Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm looking for the best books...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm looking for the best books...

I would like some more in depth info on paper about JY LS swaps... Does anyone recommend anything for a newbie!???
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From another thread...

Originally Posted by superdave84
Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/GM-LS-Series-E.../dp/0760336091

It has ENDLESS information on LS swaps...what parts interchange, etc. Nice, clear color pictures too...not that black and white garbage.
I don't have the book above but looks like I might buy it. That amazon link will show several other good LS books, many of which I have.

It is interesting, read some of those books and you can almost find the ls1tech threads that they got the information from.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many books on the market now aday.. but two things about published books... 1) they become outdate very quickly in an moving market and technology. 2) books can be specific to one or a few area and I've never found one that is a great all round book for everything you need to know.

But I've had a few. Just pick up a few and look through them and if there is something you like or find interesting, buy it.... good luck

BC
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought these two -
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Both have a lot of good info but are generic enough that said info can be used across various projects. A 'swap guide' claiming to be a complete reference strikes me as being somewhat disingenuous, as it seems rather hard to compile that much info given all the variables. Wouldn't be surprised if someone just took notes while reading build threads here on ls1tech. Making an ls1tech-branded book might be a pretty cool idea now that I think about it.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Yea I just got one book any I have already seen quotes and references about LS1Tech!!! Wild.... An LS1tech book probably be better than them all..
Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to look into this book too.

Amazon Amazon

I hear its pretty good.

Are any of the books good for lets say a complete clueless person that wants to assemble a complete motor? Internals that is. I would like to get a bare block one day and attempt it.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Might want to look into this book too.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wir...d_bxgy_b_img_c

I hear its pretty good.

Are any of the books good for lets say a complete clueless person that wants to assemble a complete motor? Internals that is. I would like to get a bare block one day and attempt it.
Originally Posted by chuckd71
I bought these two - http://www.amazon.com/Modify-LS-Seri...ref=pd_sim_b_4

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Musc...ef=pd_sim_b_19

Both have a lot of good info but are generic enough that said info can be used across various projects. A 'swap guide' claiming to be a complete reference strikes me as being somewhat disingenuous, as it seems rather hard to compile that much info given all the variables. Wouldn't be surprised if someone just took notes while reading build threads here on ls1tech. Making an ls1tech-branded book might be a pretty cool idea now that I think about it.
I chose this book over that first one you mentioned...
Amazon Amazon

I like it pretty... Now I wonder what that one you mentioned has different in it.. I also just picked up that How to swap LS series engines into almost anything... I like it pretty good also.. I wish it spoke more on T56 transmissions tho, and the option of using an older TH400 with the LS swap..
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your looking to build and mod the Gen III/IV engine, pick one of the "How To build /
Modify" books, if needing swap info.. the pick the Books that are "Swap" related.

This one was pretty much the 1st book for the Gen III/IV engines..
Amazon Amazon

I know this one.
Amazon Amazon

Was put together by Shawn who owns the Retro-lsx.com site and did some work with BRP, marketed the Retro-lsx oil pan that is now Holley's. (The back cover of it has a picture of my engine Bay...)

They all pretty much have the same info, spec, pictures.. etc..

BC
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know one of the the How to build lsx block books have a few incorrect prints here and there. And I think maybe some slightly off torque specs too. There was a thread on this a while back just cant remember which book it was.

Quick Reply: I'm looking for the best books...