Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Stand Alone Wire Harness Fuse Block Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 Stand Alone Wire Harness Fuse Block Question...

Is a factory fuse block a requirement to build a proper standalone LS1 wire harness? I have a factory van harness, but I do not have the factory van fuse block. It is okay (or ideal) to build my own (new) fuse block like the one pictured below? Would doing that make it okay or acceptable to NOT install the factory fuse block? I guess I am having trouble wrapping my head around the ideal of what the final standalone wire harness needs in terms of fuse protection. I plan on omitting unneeded stuff from the engine and only running required things like fuel pump relay, O2 sensors, MAF, injectors, coils, etc. I’d assume a fuse block of some kind would be needed, but I just don't know if this one below is sufficient for the standalone configuration. Thoughts?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need the factory fuse block. I use a aftermarket fuse block and only use 8 fused circuits. I fired my LS1 on a engine stand just using the 6 main wires to run the engine. You can see the fuse box mounted in the center of my dash. That fuse box is for engine management only.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Stand Alone Wire Harness Fuse Block Question...-engine.jpg   LS1 Stand Alone Wire Harness Fuse Block Question...-fuses.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hoopty
You don't need the factory fuse block. I use a aftermarket fuse block and only use 8 fused circuits. I fired my LS1 on a engine stand just using the 6 main wires to run the engine. You can see the fuse box mounted in the center of my dash. That fuse box is for engine management only.
Hey man, I really appreciate your input on that. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to tie in a factory fuse block especially when no salvage yard around here has one. It'll sure make life a heck of a lot easier just making my own. My weekend's gonna be a whole lot funner I can tell already.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The fuse block is usually is the hardest thing to build for the DIY guys. Thats why I have my DIY kits, they come with everything you need to convert your harness to stand alone. It even comes with some general instructions. It includes the OBD port too! Price is $150. Here is a link to my rewire page, if you scroll down you will find the fuse block that is used with that kit. It comes with everything needed

http://www.bp-automotive.com/LS1_Rewire_Service.html

Fan Wiring and relays
ignition power relay
starter relay
fuel pump relay
A/C relay
12 way fuse block
instructions
harness tape
OBD Port
Pre-terminated fan leads for pcm

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
The fuse block is usually is the hardest thing to build for the DIY guys. Thats why I have my DIY kits, they come with everything you need to convert your harness to stand alone. It even comes with some general instructions. It includes the OBD port too! Price is $150. Here is a link to my rewire page, if you scroll down you will find the fuse block that is used with that kit. It comes with everything needed

http://www.bp-automotive.com/LS1_Rewire_Service.html

Fan Wiring and relays
ignition power relay
starter relay
fuel pump relay
A/C relay
12 way fuse block
instructions
harness tape
OBD Port
Pre-terminated fan leads for pcm
Where can the fuse block, with 6 relays, be purchased?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

I believe the reason most DIYers use a stock fuse box is because of the relays.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Where can the fuse block, with 6 relays, be purchased?
That page is about to be revamped. I have discontinued the use of the two relay 8 way fuse block because the modular system is of a MUCH higher quality. It will still be the same price, and same function, just higher quality.

I strive for the highest quality, even though the modular components cost me more than the old style, I feel there are too many companies that sacrifice quality to either make more money, or make their prices cheaper.

I have absolutely no interest in selling a low quality product at the expense of making a little more money.

With that said, the base fuse block will look a lot like the premium only it will have two relays and only two modules in it instead of three. Still comes with covers and the covers are labeled inside!

The price for the two way system is $85 and can be upgraded in the future!! Thanks for your interest!

Free shipping for all fellow veterans, active duty, reserve, and national guard. ALL who served or have served. THANK YOU!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default Harness rework

I just picked up a 2008 5.3 I am going to swap into my 1971 k5. I got whole engine with wiring and want to run 4l60e behind it. I was wondering how much it would cost to go through harness? They cut off at fuse block and near crank sensor area I can solder and heat shrink main cut but wanted to have fuse block installed, emissions removed and 4l60e connection installed. It looks like 6 speed auto connection on it now.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I went to the junk yard and got a 90s GM engine fuse block.

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/fuse_block_800.jpg
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I was forunate and found a couple of power distrbution blocks at a local pick a part. I was able to strip them out and wire to my needs. I can tell you that for the money if I had to do it over I would get the BP one. I would probably get his harness made to my specs as well. I have a lot of time into the electrical side of my swap. It's not really hard, just tedious.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Dang near free at u wrench it. Not new, not fancy but reliable and functional safe and can handle plenty of current.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old thread.. but ok..

You can pretty much turn any OEM fuse / Relay box into a stand alone and tied into your Engine Harness. You just need to de-pin and re-pin as needed.

I was going to use a 2002 F-Body setup on my Nova (see thread), I had it re-pinned, Bench tested and ready to go. But it was so ugly and big, I just couldn't find a location to fit and look good in the engine bay, I gave up on it.

But using the BP setup is a good option and there are other aftermarket kits also.

BP
Old 12-17-2014, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Dang near free at u wrench it. Not new, not fancy but reliable and functional safe and can handle plenty of current.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qiidHlVogXw
sweet jorts!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What fords have that relay panel?

Quick Reply: LS1 Stand Alone Wire Harness Fuse Block Question...