Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
There's a 160-amp AC/Delco LS bolt-on that I'm sure a search would help you find...

(It has an 8-digit GM part number)
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Just saw this over on Renns, read the whole thread. Being a 911 fan and Camaro fan, this is the "cats meow". Fantastic job.
Any auto-x or "spirited" runs yet? how stout does she feel?

Anyways, great job, interesting read, well done. Thank you for your service to our country as well, as a civilian my whole life, i still salute y'all.

cheers, mike
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Teching In

This was one of the most enjoyable threads to read I've come across in a long time! Nice work Mr. Fierofly!

The most brilliant part of the build: the access panel that allows you to reach the back of the engine from inside the car. Why doesn't Porsche install those on all their 911's?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

You have no idea how nice a hatch like that would be with the stock motor, it's a damn ship in a bottle to work on! Half the work starts with "lower engine 3 inches" with the unsaid prepare to be sliced and diced. A sizable amount of things simply require engine removal (sigh)...
Old 04-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Just another reason to dump the ims bearing eating lump amd put some real power in it......
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Outlaw 911
Just another reason to dump the ims bearing eating lump amd put some real power in it......
Turbo motors don't have IMS bearings and it makes close to 750whp on E85 pump gas It would make more but the rods are weak
Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Yep the turbos are pretty much bullet proof but i was talking about the m96 in these cars. Infact its because the ims sucks that we get to do the things we do to them.
And the cost to get. 996 turbo to 750 hp would cost more than i have in my whole car.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Yeah the NA motors were pretty awful IMO. The turbo cars take less than you think though, good turbos, intercooler, fuel system, correct tune. Price of entry however is a good bit steeper. Oh, clutch is required. Silly Rabbit sells pretty much everything reasonably priced. A V8 costs way less than the engine build required to go any higher though for sure! I think a V8 swap is a wonderful way to go with the NA cars. The IMS crap killed a ton of these and the motor build prices are insanity! Porsche has had a few issues that should've resulted in recalls that they've gotten away with
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it seems a lot of my pictures that I posted during this build thread have been held hostage by photoBucket. They now want $39 a month to use their 3rd party hosting. NOT ME. So if you view my Profile photo albums you can find some. If you need specific ones, send me a message and I'll add them also. Sorry for the trouble this might cause.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Hopefully they will come to their senses and make it reasonably priced or someone like google, amazon or yahoo will rescue them from their horrible decision. I have been posting builds for over 10 years on various sites and all my images are dead now. Dick move by Photobucket..
Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Well it seems a lot of my pictures that I posted during this build thread have been held hostage by photoBucket. They now want $39 a month to use their 3rd party hosting. NOT ME. So if you view my Profile photo albums you can find some. If you need specific ones, send me a message and I'll add them also. Sorry for the trouble this might cause.
Originally Posted by shanghai_todd
Hopefully they will come to their senses and make it reasonably priced or someone like google, amazon or yahoo will rescue them from their horrible decision. I have been posting builds for over 10 years on various sites and all my images are dead now. Dick move by Photobucket..
I've been seeing that stupid P500 image all over the net in the forums where I am a member. Some idiot faux-crunched some numbers and said it would make them a bajillion dollars, but I am sure did not anticipate all the people who would flee and never come back. Idiots.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Fierofly, did you have any issues with getting 12v power to your ac compressor? I cant get any power to mine. I'm gonna check the pressure switch tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nope, only issue I had was, Kept blowing the 30amp fuse. Turned out, it needed a better ground. Only issue I have now with A/C is I need to snap the throttle before coming to a stop with the A/C on or the engine will stall. Still needs a tune, LOL.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 AM
8 Second Club

stupid photobucket ,,, I guess a lot of us are in the same boat now. any other hosting sites you guys recommend?

fierofly , does the car die when the ac compressor kicks in at idle?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
stupid photobucket ,,, I guess a lot of us are in the same boat now. any other hosting sites you guys recommend?

fierofly , does the car die when the ac compressor kicks in at idle?
Nope, Only if I push in clutch and come to a stop. If I press clutch then blip the throttle then come to a stop it works fine.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Fierofly, does your ABS work? Mine has never worked and the ABS & PSM lights are on...I get why the PSM light is on, but haven't looked into why ABS would be as well. (I believe the vehicle speed comes from the ABS wheel speed sensors, so I know at least that portion is working).

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by First350
Fierofly, does your ABS work? Mine has never worked and the ABS & PSM lights are on...I get why the PSM light is on, but haven't looked into why ABS would be as well. (I believe the vehicle speed comes from the ABS wheel speed sensors, so I know at least that portion is working).

Thanks!

Yep, my ABS light is on, but I'm not sure when or if it has always been on. hasn't been on my priority list to troubleshot it. Car runs and drives great. I've got around15k miles on it so far. My main annoying issues are the random reset of the Porsche ECU to get the water temp gage to work and I have to blip the throttle prior to coming to a complete stop with the AC on.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Yep, my ABS light is on, but I'm not sure when or if it has always been on. hasn't been on my priority list to troubleshot it. Car runs and drives great. I've got around15k miles on it so far. My main annoying issues are the random reset of the Porsche ECU to get the water temp gage to work and I have to blip the throttle prior to coming to a complete stop with the AC on.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if your ABS actually works? (My light is on, and my ABS does not work). I read on a Porsche forum where someone took a 996 ABS system to install into a 914 (?), they had to find a pre-CAN 996, which only has a 2 row ABS connector (whereas our CAN ABS has 3 rows). I assume the combined ABS/PSM just gives up with no 996 engine signal.

My Coolant gauge does the same thing. I got a simple digital gauge that displays any OBDII readings, which I plugged into the LS3...that's how I monitor my coolant temps.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by First350
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if your ABS actually works? (My light is on, and my ABS does not work). I read on a Porsche forum where someone took a 996 ABS system to install into a 914 (?), they had to find a pre-CAN 996, which only has a 2 row ABS connector (whereas our CAN ABS has 3 rows). I assume the combined ABS/PSM just gives up with no 996 engine signal.

My Coolant gauge does the same thing. I got a simple digital gauge that displays any OBDII readings, which I plugged into the LS3...that's how I monitor my coolant temps.
Not sure if it works, it hasn't hit my list of things to do (a long list that's not just the car, LOL)

I found the power wire for the Porsche ECU and installed a toggle switch under the dash, it gets used maybe once a week on average.

Also, starter will not work if this switch is off, cheap anti theft, just don't bump while cleaning and wonder why car won't start LOL
The following users liked this post:
Plumber452 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that there has not been any recent activity on this thread but just wanted to add my two cents worth. Excellent job and post!!! Now for a stupid question. I didn't see any lifts in any of your pictures. What kind or combination of lifts did you use? I'm starting one of these swaps and I'm going to purchase a lift but want to get the most affordable and easiest to use for this application. I have a standard 8' ceiling height. Also, how is the car doing?

Quick Reply: 2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion