Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Trans Am - 496 BB Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1971 Trans Am - 496 BB Chevy

working on swapping in a mild 496 560 hp BB into my 71 TA (pro touring project)

car has a tremec 5 spd, 10 bolt disk brake rear. I have a few questions. looking to lower the car (has fresh springs and sits WAY up there) considering a the 2" drop spindle, cutting the stock springs, or buying replacement springs.

also like to drop the rear, and probably need replacement leaf springs although I would like feedback on lowering blocks

also like to hear about alternatives for tubular control arms and maybe even coil overs for the front.

the current 455 is nice for cruising, but this is a non matching number car, and I'm more of a hot rodder than a collector

I'd eventually like to twin turbo the big block and really turn up the wick to keep up with my TT Z06 (800 rwhp)

thanks for any advice!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the QA1 coilover front kit. I used this in my GTO. As for the rear, look at DSE for a 4 bar and coilover conversion. If you want to keep the leaf springs look at a Hotchkis TVS kit.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautifuly TA. I miss my 73.

I agree on the Hotchkis. Nice products.

As far as the TT 496 BB. I assume a BBC?

Hell no.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
Beautifuly TA. I miss my 73.

I agree on the Hotchkis. Nice products.

As far as the TT 496 BB. I assume a BBC?

Hell no.

yes, BBC, why not a TT 496??? I'd need to drop the compression down or run e85 all the time. another option I have is a vortec blower I already have which would probably give me all the power I need but might be a bit tough to package. I don't want a high rise hood. might take an "elbow" feed on a lower rise intake or one of the new edlebrock fuel injection tunnel style intakes to fit and get the pipes going right.

I'm sure I'll be pretty happy with 565 hp, but not for long!! the TA is a pretty heavy car and even with alum heads the BB is a big lump.

like to do an LSX motor, but it's a bit more pricey to go that route unless I sell off all the BB stuff. tough decision, I'm getting more respect for the LSX and saving the weight would certainly make the car handle better.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't say enough about the LSX swap advantages. Relatively inexpensive to buy a good engine, excellent power potential even normally aspirated. Astounding fuel economy, I see 23 mpg at 70 mph and light weight. You can make he same power the BBC will produce out of a smaller displacement with far better fuel economy and better weight distribution. I have not yet had my 6.0 on the dyno yet, but expect to see over 500 hp, all from a basically stock LQ4 with a Magnacharger.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that the 496 BBC doesn't have even a fraction of the go fast parts availability of its more well known brother, the 454. I'm not saying they aren't out there, just that it will cost you more to get where you want. With your concern about weight, I would stick with an engine where an aluminum block is available. My personal preference for your car would be Pontiac/IAII, then LSx, then traditional BBC, but that's me. Do a google search for "Butler aluminum pontiac block" and be prepared to drool at the results. Hows does 2888 HP grab you? Of course, that's an all-out drag race engine, but you get the idea.

FWIW, going the the LSx route on my 2nd Gen, and putting in a LOT of weight reduction, I got the car in my sig down to around 2850 pounds, without driver. It is a Non-AC car, with 'glass hood/trunk lid, lexan windows, and a bunch of other small mods.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure he is talking about a Stroker 454 and not the 8.1 engine.
To the op beautiful car man.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh
like to do an LSX motor, but it's a bit more pricey to go that route unless I sell off all the BB stuff.
A TT BBC is not cheap by any means.

I like the driveablility of the LS motors, no oil leaks, parts are relatively cheap, light weight etc.

Either way, beautiful car.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by menchaca
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure he is talking about a Stroker 454 and not the 8.1 engine.
To the op beautiful car man.

yes, it's a BB chevy 454 with a stroker crank. I might sell it outright and go with a built LS3. I could get a pretty decent price for the chevy engine which would about cover what I need to do the LS motor.

I'll probably just crooze it for a while. the 455 isn't that spectacular but the car really drives nice and I have alot of other go fast hot rods.

thanks for the compliments, it really is a fun car
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

interested in options for a twin turbo kit for an LSX motor

thinking maybe an AES iron block 390 with some decent LSA heads could be done for a decent price.

might even consider just putting a new LS3 motor in my twin turbo Z06 and freshening up the TT LS6 as a hand me down for the TA

the truck manifolds look like they could be made to work but I don't weld so I'm looking for help with the plumbing. like to try out the megasquirt 3 with 1000 injectors and a big fuel pump to be able to support about 800 hp.

I will also need a good dual disk clutch as I will likely stick with the tremec 5 spd. a 480LE would probably be a better way to go to work with the turbos if I can get the megasquirt computer to control the transmission too.

or perhaps the factory GM ecm out of the camaro or other car equipped with the 480LE. I've seen some decent deals on LS3/480LE combos that sure look tempting.

after converting my Z06 over to automatic the turbos really came alive and the car is a hoot to drive. thanks for any advice. this car will get lots of "planning" and other toys will need to be sold off before I can start the build

here's what I'm selling

1980 BB Chevy drag corvette, mild 468, alchy flying toilet, fully built frame with 4 link, modular 9 inch, turbo 400, runs 9.20s

1987 Turbo Buick (white GNX) built engine, runs 10s

1971 Tribute TA (mutt, 1977 TA that looks exactly like a 71) pontiact 400, turbo 400 trans

if anyone is interested, please get in touch.

also selling 496 chevy BB (stroker 454), h beam rods, 4 bolt block, 10.5 forged pistons, hyd cam, roller rockers, nice polished single plane intake

lots of other stuff lying around, might consider trades.

Quick Reply: 1971 Trans Am - 496 BB Chevy