'll be keeping my eye on this build to
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks. Yes it's a Sm465. And I'm using advance adaptors shorty headers.

Pipe welding is ok if you can get paid. No one wants to pay for your skill around here.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Figured I would post up some progress of big black.

well its been on the road for a few weeks now.

the granny 4 speed with 3.08 gears along with 44" tires isnt all that bad.

will drive around no problem in 2hi, and 4 low is low enough to climb anything.

i keep breaking ujoint straps on the rear 12 bolt but i just got a killer deal on some chebby 3/4 ton axles with 4.10s.

luckily my steering knuckle, and new hubs will work on the Dana 44.

One bad but good thing is its going to be 8 lug now. So I ordered a new set of black 15x14 Bart supertrucker wheels in 8 lug!!

yay!!

the 6.0 is more then enough to rip any mud you point it towards. the tq arm setup i built is working fantasticly and makes the jeep really predictable under throttle. i think it pulls the left front full throttle from a slow roll on pavement, if it dont spin the 44s.

here is a pic of my wife and i cruizing 60mph on hwy 75 headed home one night. it drives better with the 44s then it did with the 35s.

zombie hunting license

zombie hunting license

new seats. so comfy

new sticker

my 5 foot tall wife

exhaust

the jeep will be down for a while untill i get the new axles installed, but i will start keeping this updated.

Quick Reply: Project BIG BLACK lsx jeep