Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t56 crossmember question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 crossmember question

Guys, I mocked up my motor yesterday and the only problem I am having is that the transmission crossmember seems to be to far back. I have it adjusted as far forward as I can get it and it looks like it is about 1" shy. I actually think the crossmember is to far forward now as I have it (I would have to drill 2 holes for some of the mounting bolts). The car is a 67 camaro with an LS2/t56. I have s&p plates and american powertrain crossmember bought as a package together (so I would not have this problem). Anyone have pics of their crossmember. This seems to have a forward reach instead of being straight across the subframe. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Funny... I just picked up the same crossmember and was worried that with my 1" setback motor mounts it would be too far back for the crossmember but infact I have the crossmember as far forward was it would physically go... even then it just barely fit.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Default X Factor T56 Crossmember

I had the same issue with the American Powertrain X-Factor crossmember. I have a 69 camaro with the "stock location" motor mounts. I was told by Matt before I ordered it that it would work with those mounts. When I received it, my transmission mount landed in front of the crossmemberwhen it was in the most forward location? I would have needed to move my engine back 1.5" or more to make it work, but then the back of my motor would be touching the firewall. I called American Powertrain about this and they told me I needed a "extension tab" to connect the mount to the crossmember. Thats when I had them send me a Return Authorization. I think it should fit better than that for $300.00+.

I ended up just making my own. I bought a universal 6" drop tubular crossmember from Speedway Motors for $60. Took a little cutting and welding and 5 hours of my life, but it turned out great!

Not quite finished in this pic...
Attached Thumbnails t56 crossmember question-crossmember1.jpg  

Last edited by Regal454; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply, That is the exact issue I am having. I finally got someone on the phone yesterday and they have me checking a few things. He said the only problems he sees that it could be is an aftermarket sub, or the trans is not a t 56 mag, which are both untrue. I am in the process of sending them pics. Thanks again
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Looks like they are now including the "extension tab" with it now. The pic on their website now shows it.
Attached Thumbnails t56 crossmember question-xfactor.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes I saw that on their website when I was looking for their phone number yesterday. I thought maybe they shipped the wrong one to me. I really don't know how strong that is going to be or if the additional 1/2" will affect anything. Thanks again guys!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you used the standard S&P Plates, that would generally place the engine rear flange 1" ahead of the stock location of the Transmission Flange. and if you move the trans forward to meet the engine. that might be where your missing the +1" of your mount to crossmemeber.. so.. depending on where your trans mount is. .it might be required to mod the cross member.

BC
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

I can't say anything better about American powertrains customer service, it has been great so far. The problem is the crossmember is made for a s/b motor. If you have a ls you need the extension bracket.

Quick Reply: t56 crossmember question