Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 Clutch master cylinder swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Clutch master cylinder swap problem

I'm having trouble with the angle of my master cylinder. While the short throw of the clutch might be nice for racing--certainly wouldn't be nice for drivability. I'm really trying to get another opinion on this before I cut up my firewall again to change the angle. Can someone that has completed a swap comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Video of issue: http://youtu.be/OdT02Efc8Mw
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Other side.
Attached Thumbnails T56 Clutch master cylinder swap problem-img_0071.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I had to beat the Fire Wall in my Monte Carlo SS to the point to where it was perfectly flat and striaght like a F-body would be...that was to use the Pedal that I made work tho..might be different in this case for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Merv, thanks for the reply man.. what is the travel distance of your pedal foot pad? This is on a 69 camaro and there are tons of templates out there, but they all vary.. even the pre-bent brackets seem to range in angle which changes everything. Do you if the angle change in my master cylinder shaft would ruin the cylinder over time?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Teching In

I am hopefully in the middle of finishing up my ls1/t56 swap in my 69 Camaro. I purchased the ATS firewall plate and also their parts to shorten my clutch master pushrod. This also made it adjustable. I got the clutch and brake pedal from classic industries and am using the upper hole in the clutch pedal to attach the push rod to. The angle looks good with no binding. There is some play in the clutch master push rod but you want it as straight as possible. With a conversion it is hard to get everything perfect.

The pushrod only goes into the clutch master about 15/16", very short throw, I am probably going to have to limit clutch pedal travel. When the clutch master bottoms out I still have plenty of room between the pedal and the floor so I don't want to force the push rod into the master anymore than it needs to. Hope this helps...I might be able to post pics if interested
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Sorry... posted before watching your video. Look at the ATS clutch master, it has a pivot ball on it that would fix your problem. As the pedal moves the pushrod angle does not change on the ATS setup. Your angle is changing as you press the pedal...basically the push rod will float on the clutch pedal. I think I paid $25 and it took about twenty minutes, you cut off your pushrod end and weld theirs on.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by barryp
Merv, thanks for the reply man.. what is the travel distance of your pedal foot pad? This is on a 69 camaro and there are tons of templates out there, but they all vary.. even the pre-bent brackets seem to range in angle which changes everything. Do you if the angle change in my master cylinder shaft would ruin the cylinder over time?
I dont kno if it would run it, but I bet you arent getting maximum movement.

I dont have a measurement, but I used a pedal from a 1991 Camaro and got it aligned to where it functions perfectly. I didnt have any templete, just made a hole and made it work..the MCSS never came factory as a standard..none that were sold to the US anyways.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barryp
I'm having trouble with the angle of my master cylinder. While the short throw of the clutch might be nice for racing--certainly wouldn't be nice for drivability. I'm really trying to get another opinion on this before I cut up my firewall again to change the angle. Can someone that has completed a swap comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Video of issue: http://youtu.be/OdT02Efc8Mw
you need to move the clutch rod up on the clutch pedal to get more room out of it
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Yea, I'm going change the angle of the cylinder. I'm glad I didn't already spray the firewall.

Quick Reply: T56 Clutch master cylinder swap problem