Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Mustang LS build on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Mustang LS build on a budget

Well here goes nothing lol. This is going to be a relatively slow build as dirt racing season is almost here and the late model has priority right now. My goal is to see just how affordable it can be to build an LS foxbody Mustang.

The car: 1990 Ford Mustand LX. 2.3 with a 5spd, hatchback. Craigslist find, owner said it overheated, put a fabbed aluminum radiator in it and it still overheated, found out it had a cracked head. Abandoned it in his buddies yard and needed to unload it quick. Bought it for $500 and it is 100% rust free (which is a miracle up nort here). Its got a few minor problems but overall its a great donor.

The plan is really any LS motor with some quick and affordable upgrades (cam, springs, etc) for now and eventually and LQ4 with a hairdryer once its on the road.

Picked up a 4L80E trans off craigslist for $200 and working on a 2007 5.3 with 246k from the local scrapyard for $300.

Thats where the project stands at the moment, will get pics up ASAP and will update progress soon.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Nice,looking forward to updates.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a lot of stuff to get it up to v8 fox body snuff as well. But it shouldnt be too bad finding it. Wouldnt bother putting 4l80e in it until you have the 6.0 and turbo in. It will just kill the power of the 5.3.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Finally a status update

Were racing about 3 nights a week so progress is minimal right now. Got the motor torn down to a short block and it looks absolutely beautiful. No ridge, still has crosshatching on the walls, heads look perfect. It looks like its got 40k on it and its got just under a quarter million! And it only cost me $300 from top to bottom.
Also picked up:
4L80E for $200
T5 for $300 (Not sure if im going to use it yet)
LS1 intake for $175
TSP 233/239 cam for $200

Still need to get all the chassis swap stuff but most of the stuff for the motor is coming together nicely. Will get the shortblock sent off to get cam bearings and cam installed and start putting it together. Probably go with LS9 head gaskets, LS7 lifters, and Isky valve springs and some hardened pushrods. Hopefully get all the parts together by the end of the season so I can at least get the motor to the dyno and get her running on corn and get the car in the shop and tearing it down.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Get a T56, the T5 is pretty much useless and hard to find a clutch to use with an LS if there even is one.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Teching In

T56 is the goal but finding one for under $2k here is tough. Its on the wish list tho lol
Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Update:

Got the AFCO K member and mounts. pulled the car out of the trees and getting ready to start disassembly. Just need to get the front coilovers and camber/caster plates so I can make it a roller.

Got the engine ready to get cam bearings when my engine builder asked if I would be interested in a L92? Absolutely I said. They bought it as a core from the dealership and were going to use it in his Daytona prototype but never got around to it. Apperently it just bent a valve and hammered a piston. Still waiting on a price as he just took a trip to the hospital with broken ribs, punctured lung, and broken collarbone from a dirt bike wreck. So engine wise, Im in a waiting game til I hear back from them.

Slowly but surely it will come together.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Engine update: Sold the 5.3 and bought the L92. Heads are done with LS3 valves, BTR 660 springs with ti retainers. Will be on E85, just need to choose my intake setup and injectors and will probably have Tick spec a cam for it. Should be able to make some nice power for under $3500.

Quick Reply: 1990 Mustang LS build on a budget