Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember Cash for Clunkers when you vote tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Remember Cash for Clunkers when you vote tomorrow

Examples of every car in this subforum were crushed in this idiotic scheme.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I got some pretty good later model parts at the pick-n-pull because of it. Just saying......
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Nope, cars had to be parted out within X many days, then crushed to prevent resale.
Not 1 vehicle a PNP or any other yard from CFC, just scrap metal.
Oh and btw, the most valuable part of the car, the engine, had to be permanently disabled.
Most prople dont consider the resorces needed to make a new car vs. recycling old cars, ie. estimated 39,000 gallons of water needed to make a new car. It's not just the metal, plastic, and glass....
IMHO, huge waste of resources and money.

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I got some pretty good later model parts at the pick-n-pull because of it. Just saying......

Last edited by garys 68; 11-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Nope, cars had to be parted out within X many days, then crushed to prevent resale.
Around here the PNP was full of them, they didn't go straight to scrap metal. True, they did lock up the engines by running something through them, but it didn't hurt the intakes fuel injectors, throttle bodies, wire harnesses, PCM's, transmissions ect. It probably was a waste, but I DID get some good stuff.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thay's not all you should be remembering,but a good start...Too bad it won't make any difference who gets in office,with either choice-everyone loses!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Around here the PNP was full of them, they didn't go straight to scrap metal. True, they did lock up the engines by running something through them, but it didn't hurt the intakes fuel injectors, throttle bodies, wire harnesses, PCM's, transmissions ect. It probably was a waste, but I DID get some good stuff.
Same here. Junkyard was full of them, they were marked on the top of the engine as cash for clunkers. Plenty of good parts off of them. It was a waste but I made out pretty good on parts.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Problem was without the engines it's hard to recover costs associated with salvaging. And they still only had 6 months before crushing.
At best a poorly thought out program without consideration for unintended consequences.
At worst a program to line someones pockets or an attemp to buy votes.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Oh and btw, the most valuable part of the car, the engine, had to be permanently disabled.
Most prople dont consider the resources needed to make a new car vs. recycling old cars, ie. estimated 39,000 gallons of water needed to make a new car. It's not just the metal, plastic, and glass....
IMHO, huge waste of resources and money.
True this was the most idiotic government plan to come down the pike in years and we as taxpayers had to foot the bill.At most only 10% of the parts were sold off those cars. They were supposed to be crushed within 30 days of taking them in. What a waste, if you look at the whole picture it does not make any sense at all. Even from a Green stand point it does not make sense like Gary 68 said. The energy and raw materials wasted by not recycling these cars alone. This also does not account for all the related auto industry that no longer have these cars on the road to sell parts for and service, from the recycler that no longer even has a core for that car , from the dealer , the Auto Zones , body shops it goes on and on the ripple affect is far reaching. This was not a boost to the economy , even the new car dealers if they are honest will tell you it was a bad deal. True it boosted new car sales that September and October.But those are sales stolen from the future , that would have happened in the course of time. So people that would have bought normally later that year or into new year rushed in to give up there perfectly fine SUV , Truck and other nice car for a New car that only got 6 mpg better mileage. Sure it was a good deal for consumer , with total discounts in 4-5 grand range they all rushed in , at our expense.

Last edited by omc8; 11-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wikipedia has a pretty good write up on cash for clunkers. Interesting information there. Pretty much no two opinions assessing that program agree.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yawn, go on Oprah. save the rest of us from reading your crap.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend works at a Dodge dealership down here......the guys that worked at that dealership removed engines, trannys, rear-ends and all kinds of other **** from dozens and dozens of cars for their own use and to sell.

People at dealerships across this country made 10's of millions in stolen car parts because of this dirtbag Obamas scam of a program.......

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Launching!

local junkyard had several trucks and vans with 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0's that were turned in for cash for clunkers and the motors were locked up...we werent allowed to pull heads or anything off of them....******* sad....
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Dammit..Oprah is busy not saying anything bad about Obamas response to Sarah....while repeating every false acusation about Katrina..
Now quit bothering the prophet of our time..Oprah ...lol

Originally Posted by leon phelps
yawn, go on Oprah. save the rest of us from reading your crap.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

The age old ploy to get us all driving small euro sized cars.....we need to kick this global warming thing into high gear, cold winters suck.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it worked out for me; got maximum credit for an old Dodge van I couldn't sell, and got my wife a new Camry.

What became apparent right away, was the dealership buzzing with activity. Sales people making commison, car prep's working long hours, truckers delivering cars, finance, insurance; lot's of people working in an otherwise slow economy.

Andy1
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Andy1
Well, it worked out for me; got maximum credit for an old Dodge van I couldn't sell, and got my wife a new Camry.

What became apparent right away, was the dealership buzzing with activity. Sales people making commison, car prep's working long hours, truckers delivering cars, finance, insurance; lot's of people working in an otherwise slow economy.

Andy1
The old broken window fallacy as us economists refer to it. Break something( or in this case call it broken even though it's not) so it has to be fixed.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Normally I'm not a a guy to say much about whom is the president but cash for clunkers? Obama's ploy to trade in paid for for cars so people could go deeper in debt. For 3-4 miles per gallon more? Understand the auto industry needs help but from inside from the top down not from Obama cronies. Didn't Obama sit on a board with Ayers, the terrorist that would of killed US servicemen like me because we wore the uniform?
I say cash for idiots that thought US auto makers could stay afloat because Obama held out the cash like the the typical Chicago loan shark he is. Pay day is coming and the "vig" is going to be ever so painfull.Tell me if the goverment cashed out of the Chevrolet stock it holds GM wouldn't fold like a house of cards. This comes from a true GM guy but I think that's what it may take to get GM right again.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

A little late to this thread....

1, whats this got to do with conversions?

2, maybe we can take a look at this F-up'ed economy and remember that the deregulations of banks by George Bush and the Republicans allowed financial institutions to run wild, causing most of whats been going on these last four years....Obama has not been fantastic, but again, the Republican party has been stalling many of his efforts to improve our situation -just shows you the Republican party is more interested in making Obama and the Democrats look bad than helping out the working class of America.
Both parties pretty much suck, but the Democrats are by far the lessor of the two evils.

Also, someone suggested I watch a documentary called Inside jog......
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn i need 3800 for my pos 1999 blazer.....its worth 1K now.....bring it..

like a wix card with no limit
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to close this down. Keep the political discussion to the seatstaysup.com not here.

Quick Reply: Remember Cash for Clunkers when you vote tomorrow