Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build thread- 1952 Chevy truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build thread- 1952 Chevy truck

I dragged this truck out of a field in July of 2010. Paid $400 for it with extra doors, hood, and tailgate, sold all of the parts I didn't need and scrapped what wasn't worth selling for $680.

So far I have torn it down completely, sand blasted the frame and added a Mustang II IFS up front, with a parallel 4 link in the rear Axle is a 7.5" 10 bolt from an S-10 with 3.42 gears (I am well aware this isn't the strongest rear end, but this is a driver, not a race car it was exactly the right width and already has disc brakes and a suitabel gear ratio)

It will be sitting on bags, with a side step ride height of 5inches, a max height of 9 inces, and will lay them flat.

Wheels are a 20" Eagle Alloys 8" in the front 10" in the rear. These were a PITA to get, and thier actual measurments are 8.5" front and 11.25 Rear. So the tires I ordered are a little too narrow, still trying to decide if it is worth swapping them out or just using them until they need replacing.

I also picked up a 70K mile L33 locally with all ther computers, harnesses, etc for $1000. Which was a steal where I'm at. Thnaks to the classifieds here it will be recieving a BBK SSI intake manifold, SVO Red top injectors and the Comp Cams XR275HR cam, which is supported with smoe Brian Tooley springs, retainers, locks, and push rods.

Power will be pushed through a rebuilt 4L60E, probably just going to do a corvette servo and a shift kit- otherwise it will remain stock.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nice Start!

Jmespe1, first off, welcome to LS1Tech!

Sounds like you got a steal on that truck! you MADE $280! I am looking to pick up a Chev truck of that gen to build into a nice cruiser/work truck but with a 4X4 system under it. Of course with an LS swap! Keep kickin aZZ!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was shocked when I found the deal. I had been seacrhing for a 54 but couldn't find and 50's chevys for under $2500 in rough shape nearby.

This belonged to a farmer who planned on rebuilding it with his brother. I had stopped by in 2008 asking about it and he declined to sell, I gave him my number just incase. Well His brother passed away in a car accident and he couldn't bear to even look at the truck. I was the first call he made. When I asked the price he replied "Oh I would take 4" I sadly replied "Oh I can't spend 4 thousand right now" he called me nuts and said $400. I was at his place with a trailer 30 minutes later. lol

I keep him updated with photos of the build- kinda hard because I know what route he had planned for it and its not the same as mine, but he cries everytime we speak and sends the photos on to his nephew.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Nice. 400$ and a title so you can daily drive it? Can't beat that at all.

I think it would look good if you left the exterior like that and build a rat rod out of it. Gonna paint it or what?

Sucks that the previous owner's brother died. Hopefully he'll get some sort of closure when you finish it.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

No title. But in Colorado if the vehicle is older than 1982 I can get a rebuilder's title with nothing more than a bill of sale and a state patrol inspection.

I plan on leaving the patina for a while- hopefully have it running by the end of the year. eventual plans are to podwercoat the frame, suspension and various engine components the origional navy blue color. The exterior will revieve a coat of lamborghini Balloon white with a flattened clear coat so it will have a pearl with a primer like look to it to bring some vintage back to it.

This is pretty close to the OEM Blue

And balloon white

This is similar to how the finished product will look. but a darker blue.... and on a truck.

Last edited by jmespe1; 08-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exclamation

You do know you have the rear axle in upside down, right? One speed forward, four speeds reverse?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Nice truck! I will be watching this one.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet baby Jesus!!!! You are right S10xGN!!! Glad you caught that, as I planned on finishing up the rear bags this weekend. The rear suspension has gotten the least amount of attention on the whole truck. Must have gotten flipped while rolling it around. Ha ha.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

That's a good set up for a paint job.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well the motor is at the machine shop and my garage looks like a NAPA with how many parts I have awaiting the block to return.

Dropped the PCM off with Clint at A.I.R. To get a basic tune on it for break in. Hoping to get some free time to get the motor all together and fit to the frame.

Some good news though, i got bored one day and while searching for parts for my 4l60e I realized i had the top bolt hole on my bellhousing, opened it up and it turns out that the 4l60e I purchased is actually a 4L65e. So that was good to find out.

If anyone has a good line for a fuel cell, brake booster, or radiator I still Need those items before I can get the truck up to Clint to dyno tune it.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Oh I also spent a few hours reworking the harness to exact lengths and got the PET sleeping on, that stuff is tricky. Wasted probably 4 feet of it with how much frayed before it go to its place. Finally figured out wrapping the end in electrical tape first helped keep the fray down..

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

I wish i could find an old truck like that to build but already have three projects the way it is. Will be watching this build thread and hope to maybe see it at the Golden Super Cruise next summer?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well I went to ASF Machine Shop here in Grand Junction to pick up my engine to find that the owner had been so busy working on his own car that he couldn't find time to do mine... It has been with him for 6 weeks for a simple Hot-tank and hone on the block. Also a quick hot tank for a few other various parts... To top it off I ask him what the total was going to be and he tells me $490 because "his time is valuable". For a wash and hone? WTF?

I took it all to another shop who is going to do it all plus polish the crank for $95. But this set me back quite a bit.

Current plans are to mock it all into the frame Nov 2nd/3rd. Then the frame goes to get finish welded at a buddie's shop, then to the driveline shop. So look-out for that update.

Really hoping to have it driving by the end of the year.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Valuable time"?! LOL! Apparently SO valuable he can't spare any for paying work! Glad you found a better shop!

That electrical sleeving look really nice. Where did you get it and what does it cost? I'm looking for an attractive and price effective wire wrap for my soon coming electrical work. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

I got it from cableorganizer.com it's flame retardant high temp. I spent about $50 for enough to do my entire harness including heat shrink. They also offer other colors. Before the sleeping I wrapped the wires in high temp dry vanilla tape I got off eBay for $15.

The trick is to lightly wrap electrical tape around it once you get it on the wires. I wasted a good 5 feet of it just cutting off the fray from pulling wires through without tape. Once I figured that trick out I didn't waste any.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmespe1
I got it from cableorganizer.com it's flame retardant high temp. I spent about $50 for enough to do my entire harness including heat shrink. They also offer other colors. Before the sleeping I wrapped the wires in high temp dry vanilla tape I got off eBay for $15.

The trick is to lightly wrap electrical tape around it once you get it on the wires. I wasted a good 5 feet of it just cutting off the fray from pulling wires through without tape. Once I figured that trick out I didn't waste any.
I went through a dozen different sleeves at that site and didn't see one that looked like yours, how about posting a direct link?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.cableorganizer.com/flame-retardant-sleeve/
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet looking project! do you have a link or information on what 4 link setup you have?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

It's actually a kit I bought from Full Tilt Street Rods here in Grand Junction. More than reasonably priced, I also used his mustang II kit. Here is his site. His name is Clay, really great to deal with.

http://fulltiltstreetrods.com/

Quick Reply: Build thread- 1952 Chevy truck