Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS swap

Hey newbie here wanting to swap a LS engine into my 65 Impala. I've read and read and read and read more and still unsure of what route to go. I have a couple of option here and uanble to decide what would be best buy for swap. One guy has a ls from a 2001 camaro with 80 thousands miles on it, already pulled with wire harness and pcm. Another guy has a 2000 camaro car that has been wrecked and totaled. They both are asking $2000. I also have an option to buy a 2000 silverado for $1500. It is the only vehicle that has ran in the last year. Any suggestion from you smart people here?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of performance are you after? Worried about weight? If it's just a cruiser, I would opt for the truck, you can part the rest of the truck out for close to the 1500.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Just looking for a cruiser. Something reliable. Power isn't a big concern although i wouldn't mind a lil more than my current 283 and powerglide have to offer. My concern with the truck is it seems like there are alot of parts need from a camaro to complete the swap. Kinda wondering if maybe the camaro would be worth it just because it has all parts and also about 60000 miles less than the truck.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You swapping engine only or trans as well? Do the camaro motors come with transmissions? 2000 seems high for just motor harness and PCM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Teching In

If i purchased the camaro that has been wrecked or the truck, i will swap trans also. I have three options
1. 2002 Camaro SS engine with accesories, wire harness, and pcm already pulled (thought is was a 2001 z28 but owner confirmed its from a 2002 ss)

2. 2000 Silverado truck. Engine, Trans and all accessories are still all in truck with is still driveable with about 186000 miles

3. 2000 z28 Camaro that has been totaled out. Motor, trans and all accessories are still in this car as well.

Thanks for all help and input.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would normally choose the truck engine but the mileage is high, relatively speaking and the truck intake may not fit under the stock impala hood. Keep in mind that even if you get a truck engine (drive by wire) you can always convert it to drive by cable if you dont get the extra components you need (pedal, throttle actuator contol (TAC) module, and TAC harness).

Also keep in mind that if you can get a good deal on a engine without a harness or PCM there is always the aftermarket (we sell the harness for $499, PCM $200). As stated before if weight or performance are not an issue, try to find an engine with low mileage even if it is a truck as it will be more budget friendly.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Yea pretty sure if i go with truck motor I will need to switch the intake, oil pan and accessories. The drive by wire issue is something I didn't think about and will have to research. And I have saw your company mentioned on several forums and see that you guys produce high quality work and your on my list of contacts for any parts I may have to order. LS engines seem to be a rare find in my area and I can't find many forsale and most trucks that are for sale have usually crossed the 200 thousand mile marker.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Woodz
Yea pretty sure if i go with truck motor I will need to switch the intake, oil pan and accessories. The drive by wire issue is something I didn't think about and will have to research. And I have saw your company mentioned on several forums and see that you guys produce high quality work and your on my list of contacts for any parts I may have to order. LS engines seem to be a rare find in my area and I can't find many forsale and most trucks that are for sale have usually crossed the 200 thousand mile marker.
Did you search CAR-PART.COM?

This is a database of salvage yards which can be search by your geographical area.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Did you search CAR-PART.COM?

This is a database of salvage yards which can be search by your geographical area.

Jon
PSI
Thanks for the site. Didn't know about it. Appreciate all the help.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per post #1 if the truck you are looking at is a Silverado and not a premium vehicle like the escalade or denali the in the chances of the engine being drive by wire are very HIGHLY remote.

Most likely the vehicles you are looking at are all drive by cable.

We offer engine management packages ranging from harness, pcm, fuel system packages. We also offer three different tiers of harnesses with MANY, many options- including custom tailored to your VEHICLE, not just the engine.

Our base package starts at $650 for harness and pcm. For harness, pcm, and an inline pump fuel system our package starts at $1,100.

Feel free to look at our site, we just recently remodeled it and are adding new pictures everyday. There are plenty of pictures around here on this forum and on the site!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Last edited by BP Automotive; 03-01-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Teching In

If I get a 5.7 ls1 from a Camaro, will I need to change the front accesories and oil pan. I've been reading several post and they all seem to say something different. If the front accessories and oil pan will work I think I will go with that and order a harness from PSI.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

If the truck is a 4.8 or 5.3 i would go with the camaro motor because you will want the torque in that big car.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Teching In

truck is a 5.3. Looks like I may have a long 5 hr trip to pick up the donor camaro.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

If you can get the whole wrecked camaro for 2k I would do that. I bought a complete 99 Z28 camaro and parted it out. I kept the motor, trans, ecu, and wiring harness, and after that I still made around 4k on everything. I even sold the body of the car. I am into my ls1/6 speed swap for $0 out of pocket. I would suggest that if you can get the whole car.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Today I was able to get a 2002 camaro. Plan to get engine pulled and start the cleaning process Monday.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr_Woodz
Today I was able to get a 2002 camaro. Plan to get engine pulled and start the cleaning process Monday.
Awesome! Im sure you will be very happy with your purchase! There are a ton of parts you can use from that car, and you can part a bunch of it out too!

Ill be watching your thread, if you have any questions we will all be glad to help!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: Another LS swap